close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone hunt with a 30/30

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by EL COLONEL, Sep 1, 2011.

1. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL
    Expand Collapse

Opinions .??

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC
    Expand Collapse

I will this October for mule deer. It's a scoped Marlin 336. The area a friend, using a bolt action 30-06, and I will be going to is mountainous with little cover. I'll be using the Hornady Leverevolution flex tip round or my own version of it. Consistently hit 300 yrd steel targets with my handload.

3. K1500

K1500
    Expand Collapse

Why wouldn't the most popular deer round in America work? What and where are you hunting? For long open shots at large game, there are better choices perhaps, but the .30WCF gets it done most of the time.

4. grecco

grecco
    Expand Collapse

I have a 30-30,
    its my favorite for deer hunting in Pa.
    As long as you keep the shots 100 yrds or less, and good shot placement,
    it does its job effectively.
    sometimes you just dont need a super magnum.

5. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL
    Expand Collapse

Cool , anybody else ?

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

30-30 and 35 Remington. (The latter being my favorite of the two). I took a nice Oklahoma 9 point with a marlin 35 rem and an old beat up 4X weaver scope out of the canyons at about 200 yds. He dropped DRT. The 30-30 is a fine caliber as well, and every one who hunts or walks the woods ought to experience the fun of it. Fine deer gun !

Good hunting.

CanyonMan

7. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL
    Expand Collapse

Canyonman , Thanx

8. sugarcreek

sugarcreek
    Expand Collapse
    familyman

My goodness you don't need anything else out to 100 yards... That being said, I will be year 5 or 6 with my Grendel AR.

9. Free Radical

Free Radical
    Expand Collapse
    Miembro Antiguo
    CLM

Deer hunting has evolved over the years. An old school,open sights, model 94 in 30-30 is almost quaint these days. It has certainly been passed by better and more efficient rifles. But hunting with an open sights, lever action has an appeal of its own. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

10. jtull7

jtull7
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero
    CLM

My guess would be that a full 60-70% of the deer hunters in the US hunt with a 30-30 with fixed sights.

I like what Free Radical posted. I would never hunt a deer with a scope or a fancy caliber.

And, you can flame me if you want, but any hunter who cannot get close enough to a deer with a classic 30-30 with iron sights is, in my opinion, a wussy, a failed woodsman, and an unethical hunter.

11. davidg30

davidg30
    Expand Collapse

Been using the same Winchester 30-30 since 1967. The only fancy on it is peep sights that I installed many years ago. Have taken many white tail with it. I keep saying I will buy something newer, but can't find anything I like as much. I guess I could use my AK, but my Winchester would probably haunt me.

12. grecco

grecco
    Expand Collapse

Also another plus for the 30/30,
    Ammo is everywhere, from backwoods hardware stores to the *mart stores,
    150 or 170 grain, take your pick, both are very effective.

13. Harper

Harper
    Expand Collapse

That's what I use. I always hunt in hilly woods and typically don't even have a reasonable line of sight farther than 100 yards.

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

I won't flame ya Hoss. :supergrin: But let's see ya be davy crockett out here. And this is the easier spot. (see pic below). I shot that okie buck (i mentioned in my post above) here on the ranch back home (in Okla.) at around 200 yds with a 35remmy lever and a lousy 4X scope on it that belonged to a man i guided on that hunt. He forgot his glasses, and begged me to take the shot for him and use his tag on the buck.

I don't usually do that stuff but this dear fellow had 'Lupus disease' and bearly made it out to the canyon rim. Now the poor guy has no glasses and still can't see through the scope, and hunted 13 years and not once killed a deer. I felt so sorry for him, I shot the deer with his 35 rem, 'at his begging request', and we put his tag on it and checked it in. No harm no fowl.

I do not like scopes on lever guns. But you will have one heck of a time on this ranch getting your buck with out one. Most shots range 150 to 300yds +.

[​IMG]

This was the only gun he had, so I placed him on the best spot I had at a canyon bottle neck so he could be effective with that lever gun.

I will add, as far as ethics. I watched this weak frail guy crawl through stickers and over sharp rocks and hunch over and run along beside me to get from A to Z, and then roll, crawl, and hunker down time after time, the whole time weezing and out of breath, and half sick, and this after a mile walk or so from the truck, just to get him to this certain canyon rim. My hat is off to him, and that is hard work for a healthy guy, scope or no scope. He might have pulled it off if not for him being blind as a bat without his specs on.

There is nothing unethical about taking a deer beyond bow range. This does not make someone a lousy hunter or a jerk or a wuss.

I agree, most people I have guided over 25 years could not sneak up on a deaf mule. That is why they needed a guide for 'one reason'. But in the Oklahoma plains, and on our ranch here in W, Texas as well. You better have a gun and a scope (in most places, not all) and be prepaired to take your antelope or deer "in most spots" at 100 to 300 yds.

I bow hunt in the place where this pic (above) was taken, which 'does not by any means show all the ranch'. I have to get in the bottom of the canyon fingers with a recurve bow where the cottonwoods and plumb thickets are, and set up beside a cedar or brush and "wait." There are also more wooded areas on the ranch there (okla) and here. But this man I guided had such a pitiful story, and 13 years with an empty sack, I wanted him to get the biggest buck possible and thus that meant hunting on barren ground in a spot I knew was good for heavy beamed bucks. Thus the shots would have to be long, and his skill would have to be pretty good with his gun and scope set up, and he would have made it except for the poor eye sight due to the Lupas disease and no glasses. So I did it for him. He at least had fun and had meat, and at "no charge." He was just wore plumb out from a hard hunt. What an Ethical man and hunt !

Getting in close to game takes skill, and I love doing that. Recurve Bow or Gun. But there are times and places that ain't going to happen. If you want to test your skill, and wuss level. Come out here and have nothing more than a piece of barbed wire to hide behind and not get spotted and try and take your buck with anything with open sights. Buffalo grass shin high don't hide ya real well in the middle of nothing. That too, takes some skill, and a bit of luck. Been doin it most all my life with and without scopes.

I've read your post before. You seem like a rather stand up old boy. But to place a tag on "everyone" that does not or cannot for some reason meet your criteria in your statement above here, well to me that is being a butt, and unethical.

Not everyone hunts where you do. Bring your bow out here where there is nothing but grass between you and the antelope and you can see for miles and miles, and get up there and take a clean shot. Is this doable with a 30-30and iron sights ? Yep! But it ain't easy in this particular terrain, and especially for a person with a disibility.

I used to take hand gun shots at very looooong range 'on game'. I am more of a hog leg 44mag/45LC hunter and have been for around 50 years with nothing but open sights and never once a scope on the hand guns.

My eyes or not in condition to do that real well any longer. So I guess I am a wuss because I am not close enough to put a saddle on the buck, and have to sometimes resaort to the 7mag. I admit i do have to choose my spots more carefully these days to get at least a 50yd shot with the handgun. But sometimes 'out here," these spots are just not where the deer are at much, if at all. Therefore a 7mag and a scope on an India black buck or deer or elk (when hunting else where) are welcome companions.

I've been close enough to game to poke them with my barrel. That is the truth. Got tons of stories :supergrin: But you won't, and can't in our plains areas on the ranch. If ya want something there, ya better have a scope and still hope your not spotted hiding behind nothing..

Nothing unethical about a good clean kill, and honest hunt, and using what you have to make do, and knowing your doing your best in the terrain your in.

It's the guys that think they know it all, and shoot out of atv's and pick up trucks and throw beer cans on your land, and ain't got the balls to crawl on the ground, and get dirty and filled with stickers and thorns and look for rattlers along the way that are unethical.

The ones who do not give a rats behind what they do, or how they do it, or who's land they do it on, or where they hit their game, or if they never find their game, and just want to "kill not hunt," these bozo's are unethical. Anyone that loves to kill just to kill is a moron. The guy who does not care about the law or the bag limit, or the land, or the game. He is the unethicl man.

So come on out with your open sighted 30-30 and will drop you off in the middle of the plains, and pick you up that afternoon and see what ya got. Ha.

I been doing this since I was a kid 10 years old, and using levers, iron sights as well as scoped long guns at times, and big bore hog legs. Still love my 45-70, 35 remmy and 30-30's with iron sights. But a man is not unethical because he has a scope on his gun or 'has to take" a longer shot. There are extenuating circumstances at times with some folks, to take into consideration, before pinning that tag of "wuss" on "everyone" who does not hunt your way. ;)

Have a great day amigo !

CanyonMan

#14 CanyonMan, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  15. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Canyonman. Sorry to cut and paste your excellant post.

Here in SE AZ, our hills are the tops of mountains, solid rock and straight up and down. Almost impossible to climb. If one of the deers we wound ever start up these we would never be able to follow. Plus we don't have near as many of those green things you have. I only have 1 lever action with a scope and that's because with my eye sight I don't want to climb up for a wounded animal. I suppose I could take my 30.06 which I've done before but 150-200 yds with the Hornady flextip round is do-able with a 30-30, scope, and my near senior citizen eyes.

16. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL
    Expand Collapse

So I have a marlin 30/30 with a leupold vx 2 3 x9x40 sighted an inch high at 100 yards with Federal ( $12.00 a box ) 150 grain soft point ammo. My furthest shot at lease is 206 yds . Will that set up get me out to 206 yds if need be ? ....:whistling:

17. jtull7

jtull7
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero
    CLM

CanyonMan, thanks for not flaming me. That was a thoughtful post.

You say: "There are extenuating circumstances at times with some folks, to take into consideration, before pinning that tag of "wuss" on "everyone" who does not hunt your way." Obviously, I was not calling anyone with physical disabilities a wuss.

I cannot hunt any more. Here's how I shoot:

[​IMG]

That photo was taken on my best friend's ranch in the Texas Panhandle on the Canadian Breaks in Potter County.

I have never hunted other than in the Texas Panhandle, so I know your country quite well.

In what county is your ranch located?

18. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

Amigo, I am glad you did not think it was a flame, because it was not. Ironic you send that pic. Because that is why I posted as I did. I have seen, and been there and done that, with folks with afflictions and situations that just cannot "sneak up on something," and got to make do with a scope or whatever. I got a good friend in a wheelchair. He has somehow, learned to get on his atv, and get to where is goin out on his folks ranch. park, sit, and wait, then BANG ! ha. He does manage to get his game home, and my stetson is off to him, those I have personally helped, and to YOU as well amigo.

The ranch in N.W. Oklahoma, is in Harper county. The ranch here in Texas is in Coke co. 60 miles N. of San Angelo.

When I get time, I'll post some more pics. Gotta help the wife get ready for a big family reuion in about one hour, so got to go.

Keep up the good huntin, and never give up. I don't believe your the kind of guy that even considers giving up. ;)

Bless ya !
    Stay in touch
    !

CM

#18 CanyonMan, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  19. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC
    Expand Collapse

Wow !! I use travel to Hooker, OK to go prarie dog shooting when I lived in Ft. Worth. It was quite a drive but I would stay for 3 days so it was worth it. Hooker area is as flat a place as I've ever seen. Amazing a few miles east has such a different terrain.

20. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt
    Expand Collapse

Hunt what? I guess that's the first thing someone would need to know in answering your question.