close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone have experience with Duracoat?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by msu_grad_121, Aug 20, 2011.

1. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Okay, here's the situation. I got my hands on a CRKT M16-13SF a few years ago which is qite sharp, but pretty abused, too. I'd like to refinish it with a Duracoat Shake N Spray kit, but I find the aluminum scales too slick as is.

What I'd like to do is sprinkle something fine like a 220 aluminum oxide sandblasting media over one of the layers, and then layer more Duracoat on top. I'm just looking for something that will give me some more purchase, not tear up my pants.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

2. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Not exactly the same thing, but I had a Chrome-Moly AR-15 barrel duracoated by the guy who put the upper together. A short time after I started shooting it I noticed a few pieces flaking off.

He took it back and sent me a new duracoated barrel, and I haven't had any problems in 1000 rounds through it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Utah
    I doubt you will get the results you want. Can you remove the scales from the knife? If so, consider replacing them with something like G-10. That will give you a good grip and there are many colors available.

4. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    I can remove them, but the cost of G10 handles custom cut as replacements would be...cost pohibitive.

5. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Utah
  6. Longrangemojo

Longrangemojo

Sep 1, 2011
    They make that Celt with g 10 just get another and put a couple strips of skate board tape on the smooth one works great

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine