Anyone hard chrome their 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by glockin-45, Feb 9, 2013.

1. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Yes. Chris is the best in the biz. :thumbsup:

True dat! :rofl:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

dAYUMn.......best lookin Sistema I've ever seen!

3. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

My custom Colt Commander is my only Tripp hardchromed gun and it was a great job. LOVE this gun. It's on par with many of my semi-customs, as it should be, since the only thing Colt about it is the slide and frame and those have been re-fit. All Wilson and Ed Brown parts with a Bar-Sto match barrel and Novak night sights. :cool:

[​IMG]

#23 glock2740, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

[​IMG]

:tongueout:

5. Thank you. Wish I could take the credit, but I am the second owner. Owner was a TX LEO who purportedly had it built by Eddie Jimenea. He had great taste and I am just the lucky one to benefit from it. It was his go-to gun for requalification and is very accurate and smooth.

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I recently bought this Tundra and had it hardchromed too. :rofl:

[​IMG]

7. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

:thumbsup:

8. I had two guns hard chromed 30+ years ago by Armoloy in Texas. One, a Gold Cup, is still owned by a family member and still looks about like it did over three decades ago. HC is the hardest, toughest finish I have ever experinced on a firearm. Cleaning is easy, fouling just does not stick to the HC. I will attempt to attach a recent photo of the old gun. I don't care for the rubber grips at all, but it's not mine anymore ;-D

#29 rock185, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  9. [​IMG]

This Commander was plated with NP3+ by ROBAR. Can someone tell me what the difference between hard Chrome and NP3+ is? I know that ROBAR says that the NP3+ is a nickel and teflon mixture that is self-lubricating

I had this one done last May, and it seems to be holding up well. The points where the gun rubs in the holster have become shiny (polished?), but don't seem to be wearing thin or anything. I like it so far!

#30 G26AZ, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  10. I hard chromed a Commander... Its held up pretty well for 5-6 years of daily carry...

[​IMG]

CW

11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

My Pistol Dynamics is at Paul's about to look very similar to that one. I decided against the magwell, but the HP cuts are a go. :cool: Shouldn't be long...:whistling:

12. bac, Are any of those pistols stainless? or blue steel, hard chromed?

13. Awesome Joe

I can't wait to see the pics!

14. None are stainless or blued.

They're carbon steel hard chromed.

15. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Me neither. :cool:

16. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

Love my Sig 226 hard chromed by Tripp Research in 2007

[​IMG]

17. Is hard chrome the best finish to apply to an EDC gun? Not understanding metallurgy (SP?), what are the advantages of hard chrome vs nickle, parkerizing, NP3 - or any of the other finishes you hear about? Or, is hard chrome chosen mainly for its looks? If you are looking for rust resisitance, would it just be better to go with stainless steel in the first place?

18. I'd say it's one of the best.