Anyone own the Thunder Ranch Mossberg?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by glock2740, Nov 30, 2011.

1. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

2. looks ok
    didnt know thunder ranch was teaming with mossberg. i always though clint smith was an 870 guy.

3. I don’t understand why it has a lock busting attachment. I would think this model is for Home Defense. Not for breaking into a home. I would rather have a Ghost Ring sights on it than that muzzle attachment.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Lame!:shakehead:<o:p></o:p>

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Because of the Chicks Dig It points.......Mossberg's putting the breaching attachment on half their shotguns these days because idiots think it looks cool.

5. That breaching device is lame. Completely impractical unless you are on an entry team.

6. Well stated. Mossberg should be ashamed of themselves.

bc

7. I've been thinking about the TR model well. My local store has it for $350. I need a little shorter LOP (I am short), and this would keep from spending the money on a new stock. I have an unused pistol light, so I could attach it to the side rail. No extra money there either. The breacher doesn't interest me, but apparently Clint Smith has a retention technique that uses the breacher.

8. I see nothing to be ashamed about on Mossberg's part. They probably only do it because they make money on it. Plenty of idiots out there.

9. Well, I am into it if it makes the chicks cloths fall off. :wolf:

10. Feeding the idiots is something to be ashamed of.

bc

11. Angry Fist

Angry Fist *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I'd rather have the 20" barrel and full length mag tube.

12. It's a business. You cater to what people want. That's how you stay in business.
    If you dont like it, don't buy it.

13. Looks good to me. I wish they had built it around the 590a1, but that would make it more expensive.

There sure is a lot of hate toward those "breacher" attachments. I don't understand why. Of course the idea of a normal home owner breaching doors is stupid. It is a good choice for muzzle strikes though, and it protects the muzzle if the gun is dropped or the muzzle impacts something when moving in confined areas.

14. Not one person said that they actually owned one in this thread. Well I bought one (yet to receive it from Buds) for a number of reasons. This will be a home defense shotgun period. I wanted to mossberg 500 because of the controls. The shorter length of pull appealed to me without buying a new stock and it comes standard with this model. The front sight I wanted, would also have been an extra expense I didn't want to invest in. The finish wasn't "blued". Comes with sling and a forend with a way to attach a light without spending money on a surefire forend. The price was right about in line with what you are getting and is above their economy models they sell that has no metal forearm tube. The balance of a 6 shot model feels better to me than a 20" barrel with a long magazine tube.

Things I can live with that I wouldn't have bought on my own, the logo on the receiver and the breacher barrel. Does it bother me about the barrel? Not at all, but the extras you get on the shotgun, at least for me, outweighed passing on this model. I am pretty sure that the barrel will shoot like a non breacher barrel.

I will be happy to give a full review when I actually get it.

15. I bought my Mossberg 500A new back in the early 1990&#8217;s. It has an 8 shot magazine and I added the heat shield and side saddle because I picked them up cheap at a gun show. I still wish it had Ghost Ring sights. A friend and I traded butt stocks. I put a 590 stock on it because I needed the extra length of pull. He needed a shorter stock for his 590.

[​IMG] <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

#15 smokin762, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  16. i had no problem with mossberg's production 'accessories' they put on some of their shotguns UNTIL I saw the chainsaw grip on a shot show vid...and then saw it in their catalog. ridiculous

17. No worries about that.

bc

18. I actually own one of these. It is my first shotgun, but I definitely didn't buy it just for the breacher barrel. I bought it b/c it came already equipped with the 2 mods I would have made to any other HD shotgun I was considering. It had rails for a light on the forend and came with a sling. Call me an idiot, but it was nice to get that all in one package.

As far as the gun goes, I certainly enjoyed the 25 shells I put through it last weekend. My shoulder did not, but that's to be expected. I did get comments on the gun at the range, and all were positive on the breacher barrel. It does look pretty badass, but I only deem it practical as a jabbing weapon after I exhaust the 5-6 shots in the gun. So if I ever have to fight a zombie horde and I'm out if ammo, at least I can jab them in the eye...

19. I am seriously thinking about buying one for the same reasons as you.

20. I picked up a Moss 500 TR. Actually, Santa stopped by and gave it to me. He said, "Say hello to your new little friend!"

I really like it, but I'll admit that I'm a little embarrassed by the breacher barrel. It does look b. a., but it's overboard... too much. So I'm telling my friend about it, he said, "Don't worry about it. It's for poking the bad guy to see if he is dead." That made me feel better!