close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone ever put non OEM hard drive in Lenovo?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by geofri, Sep 26, 2011.

1. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Below sea level.
    Purchased a new Western Digital Scorpio Black harddrive for my T61 thinkpad(type 6465) and now I've found that its not on an approved list of accepted HDs.

Apparently I need to dive in somewhere, change this code, hack that one, do some ghosting/mirror thing, make backup CDs, or clone something. :dunno:

Anyone know a good source for a set-by-step to do this, or have personal experience?

( I did just try putting it in, and booting with recovery set CDs but wasn't successful)

2. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    I don't understand this.
    I replaced a wifi card in a Lenovo T410 that was not approved and I had to update the firmware but I also replaced the drive with no issues.

My company has bought many T61s and I have replaced the drive without any kind of updating. But then I was installing Linux now from the backup disks.

Could this be an issue with your backup CD's?

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/Replace-hard-disk-in-T61/m-p/55861

Disk replacement step by step.
    http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-...rd-drive-to-upgrade-my-T61/td-p/177659/page/2

3. What specifically are you referring to; is it a "hardware compatibility list"? Or what?

What Lenovo is saying is nonsense - that'd be like saying you couldn't put a part from a Colt 1911 into a Springfield 1911. Sure there are some minor differences & incompatibilities (like with the BS safeties) but for the most part, all PC parts are interchangeable.

4. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

Apr 24, 2007
    North Carolina
    I did not read your links but it's worth going into the BIOS and changing the HDD setting from AHCI to COMPATIBILITY and reload the OS.