close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone have snakes??

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by lucky8926, Oct 24, 2004.

1. lucky8926

lucky8926

Sep 27, 2004
    Central IL
    I've been thinking about getting a snake, but don't have any knowledge about breeds, care, etc. Here are my questions. I have a 10 gal aquarium, will this be big enough? What breed do you suggest? What will I need to get? What do you recommend feeding it? Are they easy to take care of? If there is anything else you can think of let me know, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

Apr 24, 2004
    ohio
    here are a couple of sites with a wealth of information...

http://www.kingsnake.com/
    http://www.ssnakess.com

we had 2 california kings snakes. they were pretty easy to take care of, they weren't poisonous (so they could be handled without worry), and didn't get very big. i'd love to get an emerald tree boa or a green tree python. neither one can be handled but i just think they are beautiful to look at. maybe someday when we have some extra cash... :) ;)

a 10 gallon tank would be fine for any of the smaller snakes, like the king snakes. do you know if there are any reptile clubs in your area? here in ohio we have NOAH http://www.noahonline.net/mtlog/archives/index.shtml. they have a reptile show every couple of months which we have attended several times. it's a great way to see what's out there and talk to people who own and breed snakes. maybe you can see if there's anything like that available near you.

good luck.
    :)

3. lucky8926

lucky8926

Sep 27, 2004
    Central IL
    Thanks for the info!! I will have to check and see if there are any reptile clubs in my area.

4. Ive raised snakes for a while everything from corn snakes to 16 ft pythons.I think if you have the time for it the best one might be a red tailed boa.It eats good unlike some ball pythons, and dont grow at such a fast rate as the burmese.If these constrictors are still to big, you can start with corn or king snakes.Although kings are canibles so you can only (usually)have one.I could go on and on because I loved rasing them and talking about them but I go overboard some times.PM me and I can send you alot of info you would need and some breeders that sell.

5. tpiini

tpiini

Jan 9, 2004
    I used to have Boas. If I remember correctly, the rule of thumb for terrarium size was 1 cubic foot of space per foot of snake.

6. shawnster

shawnster

Feb 25, 2004
    Panhandle, FL
    I have a Ball Python. Pretty easy to take care of and I got lucky and got a great eater. BP's are known to be picky eaters but mine has never turned down a meal. From what I hear Kingsnakes are great to start off with. I started with my BP and to start off with I was nervous cause there's alot to think about, like temps, humidity and hides among other things. But I done alot of research and have had no problems. Of course I always enjoy the look on peoples faces that are talking about there pets then I tell them that I got a snake...lol. For a great BP forum check out the following link.

Shawn

Click here for BP link

7. lucky8926

lucky8926

Sep 27, 2004
    Central IL
    I've narrowed it down to a ball, corn or king. i luv g.r.i.t.s has been helping me out quite a bit too!!

8. Remember they look cute when they are small but some end up like this........... [​IMG]

9. lucky8926

lucky8926

Sep 27, 2004
    Central IL
    That would be a great starter snake for me!!;f

10. W Turner

W Turner

Mar 1, 2000
    Hillsboro, AL
    I have kept ball pythons, kingsnakes, corn snakes, a red tail boa and a blood python in addition to various lizards.

For a starter snake a young captive-bred ball python is hard to beat. Captive-bred specimens are usually not picky when it comes to food (mine would eat pre-killed mice/rats) and are far healthier overall. Balls also stay a good size (5ft. is large) and grow at a rate that will allow you to save for a larger cage (I used a 30 gallon) later.

If you just want one that will live in a 10-gallon for it's entire life, a Rosy Boa is a good possibility as well. They genrally don't get over 3 feet and are easy to keep, just don't keep water in there all of the time. About one out of every three days is best. Otherwise they tend to regurgitate their food.

If you have any other questions, pm or emil me!

Bull

11. engineer151515

engineer151515

Nov 3, 2003
    Have 4 corns.

All in one (large) tank.

I enjoy them as pets.

Here's a picture of 3 of them.

The fourth is a Miami coral snake. It "found" my wife and crawled onto her foot! Instead of just stomping it to death (which most people would do) she CAUGHT it and brought it home.

What a WOMAN!

12. lucky8926

lucky8926

Sep 27, 2004
    Central IL
    I found one I would really like to have but they're really expensive, so I'll pass. A Green tree python. There was a picture of a red green tree python that was amazing!! But a little out of my price range.

13. Jaegergirl

Apr 24, 2004
    ohio
    you and me both! we found some babies down in columbus for around $350 but with christmas coming around, we couldn't justify the expense. or maybe the babies were emerald tree boas. anyway, they both are are beautiful and i would love to have one some day. :)

14. We just got our first snake (my first, my wife has had many) – a Knoblochi Mountain King Snake. We have her in a 29 gallon aquarium with furniture (a fake tree) to climb on, and an under-tank reptile heating pad located on one end of the aquarium so that she can ‘thermoregulate’. We also have small ‘hides’ in each of the temperature extremes, too, I can’t speak for all commonly-kept snakes, but ours is the sweetest creature (a shock to me!). She loves to hang out on us when we take her out, and she even teases our eight cats thru the glass. Maintenance is not too demanding – she gets fed mice once a week – but we do usually end up changing her water and tidying up her cage every night. ;a

15. lucky8926

lucky8926

Sep 27, 2004
    Central IL
    I can't wait to get mine!! I'm starting to lean toward getting a ball python now. The only thing now that is stopping me from making a final decision is that they are "picky eaters"

16. tpiini

tpiini

Jan 9, 2004
    When we had snakes many years ago we had red tailed boas. They were good snakes, but did grow to be very large. I had to build a very large terrarium for them. The great thing about the Ball Pythions are that they do NOT get to be too big. About 5' is the max. We had a friend with some Ball Pythons and I thought that they were the perfect "House snake." If I were to do it again, I'd probably go that route.

17. Jaegergirl

Apr 24, 2004
    ohio
    my brother had 2 of them for a while (actually, he was snake sitting for a friend for a couple months). he went to feed one of them a live mouse and the mouse bit the snake so the snake refused to eat it. it got to the point where my brother would have to "flick" the mouse on the head to "stun" it so the crazy snake would eat. don't know if that's common or not but it sure was kind of comical. :)

18. lucky8926

lucky8926

Sep 27, 2004
    Central IL
    LOL thats pretty funny!! He had to give the mouse a concussion so it wouldn't hurt the snake!!^b

19. mzenzer

mzenzer Argus-eyed

Feb 14, 2002
    Louisiana
    As others have said, Ball Pythons can be picky eaters, but that is usually just with the imports, i.e., wildcaught. Captive bred are normally no problem. My captive bred Ball eats with a gusto, as ravenous as any corn/kingsnake. Get a young CB Ball and start them out on frozen/dead mice, and you'll have no feeding problems from there on out.

Just remember they come from dry, hot environments. Keep your tank that way and it'll be fine.

With that said corns are great, and there is an amazing variety of phases available.

Besides, which snake you pick first is irrelevant, once you get the fever you WILL be getting more. Prepare yourself for a house full of snakes!

20. lucky8926

lucky8926

Sep 27, 2004
    Central IL
    What is a good age snake to buy or does it really matter?