close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone go thumbs forward on a wheelgun?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass
    Expand Collapse
    Tactically Epic

Saw a team S&W shooter doing it, but know most wheelgun guys dothumb over thumb. Wondering how much luck people get with thumbs forward on a revo id like to try doing it so im consistent between my guns. Ive gone to thumbs forward since getting my cz and now that my revolvers almost repaired ill be shootin that again soon.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. klampton317

klampton317
    Expand Collapse

I dont know. I feel like I tried that once and got my thumb rocked by gasses escaping from the cylinder. I decided not to do that again.

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Yep. Potentially bad news.

4. brob2425

brob2425
    Expand Collapse

I do thumbs forward with my 638, it just feels more natural as that's how I shoot with my other guns. It feels awkward trying to change my grip for a particular gun. I prefer consistency.

5. K.Kiser

K.Kiser
    Expand Collapse

I've never been a real fan of doing much of anything textbook style unless it's a mechanical or mathematical issue... I think you'll do best doing whatever feels right to your hand and stance...

#5 K.Kiser, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  6. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass
    Expand Collapse
    Tactically Epic

I know theres the pic of the guys thumb blown off but he was grabbing frame not grip. And the thumbs would be well bwlow forcing cone anyway, and i shoot 38s 90 percent of the time. Ill try it out when i get my 669 back.

7. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

I shoot them thumbs forward.

8. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

It kind of depends on your thumbs. I have long thumbs and if I go forward my strong thumb gets bashed by the blasts shield while my weak thumb gets burned. Needless to say, this is not my preferred method.

9. m2hmghb

m2hmghb
    Expand Collapse

I typically do thumbs down. I dont like the crossover grip because if you do it on an auto the slide runs over your thumb. I don't want to get into the habit of 2 different grips so I use the same on both auto and revolver

10. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I like my thumbs, therefore I tuck them down for revolvers.

11. hogship

hogship
    Expand Collapse
    It's MY Island

Depending on hand size, frame size, and grips, most people will just do whatever feels right and comfortable for them......and, that means it all "depends". The main thing it to keep your body parts out of the way of the cylinder leading edge.

ooc

#11 hogship, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  12. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

I agree - opposable thumbs rock!

13. TN.Frank

TN.Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Glock4Life

I've never shot thumb over, that's a bad habit that'll come back to bite you when you switch over to a semi-auto. Always shot Modified Weaver, thumbs forward.

14. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

Nope.

Curled master (right) hand thumb. It's a controllability & grip technique issue.

Left thumb? Well, since I spent my years as a young man shooting SA revolvers, my L/thumb was always prepped and available for thumb-cocking fast subsequent shots. It stays up/off and out of the way (but not forward, as hot gasses from the B/C gap demand the right-of-way in wheelguns).

As the days of wheelgunners still remaining in LE are coming to a close (simply because of aging, retirements, etc), it's not uncommon to see a newer revolver owner/shooter bring their new gun through a range qual, and try to use a thumbs-forward grip. It only takes a few times for them to have the rear of the cylinder edge split their thumb nail open, or the latch maul their thumb knuckle, and they start to suspect something is amiss. :shocked:

Since my young years were pretty evenly divided between the 1911 and the SA revolver, I didn't have any trouble learning and practicing the best grip to use with each. My later adoption of those new-fangled, trigger-cocking wheelguns ... and then the weird contraptions known as "traditions double action" pistols (DA/SA to many folks) ... didn't give me much trouble when it came to adapting my revolver/pistol grip techniques to them. I've long thought that someone who learns their handgunning foundation skills on revolvers, and especially using Magnum revolvers, can more easily make the transition to pistols than the other way around.

#14 fastbolt, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  15. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo
    Expand Collapse

I saw a guy at the range shoot with his right hand on the grip, and his left hand wrapped around his right wrist. I thought this looked odd, but he was shooting amazingly in double-action. What's the name of this grip position?

16. Dot_mdb

Dot_mdb
    Expand Collapse

I shoot thumbs forward without a problem. Of course now that I am aware of the potential problems I will probably wind up with thumbnails torn off, bloody knuckles and burned fingertips.

Bill

17. ca survivor

ca survivor
    Expand Collapse

I got to go and shoot my wheel guns, it's been a long time. :crying:

18. ca survivor

ca survivor
    Expand Collapse

crazy ? :rofl:

19. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

:rofl:

Hey, everyone's hands can fit the wheelies differently. What was a really bad idea for one shooter sometimes didn't have any ill effect for another shooter, etc.

The one thing that is always a bad idea is to reach out and intrude upon the zone where the hot gases (fragments, burnt powder, etc) escape the B/C gap. In the newer really heavy & powerful calibers, like the .500 S&W Magnum or the .460 S&W, this can quickly result in loss of body parts.

When a S&W rep brought some .500's around for us to try out one day (with free ammo), he was adamant in making sure our folks knew to keep their fingers & thumbs away from the B/C gaps, explaining how he knew of someone who had lost part of their hand from the hot gasses, not having paid attention to the safety warnings when shooting one of their big, new X-frame revolvers.

20. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

I shoot weak thumb on top of, and locking down, the strong thumb. Basically what you guys are calling thumbs down :)

I shoot that way on all handguns, revolver, semi-auto, and single-shot.

I'd like to hear some stories of slide abrasion from the thumbs forward guys :)