close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone have their gun collection insured? Who can appraise guns?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by WarEagle32, Aug 23, 2012.

1. WarEagle32

WarEagle32
    Expand Collapse

I am looking at getting my gun collection insured. I am renting a home right now and renters insurance only covers about 1000 bucks worth of guns if they were stolen. I have about 12-15K total in my gun collection. So I have talked to 2 different insurance carriers who each told me that I would need them appraised to do a policy. Any serious info besides "get a good safe" will be greatly appreciated because they are my favorite possessions as most of you can relate. I have a good safe but you never know what all could happen. Thanks alot guys!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 WarEagle32, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. Keyhole

Keyhole
    Expand Collapse

I just insured all of mine with my local State Farm agent. I had to provide pictures, serial numbers, dates of purchase, and replacement value (no appraisal). This even included two NFA items. Very easy.

3. WarEagle32

WarEagle32
    Expand Collapse

I have all that but dates of purchase.

4. Rancher

Rancher
    Expand Collapse

Im with American Family. All they needed was any official looking piece of paper from any gun shop with a value listed of each item. I went to a local pawn shop that I do transfers with and he said he bet I had a better idea of the value than him and so I just listed the firearms on his stationary along with the value of each and he signed it. Then provided my agent with a photo's of each gun and the appraisal. Pretty simple.

Ammo was considered personel property and is insured as such. These days got a LOT of ammo around!

Rancher

5. Keyhole

Keyhole
    Expand Collapse

My dates of purchase were month/year estimates, except for the NFAs.

6. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking
    Expand Collapse

Nationwide insures mine under the home insurance. I think they cover up to $5,000 without appraisals.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. roger123

roger123
    Expand Collapse

I just called about this yesterday, with USAA they are covered as personal propery up to your limit.

I asked about a rider and he gave me prices for a limit I asked for, he didn't mention needing an appraisal.

#7 roger123, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  8. roguedaddy

roguedaddy
    Expand Collapse

We have USAA, love them! Only problem I see is that any guns someone bought/traded for face to face are now on a list so everyone/anyone knows you have them.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

You don't have to list every gun, such as the FTF guns that were lost during the canoe trip.
    :drowning:

10. michael e

michael e
    Expand Collapse

No info was give from me, told them what I needed in coverage and told them I would provide serial numbers and photos receipts if something happened. Was good enought for them.

11. mobilecommand

mobilecommand
    Expand Collapse

I got a rider for all my guns since my amount well exceeded what i could get on renters insurance. i had to provide a description and serial number and as long as each gun was not over 3500 each that was it .. Each gun over 3500 i would have to get it appraised.

Its for replacement value and i listed everything from custom work, sights etc.

i think it only costs me 10 ish a month and for the piece of mind with worth it.

oh yea i use state farm.

12. chemcmndr

chemcmndr
    Expand Collapse

I get a "temporary" policy for my firearms when I travel with them via airlines. My State Farm agent only requires the make, model, serial number, and value I want them insured for. I never had to get them appraised.