close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone own the Thunder Ranch Mossberg?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by glock2740, Nov 30, 2011.

1. After a long wait I finally received mine. The LOP is perfect for me. The breacher barrel is not neccessary and adds a little weight to the front of the shotgun. No big deal though. I do like the front sight, easy to pick up. I cannot figure out what type of finish it is but it looks good and seems like it will hold up. the forearm is great with the built in's for a light and the rails do not interfere with grasping it and the lower rail is not uncomfortable. For the "extras" you get for the price you pay, this model is a great value. Overall very happy with it.

2. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Why would you want a sling on a home defense shotgun?

3. Providence

Providence

Feb 5, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    No

Mine didn't come with a sling. I can't really see a use for as sling in my situation.

4. Kilrain

Kilrain Señor Member

Apr 25, 2001
    On the road to Shambala
    I've often wondered about the Thunder Ranch Mossberg too. I get marketing and what not, but in this video, which is admittedly about 5 years old, he basically says that he really doesn't know anything about Mossberg shotguns but that he's heard good things:

[ame="http://youtu.be/KdW2TAfN3mQ"]Clint Smith 870[/ame]

As for a sling on an HD shotgun, if it is essentially a barricade gun meant to be used to defend a fixed position only, then I agree no sling needed. If you plan on taking you and yours and leaving, it has an application.

5. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Nov 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I inquired about the Thunder Ranch yesterday at the gun shop because I was actually looking into checking one out. He logged onto to both of his suppliers' websites and they are both showing zero. :crying: He does have something similar in 20ga but it has the regular stock with the 14" LOP which I don't care for but I can always swap it out with the Hogue I guess.

6. Providence

Providence

Feb 5, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    I like it for the shorter length of pull and the forearm. For me, it was cheaper to get the Thunder Ranch than to buy a standard 500 and the accessories. It has a nice balance. I've not regretted the purchase. As for availability, everything is a little crazy right now.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. Whazoo

Whazoo

Oct 11, 2009
    I picked one up a few weeks ago, I like the short stock and rail attachment points - I will be smoothing off the rails once I settle on a weapon light - I have added a 1/8" neopreme cheek pad & had the butt stock top and bottom beveled. It's a good basic shotgun - light and well thought out - as for the breacher, I don't think it's a bad idea to have a sharp pointy end on the shotgun, especially if it could prevent a $20K legal defense in a high risk situation...I haven't shot it enough to consider it broken in, but I plan to run through 2 cases of claybirds in the near future...if I learn anything new about it will post an update.

8. MIWildcat

MIWildcat

Jan 6, 2013
    I picked up a Thunder Ranch last fall and I'm quite pleased with the shotgun. In some ways, it is classic Mossberg, as it does rattle a bit and it just doesn't feel as tight as a Remington.

However, this thing works! The shortened stock, combined with the shortened barrel, make this a great shotgun for home defense. I would not recommend clearing rooms, but if you needed to do so, the length of the gun would make it idea for doing so. The addition of rails and the sight are great. I had thought I'd prefer ghost rings like some of the 590A1's have, but after using this little beast, I don't think it is necessary.

The breacher is a bit of a turn-off for some, but having a pointy end to poke with isn't a bad idea, honestly. The barrel is quite sharp and you could do a bit of damage with it if necessary.

Overall, I was a bit skeptical about this gun until I picked it up and now I really love it. Great design, great gun and my biggest complaint is the name on the side. Otherwise, I would recommend it!

9. moeman

moeman

Feb 15, 2004
    So CA
    Overkill? probably, but it doesn't impact the function of the gun--so not that bad.

10. moeman

moeman

Feb 15, 2004
    So CA
    I do have a Mossberg semi blackwater in 12G... Impulse buy that I came out really good. Good hd/3 gun shotgun.

I was born and raised a Remington guy so this is a balanced view IMO. I was shopping for a versamax remmy tactical and since they were no where to be found I bought this mossberg. I love it--rail+ fiberoptics right out of the box.
    [​IMG]

Anyway... sorry you may love pumps but since I have semi auto shotguns (11-87)pistols (many)and rifles (many) that work completely fine I advocate semiauto shootguns.

I like the FN and Bennellis too! But Mossberg pricing is aggressive.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  11. burttrans

burttrans

Aug 17, 2012
    What is steet price for one of these? I like it?