close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone install their nightsights?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by CELT, Aug 28, 2010.

1. CELT

CELT

Jul 1, 2007
    Is it worth trying/doing it at home or would you just recommend having a gunsmith doing it?

Thanks,

Celt

2. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Sep 28, 2006
    Detroit
    Very easy to do with a Glock sight tool. You can also do it with brass punches. You just be careful not to mar your slide.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    i've done over 100 of glock sights at home. if you do it s few times the cost of paying someone to do it will cover the expense of buying the tools to DIY.

4. CELT

CELT

Jul 1, 2007
    Did you use a sight pusher tool or hammer and punch?

5. NIGHT SIGHTS---F the hammer and punch method. Too much to go wrong in a single swing and you will damage the crystals in the night sights. Night sights are not meant to withstand the impact of a hammer and punch. I would take it to someone with the sight tool.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  6. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    I've done night sights with a hammer and a delrin punch, but they were Heinies with a set screw. I filed the sights for a light interference fit, drifted them in carefully with a little grease, tightened the set screw.

7. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

Jun 11, 2002
    New Mexico & Michigan
    A sight tool is a great investment. Worth it not having to rely on someone else. Brownells has them, fairly inexpensive.

8. Mike 257

Mike 257

Feb 5, 2006
    Missouri
    I had a gunsmith do it and he charged me nothing because I bought the sights at his shop. Wasn't worth me buying the tool to install one set . If I were installing a hundred sets like the above poster I would probably invest in the tool

9. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    MGW pusher and for the fronts i use a modified 3/16 nut driver.

10. l8apex

l8apex

Apr 26, 2010
    MGW Tool + tool front sight = happiness. Bought a sight pusher for a little less here on GT, should have bought the MGW first as I ended up buying it anyway.

11. Got a deal from Glockmeister on their sight tool and some TruGlo TFO sights. I've installed several sets of TFO sights and have adjusted some as well.

12. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Feb 8, 2009
    MICHIGAN
    I bought a MGW rear sight pusher. I paid about $80 at midway(on sale) I have changed numerous sets of sights. The pusher is a good investment is you own a Glock.

13. OP, if you don't have a sight tool let someone else do it. I would not recommend using a hammer and punch for night sights.

14. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Jun 5, 2009
    USA
    I bought the Glockmeister tool & sight combo. The sight tool is easy to use and it comes with an additional tool for the front sight.

15. beancounter81

beancounter81

Oct 10, 2009
    NC
    I've done all of mine + one for my brother.

16. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I bought my pusher and front sight tool from www.ameriglo.com

Enter "GSSF" in the discount area and get a 20% discount.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  17. DasBulk

DasBulk

Apr 11, 2009
    Same. I just need the slant wall one now. I bought the straight wall for my Heinie sights. Worked awesomely.

18. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    CT
    I've got the glockmeister sight tools- Piece of cake. If you're only doing one, take it into your regular gun shop and see if they'll do it for you if you ask nice and bring 'im a cup of coffee. I know mine will, because I did that once before I got the tool.

19. I installed mine with a rubber mallet and punch, but it was only because no one locally would do it for less than the cost of the sights (and none of them inspired much confidence anyhow), and I didn't know where to find a sight pusher yet. It worked out okay, but I'll definitly get the proper tool for the job next time - if you break the sight, you just paid for it anyhow.

20. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA