Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

anyone else go overboard on 1911s in 2011-2012?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by deguelo, Aug 24, 2012.

1. deguelo

Nov 3, 2006

okay, i'll admit it.... i got somewhat caught up in the romantic tidal wave of the 100th anniversary.....

i made several purchases involving jmb's legacy, having to part with several items in my collection to finance same.

i now have a nagging feeling that my collection is a bit 1911 heavy. i certainly don't regret any of the purchases i made (incluing a gc nn bobtail and a dw cco), but it's a vast gun world out there...... any one feeling the same?

regards-- deguelo
  2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I bought a bunch of Colts in 2011 because of the 100-years-old birthday phenomenon. This year I am limited to a well used 1970s MkIV/Series 70, another Series 80 blued Government Model in .38 Super and two Talo Custom Carry .38 Supers (they're currently on the way to the gun shop).

I think I'm pretty much gunned out for the M1911. I may continue to hunt up some vintage Colt .38 Super just because I like the caliber.

3. TexasLEO

Jan 4, 2010
    yepper, I also bought a GI No Name Commander Bobtail as well as a Wilson Combat CQB Elite....Love em both though and glad I made the purchases. :whistling:
  4. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    I bought a few last year as well.
  5. GOOFA

Feb 26, 2007
    Out of 14 total, 5 were 1911's.
  6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I bought a few myself. :cool:
  7. deadite

deadite Groovy.

I got two, but they were ones that I've been wanting. The fact that it was the 100 year anniversary was coincidental.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  8. deguelo

Nov 3, 2006
    so we've seen...... :wow::supergrin:
  9. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    I only bought two. A Springfield stainless GI, and a Remington R1.
    I did get a bunch of other stuff though, including an old school S&W 9mm and a couple more M&P's.
  10. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

5 Kimbers to include a Gold Combat.

I don't drink or cheat on my wife, what can I say :rofl:
  11. minderasr

minderasr NRA Life Member

May 19, 2009
    New York
    Picked up a Ruger SR-1911 for the anniversary. My first 1911, and it instantly became my favorite platform. That led to the Dan Wesson VBob. No way I could keep up with some of you. Wish I could afford more. But I'm very happy with what I have, and thanks to this forum my education continues.
  12. Tallahassee

Aug 3, 2010
    I bought two, but they were both me being in the right place at the right time. One was an NM serial number Mil Spec, and the other was a Rock River Basic Carry. When I found the Mil Spec I had just gotten interested in them. When I came across the Rock River it was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time, but I couldn't pass it up.

Those are my only two 1911s right now, and I'm content with that for time time being. Sometime in the future I'll probably look to add a Les Baer.
  13. deguelo

Nov 3, 2006
    my issue is that i don't have any discretionary gun money-- i'm on a sell one (or two or three) to buy one regimen. it makes for tough decisions that have led to second thoughts about the composition of my overall collection. 1911's comprise a considerable percentage of the value of my collection, to the detriment of other categories of firearms in which i have interest.

as problems go, this one is pretty insignificant, no doubt.
  14. PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    Guilty as charged. I bought a Colt WWI repro, Colt CCO, Les Baer Stinger, Kimber Royal (series one), and a Para Ord P13. Only the Colt WWI repro was at all motivated by the 100th anniversary thing though. I just like 1911's and worked a lot of overtime in the last 18 months.
  15. jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I did manage to add a few more 1911s to my collection in 2011. I have not bought any in 2012 so far. I already have 81 1911s in my collection.
  16. myglockisa23

May 6, 2002
    NE Georgia

Just kidding on the was $50,000 and had been refinished.....and I'm trading the Commanders to purchase two more full size 70 Series Govt Models.....
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  17. mntrpr

Mar 22, 2003
    I acquired a Springfield Pro w/rail in 9mm, Springfield Pro in 40, EMP 9, and a Miller Custom in 9
  18. Billua

Billua Lake Mead Explr

Sep 30, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    I picked up three.

A Ruger SR 1911
    A Sig Scorpion
    A Springfield TRP...

I'll work on Colts next year...
  19. I don't have enough money to be a collector, but I was inspired by 2011 to finally get a 1911. Of course, it had to be a Colt. 2011 wasn't any other mfr's 100th 1911 anniversary, was it?
  20. I like 1911s, but I will not pay the premium cost of a collectible. I use what I own and I like value.

Also, I am not better off (financially) now than I was four years ago.

Also, I do not want to spend during the election year panic buying.

Maybe next year will be a good time to spend.