close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone here own a canoe? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, Apr 25, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Wife and I have always enjoyed the occasional canoe trip, but always had to rent. Seems you can get them used on Craigslist for $300-500 for decent ones. While new fiberglass models fall in the range of $700-1500. I'm considering buying one for an upcoming trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota. Any canoeists here have any thoughts?

Maybe eventually I'd move up to a more "premium" model:

[​IMG]

2. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

I live on a lake, so it's well worth it for me. I have an Old Town Discovery Sport and an old fiberglass canoe.

You may want to look for a canoe that can handle oars. It does require some additional equipment, but it can be a good solo transport.

3. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I had a canoe for several years and had fun with it. I sold it because I couldn't always get people to paddle with me and going upstream by yourself is no fun.

I bought a kayak.

If you do buy a canoe, taking even a single lesson will make your life a lot easier!

4. gigab1te

gigab1te

The Boundary Waters is one of my favorite areas, although I haven't been back there in a decade. When I was younger, I spent alot of time up there. You definitely won't regret a trip there!

I've got an old Coleman fiberglass canoe, and love it. I live near a few small mountain lakes, and take it out all the time.

If you are going to buy a used canoe, keep in mind the different styles and sizes, which differ depending upon what you plan on doing with it. As a very general rule, if you are just going to laze around a lake without a motor, you are probably fine getting anything cheap on Craigslist that catches your fancy. Just make sure its in decent condition. Don't get one too small if you plan on taking a few people and gear on overnight trips. Don't go too big if you're mainly going to use it on a big, windy lake and the parking lot is a mile away from shore...

5. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

I love to be on the water in a man-powered boat. I kayak a lot, and it's a great way to enjoy nature. I plan to add a canoe to my fleet eventually. Owning a canoe, I suspect, is a lot like owning a kayak. Not terribly expensive. As long as you have a space to store it, it's pretty convenient to be able to throw it on/in the car/truck and hit the water. In most states there's no registration.

And, due to the ever present gung-ho purchaser that runs out and buys one with all the accessories and uses it just once, Craigslist is overrun with good deals, and with a little patience you'll usually find someone with a ready-to-go outfit for less than 1/2 what it would cost retail, if not better. Get one used and worse case scenario, you'll get back what you paid for it when you put it on CL.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  6. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

We have one. It's nice for a lazy paddle on the sound, but a kayak is a MUCH better tool for going places. My dad and I made the mistake of trying to go north to south on Ross lake. BRUTAL.

If you do get one I'd actually recommend the cheaper aluminum or glass ones. Your friends are going to want to paddle it and it's going to get totally beat to crap on the beach.

7. dango

dango

Yes , I own one and love it.I am surrounded by two large rivers,
    The Clarion and the Allegheny , also a rather large creek that runs into the Clarion. A friend and I went on a six day trip down the Clarion. We tied a big old truck inter tube , Wrapped it with a
    cheep net hammock . Anything important ,camera ,camp stove
    ETC. was lashed to the tube and tied about 6ft behind the canoe.This is a slow meandering river , so we pretty much just drifted.I got to get the wife and dog and do this again , great time .

8. Jeremy_K

Jeremy_K

I bought a canoe for the wife and I. We took it out twice together and did nothing but argue about which direction we were going. The wife lost all interest in it and I ended up selling it and buying a fishing kayak. The fishing kayak I can carry myself for quite a ways and it's easy to load on the car/truck myself. It's the best tool to get the hell away from everything for a while.

9. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

I've had several. A Sears lined (with styrofoam) 12 foot that I took everywhere from small lakes to the Kentucky River.

A Coleman 16 1/2 foot canoe that weighed a lot.

An Old Town 16 foot canoe that also weighed a lot.

To the OP: You're going to buy a canoe for a single trip? I'd just rent unless you're sure you'll use it over and over.

But before you buy, carry it around. Lift it up. Figure out how you're going to transport it, etc.

Those suckers can be heavy.

10. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

[​IMG]
    If I had a beautiful wood canoe like that I might hang it from my living room ceiling but I sure wouldn't take it on the river to get banged up. Imagine having to repair a busted hull.

I love canoeing and kayaking, especially rivers. We've run most of the navigable rivers in Colorado and some in Wyoming and Alaska. We have a couple Klepper Aerius II 2 person touring Kayaks. They are packable with folding wood frame pieces and a skin of canvas on the deck and a hypalon hull. It has inflatable sponsons which makes it very stable and virtually unsinkable. I'm comfortable with it in class 3 waters.

We've also got an old 17' Mohawk aluminum beater canoe. It's great for hauling loads for week long floats and party barging with friends. It holds up to dragging over the rocks in shallow water.

My favorite local river runs are along the Gunnison and Colorado Rivers, the upper North Platte in Wyoming, and much of the South Platte River to Nebraska.

11. ron8903

ron8903

Wife and I bought one four years ago, best deal ever.
    A friend of mine got it for a NC trip and sold it to me for 100.00
    after he got back.

Nice glass 12 footer, and it gets me back where the big boat cant go
    we have caught a lot of fish in that boat.
    It's wide and carries a lot of gear.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  12. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

I bought this little canoe 3 years ago from Dicks for 399.00 and i love it.It ways 52 lbs and i can carry it myself.I made it even easier when i snagged an old ladder rack from a friend and i now put it on the ladder rack and go where ever i want.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  13. Unk

Unk

17' Grumman, bought used in 1976 for $200..seen a lot of use in the past 36 years - ALL GOOD.

Tip: If you sit in the rear you don't have to paddle as much..or so I've been told.

A TN neighbor borrowed to travel the length of the Mississippi with his dog..several years and in segments.

In our 70's we now paddle or float FL rivers and lakes...and I sit in the rear..,.great way to enjoy God's creation.

14. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Interesting. I'da thought most of the rivers in the Rocky Mountain states are barely navigable by canoe, since I'd figure most of them to be very fast-moving and rapid-y.

15. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

I have an old town guide 160. They are usually $750 new. We got ours new old stock for around $470.

It has lasted many years and shows no sign of slowing down.

I have installed a trolling motor, running lights, and a third seat on it. I can seat 4 comfortably.

It is my Samolian Pirate ship. I routinely load it down with over 600lbs of gear to tote out to our houseboat.

Get one, they are pretty fun and relaxing. I would not get a wooden one as they are heavy. My poly old town wieghs about 82 pounds dry.

For some reason we don't have any pics of the whole boat just us inside it at close range. So a snapped a pic out in the yard. This is how we store it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012