Anyone know what the heck this is?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by M2 Carbine, Nov 17, 2005.

1. In the last day or so these lines began appearing at the top of the monitor screen.
    I suspect it's a monitor problem.

I just tried "Print Screen" to get a picture of it and the lines don't appear on the copy/pasted picture in the picture editor (Paint Shop Pro).

So I took a digital picture of the screen and this is it.
    The number of lines varies from about a dozen to six.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

Try to degauss the monitor.

3. That sounded like a good idea to me but it didn't correct the problem.

As much as I hated to move all the accumulated junk around my computers I hooked my other monitor to this machine. No lines.

So I reconnected this monitor.
    No lines;P

Even though I checked the monitor connection before, if the lines don't start again pretty quick, I guess it was a problem in the connection.;Q

4. fatlander

fatlander Comrade

try cleaning the connector once in a while, use air spray or alcohol based solution,
    the same goes for cards (memory included) use rubber eraser on the PCB connectors

5. UtahIrishman

Silver Member

sometime the cable that connects the monitor to the computer gets messed up. Don't know how else to describe that. If you're monitor's cable is replacable you might consider a new cable. I've done that several times with good success.

You can also try increasing the refresh rate.

6. Last time I had this happen it was a video card going out.

7. Update.

The lines came back yesterday.

I disconnected the monitor plug at the computer, can't disconnect it from the monitor.

The problem is definately in the monitor plug or computer socket. When I plugged the cable back into the computer, no lines.

Like fatlander said, it could just need a cleaning.
    I have to put that on the list.:)

But it's time for something to take a crap, I think the warranty has run out.

8. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

try adjusting your screen refresh rate and see if that had any effect on it