close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone hunt deer with an SKS if so...

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by SkippyThe, Sep 3, 2002.

1. SkippyThe

SkippyThe

Aug 9, 2000
    I-D-A-H-O
    What load did you use? I don't want to use the Russian hollow point stuff I'd like use a factory or custom load if anyone has one. Thanks ST

2. PK90

PK90

Feb 25, 2002
    South Jersey

3. Ron3

Ron3

Sep 6, 2001
    Florida
    I may not be able to get out and hunt too much this season, so I can't justify buying a new rifle. I'd like to have a Savage .243 but it will just have to wait.

I'll be using a Mak-90 7.62X39 for hog hunting. I have the Russian HP's too. I've heard people say they tested them and they hardly expand at all. If this is true that would be okay, they would have a little extra diameter but retain weight. I fired one into a block of clay and it definatly opened up but I didn't recover it so I don't know how much. I did't find any pieces either so perhaps it did stay together. I have half a box of Winchester 123gr Soft points but I would need to get more and do some practicing with them before going out.

Wolf makes a 7.62X39 154gr JSP for about $2.50 a box of 20. I haven't heard anything bad about this ammo and it just might be the ticket.

Ron3

4. my best freind doug, took his first deer 3 yrs ago, a 6 point in michigan at about 120 yds with wolf target ammo in 7.62 x 39 we had just got done putting one of the cheaper than dirt, composite stocks and scope mounting kits on it with the cheap 4x scope. dropped that 6 point where he stood without a problem, got the heart and both lungs.

5. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

Oct 26, 2001
    Most of the 7.62x39 rounds from overseas, even those marketed as 'hunting' rounds, do not expand with any consistency. The cores and jackets of said rounds are often a mish-mash of steel, iron, alloys and pot metal (in addition to proper copper/brass/lead)....hence the inconsistencies.

In addition to the US made rounds mentioned above, PMC has produced a softpoint 7.62x39 round that has expanded consistently (albeit mildly) in my informal tests.

A quick check to their website also shows that Cor-Bon also produces 7.62x39 125gr JHP hunting/defense rounds.

6. tjpet

tjpet

May 14, 2001
    Utah-Idaho border
    Remington factory has worked well for me.

7. Kilgor

Kilgor American Millennium Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Corbon also produces a 150 grain hunting soft point that does 2,300 fps from a 20" SKS. That is one hot load and it has the weight.

www.corbon.com

8. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    NV
    Ulyanovsk brand 123gr 7.62x39 HP ammo expands/fragments wonderfuly! Wolf HP ammo does not. Here's a pic of an Ulyanovsk HP round recovered from some water jugs:
    [​IMG]
    You probably wouldn't get enough penetration to take down a big deer, but it works great on rabbits, coyote, etc! :)