Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Anyone else having a hard time warming up to 45 ACP?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by thegriz18, Dec 28, 2009.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    I just can't get myself to like it.... Anyone else?
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

Jun 19, 2007
    Its ~100 years old now, someone must have :dunno:

Dec 20, 2002
    It took me many years to warm up to it. Eight years in the Navy and I could barely qualify with the 1911. Bought a Kimber when I got out to teach myself to shoot, but it was an unreliable POS.
    Went through a long progression of 9mm's and the finaly got a USP .45. Finally, a gun I could hit the target with and it was reliable. Now I shoot an HK 45 and it's all good. Lets see, it only took fifteen years, not bad.
  4. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    Ok, I hate to even ask, what is wrong w/ the 45acp besides the fact that it recoils a bit more than a 9mm? In crap hole states like Kalif. the single biggest advantage to the 9mm is mag cap. Here you get 10, so why carry around a G17 or Berreta for 10rds when a 45acp is the same size & can hold 8+1 or in some models 10+1? My 1911PD is just as light as a G19 & thinner, so it carries just as well or better & I give up two rounds, but probably need the extra 2rds since it is a 9mm.:scared: Big bullets, big holes, what's not to like?:dunno:
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    The very first handgun I ever bought was a COLT Commander in .45 ACP. As it was a light-weight aluminum frame, it kicked like a proverbial mule. I got rid of it and went to the .38/.357 and 9mm. But repeatedly I kept coming back to the .45 ACP in various 1911 designs as well as the Sig P-220. I now have a superbly accurate S&W 625-2 and a Springfield Mil-Spec. 1911-A1 in .45 ACP. We keep a G-22 at the house for HD/SD as my wife is most comfortable with it. However she is very effective with the 1911 pistol for target shooting. And she has never complained that recoil of the .45 ACP or .40 S&W was to difficult to control. If I had to choose only one handgun caliber, it would be the .45 ACP. For range, recreational shooting and SD/HD, it is outstanding. Sincerely. Brucev.
  6. RMTactical

RMTactical CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I just bought my first .45ACP. I like it. However, I am not so sure about the .45 in anything outside of the 1911.
  7. coal

Dec 20, 2009
    Umm... no. While you may not be alone, you are in a company of few.

What is it that you dislike?
  8. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    I guess it really goes to what firearm you shoot it out of -Mine have been all Rugers and I never had a problem 'Warming up to it" !! Always been 100% reliable and shoot where I need to shoot, easy to carry -except the P90!:upeyes:
  9. MedicOni

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NM
    I'm not a big fan of it either. It's an ok round but I have others I like more that are just as powerful
  10. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Me too. Had a G30 .45 ACP. Loved it. Then got a 1911. Guess what got sold?
  11. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Sep 11, 2005
    Four Corners
    I still like it, but I no longer see it as the end all, best caliber for self defense. First, you have to be partial to the "flying ashtray" school of ballistic performance. Slow and heavy works, but it requires a larger, heavier frame in a handgun and a reduced magazine capacity. There are some exceptions to what I've just said about magazine capacity, but they have thick grips with reduced ergonomic efficiency. Even the smaller framed .45GAP suffers from the inherent reduced magazine capacity factor. So for my part, I still enjoy my .45's at the range. I have no plans to sell them, but I carry something else now.

May 24, 2006
    Who Dat Nation
    I like the .45 ACP and the 9mm. Two of my favorite handguns are chambered in the old grouch 45. I especially like the idea of carrying 11rds of 230gr JHP's in a CCW'able package like this;
  13. Evela

Apr 11, 2009
    It's simple. Like the Harley, it's become an American tradition. Old, outmoded but ego friendly. I like my Honda and 9mm Glock, both are better, faster, do more. But I sure like the sound of them straight pipes...
  14. JRI

Feb 27, 2008
    +1 what fred said
  15. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    I don't consider a 200 gr bullet at 908 fps slow! Now a 147 gr 9 minimeter at 900 fps is slow and weak actually!:rofl: The thing I like about the 45 ACP it gives you 45 LC balistics in an Semi Auto. And we all know the 45LC was the king of SD rounds for quite awhile!:supergrin:
  16. easyg

May 29, 2007
    I like the caliber .45ACP, but I don't find many handguns in that caliber that I care for.
    It seems that all of them either have huge grips or a low magazine capacity.
    There's just no way to get lots of .45ACP bullets in to a medium framed handgun.

So, I'll stick with the .40S&W and the .357Sig.
  17. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    Then you need to shoot the XD or M&P, great shooting guns that actually fit a med size hand, unlike a G21.
  18. Dave T

Dave T

Jan 5, 2000
    Actually I've had a lifetime of trouble warming up to any other semiauto caliber/cartridge. I like the 10mm now and own both 9mm and a 40 but the 45 ACP is always my first choice for carry.

Now when it comes to revolvers I'm much more versatile. (smile)

19. BadAndy

Oct 2, 2004
    Irmo, SC
    I like .45...I'm just stuck with small hands that don't fit most .45 guns very well. Stupid index (trigger) fingers are just short enough that I can't get full contact on the face of the trigger without holding the gun in an akward position.

That said, I'm quite happy with my 9mm pistols and don't worry one bit about the performance of my rounds.
  20. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    I bought my first 45 ACP in 1982, a Colt MK IV Series 70 in electroless nickel and loved it immediately. All the crap I had heard of heavy recoil was proven to be bs the first time I took it out to shoot.