Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Anyone else EDC a mounted weapon light?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by youngdocglock, Aug 8, 2012.

1. youngdocglock

Jun 28, 2012
    So lately i've been carrying my G22 with a Streamlight TLR-2 as my EDC. Having issues finding good holsters.

However i was wondering, how many of you have a Weapon light on your EDC? and what is your preferred method of carry?
  2. fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Tried it for 6 months. IWB G22 with X300. No problem carrying or concealing it. But couldn't see any use for that setup in my personal carry. Handheld works for me.

3. youngdocglock

Jun 28, 2012
    I like the single handed operation of a mounted light. Leaves my weakhand free as a secondary defense for grabbing, shoving etc. Just ordered a Bravo custom kydex OWB for my EDC..sad part is it failed to mention there was a 40 day turn around until AFTER i placed my now comes the waiting game :/
  4. K00R

Aug 3, 2012
    Fantastic kydex holsters, amazing customer service, 2 week turn around. Cancel yours and order from them instead. You win't regret it.

I carry with a sure fire x300 attached everyday for 2 years now.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  5. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I have a holster for my p220 with tlr-1 but it doesn't work for carry very well. I'll stick to my e2e for ccw.
  6. jamaicanj

Nov 25, 2007
    I carry a rmr'ed g17 with x300 at times in a dale fricke appendix holster and other times in a raven pahantom holster.
  7. youngdocglock

Jun 28, 2012
    Not many of us out there i see. I carry my light after dark. During the day i have a small light in my pocket. but i like having my weak hand free when the sun goes down, I mainly carry the TLR after 8pm. But its always close by just in case ;-)
  8. RetailNinjitsu

Jun 1, 2007
    I would love to be able to carry a weapon light. However, I am not willing to give up my 27. Even if I switched to an M&P Compact or something similar, there aren't any lights that are compact enough IMHO for CCW. The Viridian C5L looks like the best bet but its reviews have been 50/50. The TLR3 sticks way out and I don't like how it mounts.
  9. youngdocglock

Jun 28, 2012
    Yeah. Compact weapons are tough. Smallest i will do is the 23/32 series. And IMO the TLR3 sucks massively. I bought 3 of them and returned all three, the plastic construction makes them uber weak and easily broken.
  10. Makes absolutely no sense for EDC since during daytime it's, well....light out.

I do have a TRP Operator on my permit, I have an X300 on it and I keep it in a Wilderness Safepacker. Take it with me anytime I feel like it after dark, or other times during the day when I don't feel like or cannot carry IWB; I have a shoulder strap on the Safepacker.

I really couldn't imagine carrying a gun with an X300 IWB, my hat is off to those who do....

It's really convenient to have the Safepacker all loaded up & ready to go; no need to fuss with a holster, spare mag,'s all in there already. Just throw over my head & head out.
  11. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I tried it with a Surefire X300 across several platforms. It didn't work for me. I prefer my handheld light.
  12. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

Jun 22, 2012
    Kenai, Alaska
    I ordered paddle holsters for my G20 and Sig 1911 with lights mounted from Blade-tech. They should be here in another 2-3 weeks. I personally couldn't imagine trying to put a gun with a light in an IWB holster so for that I'll stay with my Delta Elite sans light. The G20 and Sig will be carried a lot during the winter when I'm wearing a heavy jacket and they can be easily concealed
  13. TattooedGlock

TattooedGlock NRA LIFE MEMBER

Jun 21, 2006
    South Texas
    Carry a Surefire in my pocket once in a while if out at night, but a mounted light would be overkill and uncomfortable to me.
  14. Also consider that a light mounted means that you're pointing your gun at what ever you're illuminating. Could be very dangerous, risky and definetely ill advised.
  15. Rex G

Rex G

Mar 24, 2003
    SE TX
    This is why a weapon-mounted light (WML) is not a substitute for a handheld light. That being said, I am often able to detect a threat with ambient light, that justifies a drawn weapon, and a WML will then be of benefit. I can see him, he can see me; we are able to kill each other with ambient light, but a WML might well allow to me to see something important. I work big-city night shift police patrol, so this is not idle speculation on my part.

I consider a WML to be a desirable option. My latest holster purchase is a Raven Concealment Phantom, to accomodate a G17 with a Surefire X-series light. My Safariland duty holster allows me to carry a Surefire on my duty pistol, which still a SIG P229R .40. (I hope to soon switch to the G17 as a duty pistol, as cumulative .40 recoil is really starting to get to my bad wrist.)

I am not obsessed with the idea of a WML. I actually still prefer to tote revolvers most of the time, and do not get anxious about their inability to accept a WML.

As I said, above, the hand-held light is the more important one, and I really like my Surefire LX2 lights.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  16. TheChuck

Aug 2, 2008
    I carry a G30SF w/ a Veridian X5L in a Bucks Holsters Pro Tucker. I also have one for my G26 without attachment in horsehide. This thing makes my G30 disappear.
  17. Blankshooter

Jul 7, 2010
    I guess it would depend on the purpose of carry. For duty carry I think it would have more benefits, but for concealed carry it would be a different story.

For concealed carry, I just carry a non-mounted compact flashlight for a couple of reasons.

1. I tend to use the light in situations where I have no need to draw. I.E. every day situations. Like mentioned above, a weapon mounted light could not be used here since I would be pointing the weapon at what is illuminated.

2. If a situation occurs at night that may be precarious I envision myself using the flashlight as a deterrent well before the need to draw or while determining if there is a need to draw. If I then needed to draw, I don't see a situation where I would immediately need a second light unless I dropped the first one. In which case it doesn't matter any way.

3. If an immediate threat occurs at night and I feel the need to draw I envision a.) the target would already have been identified/engaged b.) by the time I remember I had a flashlight of any kind, the incident would have ended in one way or the other.

So, I don't carry with a mounted light, but I could see it being beneficial for Home Defense or certainly duty carry.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  18. Noots

Nov 25, 2009
    Baltimore, MD

Does Bucks not sell that holster anymore? I went to the website and there's nothing on there for firearms with attachments?
  19. TheChuck

Aug 2, 2008
    They do them as a special order, I called them and had to send them my tac light, the return shipping was free and the total cost of the holster was around $70 with the cowhide I think the horsehide is $10 more. I am super pleased with these rigs, Bucks will do pretty much anything you want, and their turnaround time is unbelievably fast.
  20. skew12

Sep 13, 2012
    This looks pretty good.