close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone drive a Subaru Impreza?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gonzoso, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I'm looking at a 2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport(too many words in a car name). 2.5, 5spd with 91k for about 6,500.

I presently drive a 1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 5spd with 140k.

I'm kinda getting tired of the Jeep and I'm not willing to spend any more money on it if anything breaks. I got it for 3k 5 years ago and just want something with out mechanical failure hanging over me. I only put 1k in parts into it so I'm hesitant of driving it any more as it is getting to that fiscal tipping point.

And I'm looking forward to the better gas mileage.

What do you that drive these have to say about them? Besides lame liberal lesbian jokes.

I just gotta figure out how to put a bike and kayak rack on it. I'm thinking a 2" hitch for the bike rack and a roof rack for kayaks. Plus the 2" hitch will let me carry deer without getting blood inside...

2. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Great cars. The price sounds like it could be a little high, I've seen WRX's for just a little more, but Subaru prices vary widely depending on where you are. Extremely easy and cheap to work on, reasonable mileage, but you take about a 10% hit due to the AWD. Worth it IMO in PA where you get snow, though.

Personally I'm completely sold on turbo Scoobies. Particularly the WRX and FXT. Who knows though, I may be a lesbian. (I do like women a lot) :D

3. Nords

Nords

I've got the manly version (aka '05 2.5RS... Outback isn't in it's name) with the same specs.

I'm loving it (especially in winter with snow tires). But then again I'm a rallynut :whistling:

MPG seems to go from 23 to 33 depending on how I drive and what season it is.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  4. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Well the blue book on it is about 8,500.

I'd like to get a car and save a lot of money on gas but I need more than 2wd in the snow here. Although this winter I did not have such snow I know there will be worse winters in my future.

5. ponders

ponders

ive heard horror stories of certian makes and models having notorious head gasket faliure at some point, but when replaced your good to go

6. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I've been reading quite a bit about this. It has been improved in the later model 2.5 engines but is an inevitable problem with a horizontally opposed motor.

The problem is that the head gasket gets eaten away by acidic fluids within the motor. The way a conventional motor sits the oil drains down into the oil pan when the motor is resting. Not so much with the horizontally opposed motors.

Small amounts of unburned gasoline accumulate in the oil, which does not evaporate and re-enter the manifold under conditions in which the motor isn't driven for long enough.

This turns the oil more acidic and contributes to head gasket wear.

Antifreeze which is not changed regularly can also contribute.

A badly grounded battery can actually accelerate electrolysis reactions within the coolant eroding gaskets and even aluminum.

In other words general wear and tear and poor maintenance on the motor combined with an intrinsic design problem cause head gasket problems. The newer head gaskets are stronger and more durable.

I'm also meticulous about vehicle maintenance, fluid changes etc. I also have access to a lift, a complete set of all specialty tools needed, and a friend who is a mechanic and has done 2.5 head gaskets before.

I'm hoping to avoid having to do it, but it's something I am accounting for in my calculations, and will be looking for indications of when I check the vehicle.

Also the post 2000 motors were more inclined to have external coolant leaks rather than internal, which means a slow loss outside not really messing the motor up as bad, contaminating oil etc.

7. shootingrn

shootingrn

Here is mine, it is a blast in the snow![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. rball

rball

I have a 2006 2.5i (non-turbo) sedan, 5 spd manual. It has approximately 111,000 miles on it, of which 95% are highway miles. When I get rid of it, I plan on getting another Suby. The wife has a 2008 Forester 2.5 (non-turbo) 4spd auto with 93k miles (again 95% highway). She will be getting another Suby when we get rid of that one. The AWD does rob you of some gas mileage, but it is nice to drive on the interstate/state roads/county highways when covered with snow. Hopefully the previous owner followed the maintenance intervals as suggested within the owners manual. If you can get maintenance records, that would be a plus. Regardless, the Suby Impreza is a good car. As for price, I don't know what is too much.

9. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Sounds like you have done your homework on the 2.5 motor, I would not be scared of the newer models that have the improved head gaskets. We have had 4 Subarus in the past with the mileage of 264,000 on the last wagon the wife had that we still sold for $1300 still running great. Timing Belts on the 2.2s are not bad to replace and the CV joints are not bad either, have done it on both the Legacy and the Impreza we now own, both are AWD. They are great in the snow and ice, undercarriage clearance is not real high but never have been in trouble because of that. That price is very fair for this area and I would probably jump on it if my 93 Impreza would ever wear out.:) They have a 02 Legacy Outback with 87,000 miles on a local lot and want $10,995. I get 22-30 mpg with my Impreza but it has the 1.8L motor which is kind of gutless. My wife gets 22-29 with the 2.2L in her Legacy with both being wagons. Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  10. sciolist

sciolist

2004 STi here. Great car. Gets about 7 mpg on a road course. Haven't had any problems with it attracting lesbians.

The Impreza platform is generally very reliable.

11. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

good cars. just dont think they are unstoppable snow mobiles.

also, In Before DanaT comes and talks **** about subarus

12. rilkil23

rilkil23

I sell Subarus in Colorado and would be happy to talk to you about the Impreza. PM me so we can chat on the phone.

13. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I don't expect to be able to do what my Jeep Wrangler did in 6+ inches of snow, but with the money I save in gas over the Wrangler I can buy a used one in a few years.:supergrin:

14. douggmc

douggmc

... Edmunds.com has it listed at average 6,488 for clean condition private party sale in my zip code ... So I'd say the price is fair.

A used subie is on my short list next time I'm up for vehicle

15. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

6-10 inches of snow in a AWD is nothing (good tires help), busting 18" drifts of snow that are longer than a car length takes some mph to make it thru or you will get high centered, one must know his limitations. Only time we had one stuck was when my daughter slid off a muddy road into the ditch, not pretty. I have had some compliments on our Subarus but never been hit on by a lesbian:supergrin:. Now my wife...........:whistling:

16. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I love subarus. No other car I know of can 150mph up hill in a foot of snow.

-Dana

17. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

See, my proof. How many cars other than a Subi can make through 10" of snow without a problem?

-Dana

18. VaporLock24

VaporLock24

subis are awesome cars

19. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I just got back from buying this car. So far I'm in love with it.

It's so different going from my 1997 Jeep Wrangler, which has NOTHING for comfort to this car which has all kinds of bells and whistles.

I'm gonna miss driving through mud holes and rock crawling.

But the 100 miles back my Subaru gas gauge barely moved and my Jeep went through half a tank.:supergrin: