close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone go thumbs forward on a wheelgun?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    Saw a team S&W shooter doing it, but know most wheelgun guys dothumb over thumb. Wondering how much luck people get with thumbs forward on a revo id like to try doing it so im consistent between my guns. Ive gone to thumbs forward since getting my cz and now that my revolvers almost repaired ill be shootin that again soon.

2. klampton317

klampton317

Mar 18, 2009
    I dont know. I feel like I tried that once and got my thumb rocked by gasses escaping from the cylinder. I decided not to do that again.

3. brob2425

brob2425

Mar 11, 2011
    Virginia
    I do thumbs forward with my 638, it just feels more natural as that's how I shoot with my other guns. It feels awkward trying to change my grip for a particular gun. I prefer consistency.

4. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    I've never been a real fan of doing much of anything textbook style unless it's a mechanical or mathematical issue... I think you'll do best doing whatever feels right to your hand and stance...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  5. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    I know theres the pic of the guys thumb blown off but he was grabbing frame not grip. And the thumbs would be well bwlow forcing cone anyway, and i shoot 38s 90 percent of the time. Ill try it out when i get my 669 back.

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
  7. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    It kind of depends on your thumbs. I have long thumbs and if I go forward my strong thumb gets bashed by the blasts shield while my weak thumb gets burned. Needless to say, this is not my preferred method.

8. I typically do thumbs down. I dont like the crossover grip because if you do it on an auto the slide runs over your thumb. I don't want to get into the habit of 2 different grips so I use the same on both auto and revolver

9. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    I like my thumbs, therefore I tuck them down for revolvers.

10. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

Depending on hand size, frame size, and grips, most people will just do whatever feels right and comfortable for them......and, that means it all "depends". The main thing it to keep your body parts out of the way of the cylinder leading edge.

ooc

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL

I agree - opposable thumbs rock!

12. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I've never shot thumb over, that's a bad habit that'll come back to bite you when you switch over to a semi-auto. Always shot Modified Weaver, thumbs forward.

13. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Nope.

Curled master (right) hand thumb. It's a controllability & grip technique issue.

Left thumb? Well, since I spent my years as a young man shooting SA revolvers, my L/thumb was always prepped and available for thumb-cocking fast subsequent shots. It stays up/off and out of the way (but not forward, as hot gasses from the B/C gap demand the right-of-way in wheelguns).

As the days of wheelgunners still remaining in LE are coming to a close (simply because of aging, retirements, etc), it's not uncommon to see a newer revolver owner/shooter bring their new gun through a range qual, and try to use a thumbs-forward grip. It only takes a few times for them to have the rear of the cylinder edge split their thumb nail open, or the latch maul their thumb knuckle, and they start to suspect something is amiss. :shocked:

Since my young years were pretty evenly divided between the 1911 and the SA revolver, I didn't have any trouble learning and practicing the best grip to use with each. My later adoption of those new-fangled, trigger-cocking wheelguns ... and then the weird contraptions known as "traditions double action" pistols (DA/SA to many folks) ... didn't give me much trouble when it came to adapting my revolver/pistol grip techniques to them. I've long thought that someone who learns their handgunning foundation skills on revolvers, and especially using Magnum revolvers, can more easily make the transition to pistols than the other way around.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  14. I saw a guy at the range shoot with his right hand on the grip, and his left hand wrapped around his right wrist. I thought this looked odd, but he was shooting amazingly in double-action. What's the name of this grip position?

15. Dot_mdb

Dot_mdb

Mar 10, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I shoot thumbs forward without a problem. Of course now that I am aware of the potential problems I will probably wind up with thumbnails torn off, bloody knuckles and burned fingertips.

Bill

16. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    I got to go and shoot my wheel guns, it's been a long time. :crying:

17. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    crazy ? :rofl:

18. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    :rofl:

Hey, everyone's hands can fit the wheelies differently. What was a really bad idea for one shooter sometimes didn't have any ill effect for another shooter, etc.

The one thing that is always a bad idea is to reach out and intrude upon the zone where the hot gases (fragments, burnt powder, etc) escape the B/C gap. In the newer really heavy & powerful calibers, like the .500 S&W Magnum or the .460 S&W, this can quickly result in loss of body parts.

When a S&W rep brought some .500's around for us to try out one day (with free ammo), he was adamant in making sure our folks knew to keep their fingers & thumbs away from the B/C gaps, explaining how he knew of someone who had lost part of their hand from the hot gasses, not having paid attention to the safety warnings when shooting one of their big, new X-frame revolvers.

19. I shoot weak thumb on top of, and locking down, the strong thumb. Basically what you guys are calling thumbs down :)

I shoot that way on all handguns, revolver, semi-auto, and single-shot.

I'd like to hear some stories of slide abrasion from the thumbs forward guys :)