close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone Dealing With Gout?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Oct 2, 2012.

1. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

2. southernshooter

southernshooter

Thats it! I was getting gout attacks constantly. Doc put me on allopurinol, no more gout. No side effects that I can see. Indocin (aka indomethacin) is a life saver when you do get an attack. I starts killing the heat and swelling almost immediately. Think I would have died without indocin. Still keep some on hand. Can eat anything, drink anything with no problems.

3. Shinytop

Shinytop

I had my first gout attack eight years ago. Mine felt like a sore ankle at first and then a sprained ankle and then I could not walk without crutches. After it was finally diagnosed the doctor gave me Indocin to take whenever I get the first symptoms. After being caught in New Orleans on a 5 day business trip with a gout attack it is now part of my travel kit. Knocks it out fast.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  4. smokin762

smokin762

I have gout. I am 43 years old. I have had it since I was in my late 20’s. The joint behind my right big toe swells up bad enough, that I can’t put a shoe on or walk for a week. It even hurts to allow a sheet to touch my toe. When I was younger, I went to three different doctors before it was diagnosed.

The first doctor told me it must be arthritis from a past injury. A few years later, I went to another doctor.

The second doctor told me, she had no idea what it was and wrote me a prescription for Lodine to help with the inflammation. A year later, I found an older doctor.

The third doctor said I show all the symptoms of having gout. He also said it was odd at my age. He told me, there was a lot of information out there and do some research for a diet that will work best for me.

He was right. It turns out, that alcohol and peanuts are my worst enemies. I stopped consuming those five years ago and I haven’t had an attack since.

5. turretg

turretg

I heard C is bad for gout but some say its good so who knows.

6. deputy tom

deputy tom

7. Drilled

Drilled

Apple cider vinegar with the mother in it is supposed to work as well, just do a search.

A lot of medications can cause gout.

8. Mr981

Mr981

Absolutely; I took Cipro for a urinary track infection and had an attack within 12 hours. Talk about throwing gasoline on the fire..

Going forward, I starting drinking cherry juice and cinnamon daily. No flare ups since.

9. bush pilot

bush pilot

A case of gout will really hamper practicing clog dancing.

10. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Lead poisoning and the gout connection

Jun 22, 2009

Recently, gout has inundated the business and health news. The big stories are about US Federal Drug Administration’s approvals of new uric acid lowering drugs for gout and hyperuricemia. Scientists at John Hopkins University also made the news claiming to have found the “gout gene.”

Population studies indicate that there is an alarming worldwide increase of gout, and the pharmaceutical companies see a potential billion-dollar a year market in developing new uric acid lowering drugs. The rising tide of gout suffers has also sparked new interest among financially stressed universities as a means to obtain lucrative research grants.

Uric acid is a product of the liver and is essential to many metabolic functions, such as regulating protein synthesis, forming the DNA, and regulating body temperature as well as functioning as a metabolic antioxidant and eliminating wastes from the body.

When kidney function is somehow impaired and does not eliminate uric acid properly, the result is a buildup in the blood (hyperuricemia). In some people that causes painful gout.

Today, most gout research is predicated on archaic notions and misinformation about the causes of gout. Consequently, many gout drugs simply alleviate a symptom and mask potentially fatal health problems.

The foremost misconception is that the primary cause of gout is overindulgence of rich foods and alcohol consumption. This misconception takes its roots from face value accounts of the indulgent lifestyles associated with gout suffers of historical significance.

Many researchers use that erroneous assumption as a factual foundation for scientific research into formulating new drug treatments for gout. However, throughout history there is an inextricable link between lead poisoning and gout (saturnine gout) among the aristocracy and affluent. Most researchers and medical professionals either ignore or are ignorant of the historic lead poisoning/gout connection.

The cause of gout among the celebrities of ‘olde’ wasn’t so much about what they ate and drank, but more related to the lead content of what they ate from, what foods and drink were stored in, lead acetate sweetening agents, use of lead based cosmetics, paints and pigments, and even the use of lead salts in the medicines.

The prominent figures in history always put forth as examples of gout suffers were almost certainly afflicted with lead poisoning that caused their gout.

Lead poisoning promotes kidney damage and inhibits uric acid excretion causing it to buildup in the blood (hyperuricemia). Hyperuricemia is the most common cause of gout, and toxicologists view gout as a primary symptom of lead poisoning.

Benjamin Franklin is an example of a famous person often cited in gout articles mainly because he was a rotund individual known for his enjoyment of the good life, and perceived overindulgent lifestyle.

In Franklin’s day, lead poisoning was of epidemic proportions on both sides of the Atlantic. During his lifetime, there was extensive use of lead products to make food storage containers, glass, and glazes for pottery. Lead acetate was a primary sweetener for bread, desserts, wines, and food. They painted their homes with lead based paints, and it was in the distilled spirits and fortified wines they drank as well as the containers in which they were stored. They added lead to tobacco snuff and even to black pepper. Hair and bone analysis of exhumed skeletal human remains from the American Colonial Period commonly show high levels of lead.

In the 18th - 19th centuries, there was also gout epidemic in Britain attributed to the consumption of lead acetate laced fortified wines and cider made by lead presses (Devon Colic). It was also commonplace for the affluent gentry and aristocracy of that period to have a bowl of lead acetate sitting on the dinner table for those who desired added sweetness to their food or drink.

Gout was also rampant among the patricians and plebeians of the Roman Empire, as was lead poisoning. Historians view lead poisoning as a primary factor in the fall of the Roman Empire. The documented relationship between lead poisoning and gout dates back to the early Egyptians. Analysis showed high lead levels in the mummies’ hair and there was also documentation of gout among the royalty.

Down through 6000 years of documented history, the association between lead poisoning and gout with historical figures is unequivocal.

In the modern annals of toxicology and history of lead poisoning, the gout of ‘olde’ is always attributed to lead poisoning, not the overindulgence of protein rich foods and alcohol as most medical professionals state as fact.

Today, the increasing incidence of gout in populations and the time-line for developing gout symptoms can once again be associated with lead poisoning. This is due to the extensive use of leaded petrol, lead-based paint, and industrial pollution in the post World War II era.

People born between 1945 and 1971 stand the greatest chances of developing gout and hyperuricemia as symptoms of lead poisoning. Aside from all other exposures to lead, the most ubiquitous during that period was from the use of leaded petrol.

From the onset of adding lead to petrol, many scientists foresaw the potential of mass subclinical lead poisoning among populations.

In 1924, Yandell Anderson, professor of applied physiology at Yale University, the inventor of the gas mask, was among those who warned about mass poisoning from leaded petrol.

In 1965 that Clair Patterson, a geochemist, proved that lead in human bodies had increased 100 times since the introduction of lead in petrol.

In 1980, the US National Academy of Sciences said that leaded petrol was the greatest source of atmospheric lead pollution.

Leaded petrol was most likely the worst culprit aside from lead-based paints and lead plumbing in homes for lead poisoning. Not only did the lead from petrol pollute the air, soil, and water, but also the food crops used to feed people and farm animals. Lead pollution from petrol became a part of the food chain, and was in everything we consumed.

The most insidious aspect of the pollution from leaded petrol is that it can readily be absorbed through the skin and directly into the blood stream. The pollution also has the mischievous distinction of being readily available via all routes of exposure: oral, inhalation, and absorption through the skin.

With the phasing out of leaded petrol in the United States, the blood lead levels of all Americans declined 78 percent between 1978 and 1991. The decline was in exact proportion to the declining levels of lead in the petrol supply and coincided with the reduction of lead air pollution. The results were similar in countries around the world that phased out the use of leaded petrol for on-road vehicles.

However, just because there was dramatic reduction of environmental pollution from leaded petrol, the health problems associated with long-term exposure were not. The adverse health effects of lead poisoning are not always immediate and often manifest themselves decades later in the form of hypertension, cardiovascular disease, presenile dementia, impaired cognitive ability, and kidney damage, among others, including gout.

95% of all lead to which we are exposed is stored in the bone, and has a half-life of 28 years.

Lead is what toxicologists refer to as a “bone seeker.” It acts like calcium and becomes part of the bone structure. Consequently, our bones are a lead repository, and due to low-level, environmental lead exposures over a period of years, the lead content can reach toxic levels.

Recently, researchers found convincing evidence that many gout cases may well be associated with reabsorption into the blood of ambient lead stored in our bones.

The reason for their conclusions is that a process called bone remodeling becomes more active in middle-aged people and increases with ageing.

Bone remodeling occurs when the bone releases calcium part of the natural calcium turnover in the body. The metabolic process also releases the stored lead that causes kidney damage which in turn inhibits uric acid excretion. There is a subsequent buildup of uric acid in the blood (hyperuricemia) that causes gout in some people.

According to some research, lead reabsorption from bone remodeling may be a primary cause of hyperuricemia and gout among middle aged and elderly men, as well as postmenopausal women.

The result of reabsorbed bone-lead is lead poisoning in people not otherwise exposed to occupational levels during their lifetime. In U.S. population surveys, the results showed that second only to young children, older adults have among the highest blood lead levels from non-occupational exposures.

While exposures to the average person may be below occupational levels, over time these little exposures can add up to toxic levels in the bones. The actual impact of subchronic lead poisoning on an individual’s health does not manifest until bone remodeling begins to increase with age and larger amounts of stored lead enter the blood stream.

Reliance on the results of simple blood tests for lead levels is a poor indicator of the total body burden, and only reflects recent exposures. X-ray fluorescence is the standard for accurate determination of the total body burden.

Because of the unequivocal, historic association between lead poisoning and gout and the more recent reality of population scale exposure to lead pollution from leaded petrol, subclinical lead poisoning should be the first thing a doctor considers as the primary cause of gout.

Prescribing uric acid lowering drugs will do little more that mask the problem. If a patient is suffering from lead poisoning, at the end of the day, the doctor may lower the uric acid levels, temporarily relieving the gout attacks with drugs. However, the patent is still suffering from the deleterious effects of lead poisoning and the kidneys continue deteriorating – the doctor has only treated a symptom, not the cause.

When it comes to treatment, toxicologists should address lead related gout intervention, not medical doctors. A toxicologist would most likely recommend chelation therapy and therapeutic doses of vitamin C. Therapeutic dosages of vitamin C and potassium acetate/citrate also facilitate the excretion of uric acid without further damaging the kidneys with uric acid lowering drugs that only address the symptom.

http://www.articlesbase.com/disease...poisoning-and-the-gout-connection-986975.html

That is amazing stuff!!!

11. Restless28

Restless28

Hey, PW, that's a great post. I have been to lead poisoning classes for building inspectors before. The State here had a great agency which was educating local inspectors on lead.

I saw pictures of windowsills chewed up by kids that would startle you, as well as old window blinds being chewed on. The lead tastes sweet to kids.

The low income and low middle income folks like me have grown up and live in lead based painted homes.

I'm sure that I have been exposed over the last 39 years.

12. Reissman

Reissman Millennium Member

2 years ago i had pain in my foot basically immobilized me for 4 days, the pain lingered in my big toe for 9 months. The doctor immedietaly diagnosed me with gout, tried putting me all sorts of meds, can't remember the names right now. For 9 months I quit drinking beer, eating red meat, drank tons of juice, water over the counter meds, natural remedies "Cherry Juice" you name it! The only thing that cured the lingering pain was a shot of cortisone. Turns out the doctor should have taken a draw of the fluid in my tow to confirm it was gout.

The rheumatoid doctor finally diagnosed me with psoriatic arthritis. Appearenly a sudden arthritis attack can do the same thing. That doctor was the one that told me the other doctor should have taken fluid from the joint. Since then, it was AUG of 2010 I have swollen joints in my hands and feet. So far Naproxen and ibuprofen takes care of the pain.

Moral of my story, if you have pain and they tell you its gout, it should go away after a couple days, if it does not it could be something else. If you have an attack make the doctor stick a needle in your joint and get the fluid to confirm.

13. Peace Warrior

hey Restless, this is all news to me personally. I honestly never knew as I was under the impression that gout was a 'rich man's" disease. Who knew huh?

This is a whole 'nuther' matter for me. Sure enough though I'm gonna look into it deeper than I ever have before. Thanks for the thread and revealing insight! :wavey:

14. marv

marv Millennium Member

Several years ago gout bit me. I went to the local podiatrist and he shot cortisone into the affected joint. Instant relief. Years later it hit again. I went to our family Doc and he prescribed something, I don't recall what. He said it would make me sick as a dog for a day or so and after that I would feel OK and the gout would be gone. He was right on both counts. I've been gout free for quite a few years.

15. Peace Warrior

Chelation therapy?

16. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

It was probably colchicine. Another prescribed medicine for attacks. Tears you up.

17. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

Eat a hand full of cherries every day. The gout will go away faster than with the meds that are recommended.:thumbsup:

NN

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

that breaks down the crystals that cause the pain and allows your system to get rid of them

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Hot coffee and tabasco enemas work. Coffee has to be piping hot......boiling around the edges.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  20. Reissman

Reissman Millennium Member

:wow: You first!