close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone load for the .38 Long Colt?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by freakshow10mm, Aug 22, 2010.

1. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Or know where to find factory ammo? Got a local guy looking for it. I'd rather buy factory and sell it to him than spend money and load a couple hundred rounds and be done with it. I saw Starline draws brass for it. Who makes dies? Graf's has brass but no loaded ammo.

2. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Lee makes dies for it. Would be the cheap way too go for dies.

3. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I think a 550 with a casefeeder would be enough for that round...

4. freakshow10mm

Thanks.

Because that response is entirely relevant to loading 100-200 rounds in a one time deal. :upeyes:

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Right, that would be what we call a "joke".

6. ustate

ustate NRA Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
  7. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    I think you can trim 38 Spl. Brass down too 38 long colt. None of my books has anything with .38 long Colt in it. Not even my old Lyman book has it.

8. freakshow10mm

I saw Ultramax and BHA load for the 38 LC so I'll just go with them instead of giving myself a headache. Thanks for the help guys!

9. JerryO

JerryO

Sep 30, 2006
    SE MN
    .38 long colt.

I bought a colt .38 in the 50's. (made in 1901)

It has straight thru chambers, well only a slight taper anyway.

And the barrel has a .357 bore with .364 grooves.

Early models had something like .380 chambers and .380 grooves in the barrel. The bullets were heeled, like a .22 long rifle. The final design was the .38 special with about a .380 case and a .357 bullet. Mine was an in between design, why I don't know. Nor do I know what should be shot in it.

I use to shoot .38 specials with lead bullets, but got a lot of flyers. Perhaps 148 grain hollow base wad cutters would expand enough to fill the grooves and with .357 brass could come close to the end of the cylinder.

I have seen .38 long colt ammo, but without a description of what chambers or barrel groove diameters are expected.

So it seems to me, the first thing to do, is to find out what chambers and throats are in the cylinder, then what bore and grove diameter are in the barrel.

JerryO