Anyone have any problems using Hoppes elite to clean polymer frames?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by tenaciousj, Apr 19, 2010.

1. recently bought a glock and a USP and have already cleaned the glock a couple of times with #9 before i heard that some folks dont think thats a good idea.

currently looking for something a little more polymer friendly and am wondering how Elite works

also thinking about going with breakfree clp but would probably use a dedicated lube to go with it like hoppes elite oil, slip 2000 ewl, TW25B, or breakfree LP

2. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

GLOCK sez, if it is made for a firearm, use it.

3. Either of those work great, Hoppes Elite is relabeled MilPro 7. It's water based and great at cleaning carbon, I've never seen any issues with it on Glocks or SW M&Ps.

4. WayaX

Lifetime Member

Breakfree and Hoppes elite oil are what I use for my pistols. I've never had any problems related to lubrication. I also keep Hoppes #9 on hand for when the slides and barrels need extensive cleaning. While #9 should be polymer safe, I don't like to take chances. Besides, if your frames are getting so dirty that they need a strong solvent then something is going wrong.

5. I have used MPro-7 and now Hoppes Elite (basically the same cleaner with a different label) on all of my guns for a few years now, no problems yet. And it doesn't stink up the house, which scores major points with the wife.