close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone know how to get this lead off my finish?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Chris Brines, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Chris Brines

Chris Brines
    Expand Collapse

I tried using Shooters Choice, Hoppes 9, and neither one of them were able to take this off. All I did was put it on a cotton pad and tried to scrub it out. Not sure what abrasive I can use on this to take these lead scuff marks off my cylinder, without damaging the finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Jim Watson

Jim Watson
    Expand Collapse

Lead Away cloth will probably get that off, and fine steel wool will for sure.
    But either will take off the blue if you keep on cleaning it back to bare metal.

I read a lot of advertising about lead removers but the ones I have tried don't work very well.

3. Chris Brines

Chris Brines
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I don't wanna damage my finish. But this stuff is NOT coming off.

4. rayetter

rayetter
    Expand Collapse

Not bein a smart alec, but shoot three or four cylinders worth of ammo, clear the weapon and wipe with a cloth and hoppes 9. only thing thats worked for me. Hope this helps.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Lead away works great. It also will get rid of the black stuff in front of the cylinder. I know it works great on stainless guns. Not sure of blue guns.
    Shooting jacket rounds after shooting lead does not remove the lead buildup.

#5 unclebob, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  6. R*E

R*E
    Expand Collapse

Flitz metal polish works but used carefully. A brass brush also works.

7. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

Lead Away cleaning cloth,if your gun isn't blued because it will also remove the bluing.
    The other way to remove it by just shooting and I'm not joking is to shoot six rounds of black powder,BP burns hotter and doesn't leave lead rings at the cylinder mouths.
    SJ 40

8. Chris Brines

Chris Brines
    Expand Collapse

It is blued. I think I'll just shoot a box of factory FMJ's. I don't know much about Black Powder. Never used it. Can I just load my 357's with it? I use Unique with a 158 grain LSWC right now.

9. ca survivor

ca survivor
    Expand Collapse

don't use black powder, you will end up with RUST then.

10. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

Not if one has a clue about using black powder.

Black powder will absorb water if left for long periods of time without cleaning.

By cleaning shortly after a shooting session with for example Ballistol or MOS,Murphy's oil solution,1/3 Murphys oil soap,1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide and 1/3 rubbing alcohol.
    Your guns will be clean and rust free and will have no lead rings on the cylinder faces.

A good site to learn the basics of loading BP cartridges.

http://www.davidscottharper.com/shoot/BP_for_CAS.htm

It may not be for every one but to load a box to use at the end of your shooting sessions isn't difficult. SJ 40

#10 SJ 40, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  11. Chris Brines

Chris Brines
    Expand Collapse

But do you think if I ran 50 or so rounds of factory FMJ through it and wiped it right after it would come off? Would I needa apply any solvent while it's still hot? Like at the bench at the range?

12. m2hmghb

m2hmghb
    Expand Collapse

The problem with bluing is that it's a controlled oxidation, anything used to remove rust will remove bluing. I honestly don't know what to tell you, a brass mesh screen might work but it might mess up the bluing.

13. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

Most FMJ bullets have exposed lead bases,where as JSP or JHP do not have exposed lead bases but rather jacketed.

So no you will still have vaporized lead with FMJ's,you would need either JSP,JHP or totally metal encapsulated bullet to prevent any lead rings.

I think what I would try if it is that bothersome to you. Use a bronze bristled brush and if you can locate it Ed's red solvent or equally as well Kroil.
    After you return home from your shooting session wet the face of the cylinder or better yet soak the cylinder in either one for about a hour. Then scrub the cylinder face with the brush,if the lead rings aren't fully removed by this process they will be so light as not to be objectionable.

I wish you were local to me as one,I would show you how easily BP removes lead rings from the cylinder face and how to reload BP cartridges.

Kroil.
    http://www.kanolabs.com/
    Ed's Red
    http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...solvents/ed-s-red-bore-cleaner-prod19936.aspx
    Or mix up your own Ed's red.
    http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

I have used both over the years and they are the two best chemical lead removal agents I know of . For me locally it's easier to obtain Kroil but either works well. SJ 40

#13 SJ 40, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  14. km625

km625
    Expand Collapse

Remove the cylinder and soak the leaded area overnight in Hoppes or Shooters Choice. Takes overnight soaking to loosen thick lead build up--then it should just scrape right off.

[/COLOR]

15. cciman

cciman
    Expand Collapse

Mr. Clean magic eraser

Don't rub too hard or too long!

Turtle Wax or any other synthetic (non-carnuba) liquid spray on wax, or armorall silicone spay to keep it off. Do not use paste polish.

16. rdstrain49

rdstrain49
    Expand Collapse

With all due respect, Nonsense.