Anyone else like lever actions?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by frank_drebin, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

I'll have to look when I get home but I think it's a 1973 336 in .30-30.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #61 Travclem, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

Don't know why, don't know what.... All I know is I want a Rossi Ranch Hand in 357 real bad

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Jbar, I gotta tell ya... I went elk hunting a few months back with a guy carrying a .38-55. He was shooting a Lyman #375248 over some IMR 4895. After what I saw at 11,000 feet, above Glenwood Springs, I am a true believer, Amigo.

:thumbsup:

:cowboy:

4. YES!

Have a Marlin 1894css in .357mag, an 1895sbl in .45-70 and literally JUST TODAY bought a 336Y to turn into a compact scout rifle - should be awesome with the 16" barrel. Not sure if I will ad a rail and red dot or just a Skinner peep-sight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. For a tactical rifle type of guy. I too am drawn to lever guns. I got a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 and a 1894 in .44 magnum. Love them.

6. Dang you guys, now I want to go get a 45/70 or 45 LC large loop lever. I have a Henry hanging on the wall, for when me and my boy go plinking. Now I want a big one for a brush gun.

7. Don't overlook the 30-30 or 300 savage for a brush gun. They are readily available and sold in such large numbers for a reason.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. frank_drebin

Ran in to a shop locally today to snag some ammo and saw an old Marlin on the shelf. Just walk away... Just walk away....

"Can I see that one please?" Looked at the date code, 1968 336RC Microgroove Barrel.

Nice scope and still had bullseye in the stock. I asked how much... $200 out the door.

walk away... just walk away.....

yeah, I bought it.

9. $200? That just makes me angry.

10. I have had a 30-30 Marlin sitting around for twenty years, then I used it for hunting this year and loved it. I have an eye on .32WS but it's at a Pawn shop and their asking a little much for a gun that hasn't been loved. And I just over the weekend found a Winchester 45LC. Plan on making the trip back this weekend.

11. nice rifle, I couldn't find one and had to settle for a Ruger 96/44

12. I picked up this Winchester Trapper in .44 Mag thinking I'd use it for SASS...but I never bought the other three guns I would've need to compete. :whistling:

Anyway, I added a synthetic stock and XS Ghost Ring sights when the "Tactical Patrol Lever Rifle" concept was popular for five minutes during the original AWB.

[​IMG]

I bought my Guide Gun in anticipation of a Bigfoot hunt, but that never materialized. :supergrin:

[​IMG]

13. frank_drebin

Lol, she's no beauty queen. It's interesting because the manufacture date is 1968 and the first 2 digits in the serial are 68. All the books say that in 1968 it should still be a letter code of AD.

The gun looks great except for one rather unfortunate spot where the owner left it in a padded case for 20 years.

I'm attacking that area post haste.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Ramline?

15. Yep...but take note, the forend is designed to fit a .30-30; it takes a bit of whittling to fit it to a rifle chambered in .44/.45.

16. As you can see Frank. Pretty much anyone who ever bought one loves them. They're really isn't a whole lot not to like about them know matter what caliber you buy it in. Lever actions will still be made after most of us are dead and gone. My old 1981 Marlin 336 will be handed down a family member. Just haven't decided which one yet. :rofl:

#76 Bob Hafler, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  17. I had a Uberti 1873 but sold it due to being to pretty and pricey for the abuse I'd put it through. Tomorrow I'm picking up a Rossi Ranch hand in 45 Colt and already have a stainless follower, safety delete plug and higher front sight on order since all of the Ranch Hands seem to shoot 10-14" too high due to Rossi putting the same sights on them as their rifles.

If I go with another full length lever rifle, it will be a Rossi 92 so I don't feel too bad if it gets beat to hell. Now I need to find a leather drop leg holster for the Ranch Hand that dosn't cost too much and completely covers everything up to the lever. I know the options but even $145 is to much for something I'll probably never carry. I'll probably end up making my own.

#77 Nakanokalronin, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  18. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Thanks,.....took me a few years to find this one.

19. Got me a Puma m92 357 and Marlin 30-30. Both are perfect. Want to add a henry 22 and another 357 in stainless with octagon barrel

20. My 1895 Thumper
    >[​IMG]