Anyone familiar with PVC Gold Starfire HP?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ajgranda, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Hi,

I'm looking at buying some PVC .45acp Gold Starfire .230 gr HP. Anyone familiar with this round and is it reliable in a 1911 platform? I found box of 20 for $16.79
    Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Anyone familiar with this bill? Cop Talk Apr 1, 2013
    California penal code 25600? Anyone familiar? GATE Self-Defense Forum Mar 15, 2013
    Anyone familiar with R GUNS AR's Black Rifle Forum Jan 23, 2013
    Is anyone familiar withe the LifeAir-5? Survival/Preparedness Forum Dec 3, 2012
    Bill Springfield- Triggerworks. Anyone familiar? General Firearms Forum Sep 15, 2012

3. JohnnyReb

Lifetime Member

The PMC Starfire is a good bullet. I have no expirence with it in a 1911. That's a little high, about $2 or so.

4. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

They are old technology bullets. I carried Starfires back in the day. They are still a good bullet but at that price you could get some HST or Gold Dots. They didn't run well in my SA GI 1911, but most JHP don't. They run like a top in my P220.

5. Thanks guys. Can't find .45acp 230 gr HST or GD anywhere for any price right now?

6. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

EXPENSIVE ammo!

7. I ended up buying just 1 box to give it a try. The company seems to think their ammo is great though. Then again, don't they all say that. LOL

http://www.pmcammo.com/starfire.html

8. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I'll stick with my WW and Fed +p+ 115gr JHP 9mm ammo. 1400 fps out of my G17.

9. "The Starfire bullet was designed for PMC Ammunition by Tom Burczynski who is also the designer of other self-defense hollowpoint bullets such as the Federal Hydra-Shock and HS2, the Quik-Shock, and the Expanding Full Metal Jacket bullet."

In my experience the only drawback to the Starfire ammo was its speed... It clearly showed signs of working correctly but needed more velocity to achieve full expansion. My conclusion was based on the oringinal Starfire from years ago ( geez... maybe even more than a decade... ) .I wish PMC would sell the bullets as components.

10. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

TB is a good bullet designer.