Anyone else buy an awesome 1911 and never shoot it?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by B_RAD, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Well, I find my 1911 is the one that doesn't get shot. For one reason, the ammo prices. The second is that I really hate cleaning it. I know some love it. But, the simplicity of my CZ's and others just make it easier when you have to find 2 hours simply to shoot. The wife isn't too happy when I get home and say I have to clean all my guns after I've left her at home w/ the kids.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I hope after I die they open up my gun safe and say "hey these guns are all worn out"

BOOSTED12A sequestered!

i have 2. my fathers 10" 3 screw blackhawk and my step fathers 1918 colt 1911 that was rearsenaled at agusta arsenal. everything else get used often

BOOSTED12A sequestered!

after my G21 my hardballer gets the most use!
    #24 BOOSTED12A, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  5. okie

okie GT Mayor

If I bought it I guaran damn tee it's gonna get shot:supergrin:
  6. This.

Buying a No-name and not shooting it should be a crime.
  7. I agree.
  8. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

A guy I work with has several '11s, including a Nighthawk and a Wilson. He hasn't been shooting in 14 months.

We're going to remedy that next week. I really looking forward to shooting his pistols.
  9. PhotoFeller

Silver Member

I bought my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special 1911 about four years ago, and it has been to the range only one time to make sure it works. While I intended to shoot it often, it is just too good lookin' to risk scratching it up. I've got about $2,000 tied up in this pistol and I should sell it. So far I've convinced myself that just cleaning it and admiring it is enough.

My Les Baer is like money in the bank, as I see it. I'm not sure the Thunder Ranch Special is still built today, but it is a highly regarded semi-custom pistol that should easily sell. For now, I'd rather own it than have $2,000 in a savings account.
    #29 PhotoFeller, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  10. No. Every gun i buy will be shot no matter how 'nice' it is. Life is too short......
  11. I mostly shoot my two 5" guns.... But all get out to the range from time to time.

FWIW: Baer still makes the TRS AFAIK
  12. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

They are still building them now but I get the feeling their days are numbered.
  13. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

I've never bought a safe queen. Being a poor retired guy, I shoot all I have, except for a mint 1968 Browning BAR. That's a proper investment for me.
  14. I have a Springfield 1911 that went through the custom shop. I bought it new 10-15 years ago and have only shot it twice. The gun has had less than 20 rounds through it.

I shoot my STI Trojan all the time.
  15. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

I am Jonesing VERY BADLY for the new Ruger SR1911. But like a lot of folks these days I am having trouble scratching up the $$$ needed to make the deal. But I'll assure you that if I ever do get it it will have 250 rounds through it before the sun sets one more time. I mean it!
  16. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

B-RAD you area sick, sick man.
  17. Skeet732

Skeet732 NRA Life Member

I tend to shot my Sigs mostly, most of my shotguns are cooling their heels since I stopped shooting Skeet. Time to dial it up again
  18. Why is that?
  19. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

For buying such an amazing firearm and not shooting it!:rofl:
  20. cessnastud

cessnastud Rawr!!!

I have a 1917 Colt Commercial that I've only put one mag through. I'd shoot it more, but it's in too good of condition. If I found out that it's worthless, that'd be a different story all together. It's not perfect, but I'm not going to pay for anything else in better shape. I'd love to get an old Colt 1911 or two in "shooter" condition.