Anyone else buy an awesome 1911 and never shoot it?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by B_RAD, Sep 23, 2012.

1. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Not me. I bought a Springfield GI, dumped the factory mags for Wilsons, changed the recoil spring to an 18lb, and put a healthy dollup of grease on the rails and fired away.

I bought it because I grew listening to my father talk about the 1911 he was issued in the military back in the day. I wanted one just for range fun.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. All of my pistols get fired, some much more often than others. I've started taking several of the same caliber to the range together.

3. Sorry to burst your bubble, while your Baer is a great gun, it's not a collector. They retail new for $1980, with the street price less than that.

4. i have an origional colt 1911 i had sent to a gun smith for a new set of sights and link and pin for a storm lake barrel any way i know its almost sackrilidge to change the origional gun for upgrade perpouses but i did it any way and the gun smiths at wolfs den in minnesota have had my gun for going on 8 months i wanted you to work on it not keep it so im pissed to say the least i miss my baby damn

5. Its like having a fine automobile that you never drive. A WASTE.

Cars are meant to be driven, guns are meant to be shot.

6. I've decided to keep it (for now) I plan on shooting it around Thanksgiving. Really running it thru the motions. Only a month away.

7. I only have own 3 guns but they all get shot...lately though it has only been my 1911...such a joy to shoot and carry...

8. That is what a lot of us do.

9. Very cool :cool:

10. It all depends on the car, the gun, and YOUR opinion.

I have several guns I will never shoot. People can collect guns like they can collect anything else. It's not a waste, in MY opinion.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Many will think that your post was a WASTE!

12. Yep. Life is way too short to sit there and admire a gun in the safe or a car in the garage.

13. The one with the "green" dot will be shot when my son opens this Christmas present......Christmas morning.

[​IMG]

Best.

14. I agree 100%. No safe queen or garage queen here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#54 BearZ061, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  15. Very nice

16. I actually find pleasure in admiring some guns and pleasure in shooting others. I don't own any typical semi-customs that I don't shoot, but I do own several collectible 1911s and other handguns that I take pride in not shooting.

Everyone is different, I guess. :dunno:

#56 bac1023, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  17. faawrenchbndr

CLM

Who gives a **** if someone does not care to shoot a pistol?
    What's the point in bustin their balls? They may be saving it
    for a child, family member or a museum.

18. I never understood it either, Greg.

People collect all sorts of things that just sit around. Why does every gun have to be shot. Believe me, I shoot probably over 90% of what I own, but I have a few pieces that don't and probably never will see the range.

I'm not talking your run of the mill semi custom, I'm talking items that you can't really find that I bought unfired.

19. faawrenchbndr

CLM

You are one of many private collectors. I applaud you & others
    for preserving these rare firearms. :supergrin:

20. Thanks Greg :wavey:

Like I said, its not many that I don't shoot. I'd say less than a 10th of my collection.