close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone ever have the timing belt changed on a Toyota Camry or Lexus ES330?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ysr_racer, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I have a 2004 Lexus ES330 with 100,000 miles on it. I guess it's time for a timing belt and water pump. Anyone have this done?

What did it run you?

2. sputnik767

sputnik767

You sure it has a belt and not a chain? I'd be surprised if a 2004 model still had a belt. Otherwise, it's not cheap, but you're right, may as well do the water pump while you have the thing apart.

3. racer11

racer11

I don't have the same vehicle as you I have a Honda Civic and I replace mine around every 80-90 thousand. You are over due for a change,,,you might note that some vehicles have what is called a interference fit. If your belt breaks major top end damage can occur and you'll spend some money.

Around here a dealer will charge 500 for a change and include the water pump. You can get a independent shop do do it for a lesser cost. I learned to do my own and it takes me about 3-4 hours and costs me about 100 bucks, that is for the timing belt and other belts and water pump. When I buy a water pump I always get the lifetime warranty one, when the next replacement time comes around I just take the old pump off and tell them it is leaking and I get a new one for free.

4. vwluv10338

vwluv10338

Depends where you get it done. Just the tbelt with aftermarket parts at an aftermarket shop will most likely be around $500-600 I would guess. I dont work there so I dont know. If you get the 90k service done at a dealer it will be the tbelt, engine filter, cabin filter, engine oil and filter, PCV valve, coolant, trans fluid... blah blah. I think it will run around $1200 or so.

You want to get the PCV valve changed as these engines were prone to sludge and once the valve clogs it just gets worse. Also, think about getting the waterpump done at the same time. It is driven by the tbelt so there is a lot of overlaping labor there. The waterpump may be leaking now but they wont know till they get in there but if it starts leaking later you are in for all the labor over again to take the tbelt off. Add ~$400 additional for the waterpump parts and labor.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me

Eric
    Lexus Master Technician

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  5. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I just had it done on a 1998 Camry with a 4...

It is a belt and at 106,000 was shedding rubber and wouldn't have gone much longer.

The water pump is usually done too cuz the same labor is necessary to get in there and it's cheap insurance against doing the labor twice.

The water pump housing needed to be replaced too, bumping up the parts cost.

Cost $1100

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

It is a belt not a chain! You can expect to pay around 800 for the new timing belt and water pump, seals and the labor. That was for a lexus being done at a Toyota dealership.

7. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

ysr,

I had my '93 Lexus es300 done a couple of years ago.
    It had 105,000 miles on it, then.

Long story short, it needed headgaskets done, so, I had 'everything' replaced that should/could go 'bad' within a short time.

Headgaskets
    Water Pump
    Thermostats
    Timing belt
    New wires, plugs, etc.
    All other gaskets, etc.
    Heads had to be planed.

The shop and I negotiated on cost. They had to take all of this stuff off to do the headgaskets, and I gave them 2 additional hours of labor, plus I paid 'cost' for the parts.
    (I've done a lot of business with this shop, and he's very straightforward.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bottom line - $3,800.00.
    This old car now has 138,000 miles on it and runs like a new one. (I need to have some a/c work done, though!)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  8. JMS

JMS 02

The 3.3 3MZ-FE including belt, water pump, thermostat, cam seals/crank seals should run about $1k.

9. 4GLOCKER

4GLOCKER

The Toyotas, Lexus ect, ect. have non-interference engines. If the timing belt breaks, it will not damage the engine, you just can't drive your car.

A lot of the German cars have interference engines, look out when it breaks.

10. southernshooter

southernshooter

I did my own recently on a Nissan pathfinder. Just did the belt and new radiator hoses. $35

11. Kurly

Kurly

FWIW, I've got a 2004 Lexus RX330 and have done a lot of research on the timing belt replacement. Most everyone has said that the Lexus owners manual is VERY conservative and that your timing belt should last you until at least 100-110k miles before needing to be replaced.

You should also replace the water pump even though Lexus has a great water pump design and it's unlikely it NEEDS to be replaced, but if they are already in there, it's a good idea to bite the bullet and get it done anyway.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get all the fluids replaced and then check the wear on the timing belt. If it looks fine (many of the ones taken off looked practically brand new), then I'd wait until 110-120k before replacing. It shouldn't run you more than $500 for both the water pump and TB + fluids. I take mine to an independent shop but to save money, take it to the Toyota dealership. They can do the same work as Lexus but charge a lot, lot less.

12. Danimal3805

Danimal3805

I did one of these today, in an Avalon. Took me 2 hours or so, owner wanted all OE parts :upeyes: (waste of money when installing a "premium aftermarket belt kit with the SAME BRAND parts) This thing had 140k on it and the belt WAS OE butr looked fine. They're not valve benders so stretch it (the interval) if you wish. You'll likely get plenty of warning/notice when it's on it's way out. I had an older v6 Camry with 277k on the FACTORY timing belt......I evemntually changed it just because I didn't want to be stranded in it :supergrin:

13. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I have a 96 honda accord with 300.000 miles on it, it still has the factory timing belt

14. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I have done tons of them, I was a toyota master tech for a long time. My shop would do belt and water pump at same time and I would expect it to come in at 500 or 550. I could get you an exact quote, but you would probably have a pretty good drive to get to me. Ever make it to central IL? lol.

15. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Now that you went and said this Dalton the belt will probably break tomorrow.:rofl::wow: Hope not tho....:supergrin:

16. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Is a 2004 a 3.3 liter? I have a 2002 that I bought new in 2003. It was in the back of the lot for some unknown reason and only had a couple of miles on it. It has the 3.0 liter engine and 44,000 miles. I forget the timing belt change mileage, maybe 60,000 or 90,000 miles. I think the spark plugs are suppose to be good for 105,000 miles. The rubber in the timing belt does age but I'm going to let ride a while. I might keep it another year or two. It's been a good car but fuel mileage isn't great. I'll only mess with the water pump when it starts to leak.

I do like to buy exhaust pipe from the dealer instead of the aftermarket ones that have six pieces clamped together.

17. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

I put 355,000 miles on my 1999 Toyota Camry. It started off new as a rental. I bought it used with 65,000 miles from the 2nd owner. The timing belt broke at 135,000 miles so I had it replaced along with the water pump. Oxygen sensor went bad at 175,000 miles and that was about $450 mostly for the part. Timing belt and water pump again at 235,000. New starter at 275,000 miles. Changed the spark plugs for the first time at 300,000. New radiator at 325,000 miles, I think that last water pump performed poorly... Replaced the timing belt and water pump at the same time. The O2 sensor was going again when I got rid of the car at 355,000. Drove well but I didn't want to put any more money into it. Sold it for $660. I changed the oil myself every 10,000-15,000 miles with regular Penzoil 10w-30 and cheap Fram filters. I had the transmision flushed twice and had brakes done 3x. Lots of tires. NOTHING else! I abused that car and it liked it!

Timing belt and water pump combo was about $550, never took it to anyone but the local shop.

18. devildog2067

devildog2067

Man, I don't think I've driven 350k miles in my entire life. I've had my Porsche 8+ years and only put about 50k miles on it.

EDITED TO ADD: It's not my only car, and most of my road trips have been done on other cars... but still, I bet I've only driven 150k miles since 1999.

19. 4 glocks

4 glocks

I have a 1993 4cyl Camry Timeing belt broke at 190,000.
    Replace water pump it broke about 2 years later. Then that WP broke about 2 years later. 1 st WP was O Really's 2nd was a NAPA. If the belt breaks it will not damage anything so maybe just let it ride. It now has 230,000 runs like a top.