close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone Dealing With Gout?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

This weekend I had a sudden inset of crippling foot pain. I had no traumatic injury. I have been walking 10-15 miles per week and this came from out of nowhere.

I'm beginning to think that I may have gout. It runs in the family, and I can fondly remember my great uncle's gout attacks when he was here. He loved his Old Milwaukee, even though it caused terrible gout in his feet.

I also think my chronic tennis elbow issues and my knee pains may be gout related.

I love good beer, but I'm beginning to think it doesn't love me.

2. skew12

skew12

Gout can be a very painful thing. Some times even worse than actually breaking a bone. I'd suggest to go ahead and see a doctor. It's not just beer you have to worry about. There's a looooong list of foods that can trigger it. Almost all seafoods. Try to drink a lot more water.

3. Restless28

Restless28

Seafood typically isn't a big part of the diet. I drink at least 64 oz if water each day.

4. JFrame

JFrame

Totally anecdotal stuff, but I recall reading that actor/martial artist Bruce Lee used to drink quart after quart of a protein mix beverage to fuel his insane training regimen.

When he took on James Coburn as a student, he got him to guzzle the protein drink also. After a while on that stuff, Coburn developed gout. Turns out his body simply could not metabolize all the protein that he was taking in, the way Lee could.

So anyway -- just a thought about monitoring the amount of protein you take in, in general...

5. Hyksos

Hyksos

My father was just officially diagnosed with gout. He walks every day too, and had a sudden horrible pain in his foot.

[​IMG]

That's a drawing from 1799, I showed it to my father (before he was diagnosed) and he said THAT! THAT! That's what i'm feeling!!

Well, now he's on meds, but his diet sucks wind. All the good stuff a person would want to eat he is now forbidden from eating. Believe it or not the doctor said it's ok if he keeps drinking beers?

6. deputy tom

deputy tom

Uloric works wonders with the gout. tom.:wavey:

7. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

I have suffered gouty arthritis in the first joint of my left big toe for several years. When it flares up, it's quite painful, but not as bad a full-blown gout. I heard that cherry juice helps to rid the body of the purines and uric acid crystals that cause the gout. I bought black cherry concentrate and use a few tablespoons in the morning and the evening. I haven't had a bad flareup in the few months I've used the stuff. Every once in a while the toe will ache, but nowhere near the pain I have had.

Watch the diet. Avoid purine-rich foods:
    • Avoid alcohol
    • Reduce how many purine-rich foods you eat, especially anchovies, sardines, oils, herring, organ meat (liver, kidney, and sweetbreads), legumes (dried beans and peas), gravies, mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, consommé, and baking or brewer's yeast.
    • Limit how much meat you eat at each meal.
    • Avoid fatty foods such as salad dressings, ice cream, and fried foods.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001459/

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  8. Keyhole

Keyhole

I used to. Took Uloric for a while as I altered my diet. Now no Uloric and no gout.

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

This has worked for the people I have told about this for over 35 years

Gout remedy

2. 1000 mg Vitamin C

2. 500 mg Pantothenic Acid

1 hour later

Take 1 and 1

2 hours later

Take 1 and 1

4 hours later

Take 1 and 1

8 hours later

Take 1 and 1

And every 8 hours after

Take 1 and 1

Until pain is gone.

(usually the next day)

(I then stop until I need it again)

If you start this when it feels like a bruise

it does not develop into the needles going through you (uric acid crystals)

10. toaddad

toaddad

I have lived with gout for over 40 years. Gout attacks, usually in the joints in the feet, are extremely painful. Uric acid builds up and form crystals which lodge in the joints and teach you the real meaning of pain. Diet, drinking lots of water to help out flush out the uric acid can help. Also, I have been taking Benimid (generic name is probenecid) which has helped me keep uric acid level in check. See your doctor and get it treated. It can save you a lot of pain. Good luck.

11. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

When it hits hard and you are ready to scream, the short-term immediate cure is:
    Two teaspoons of baking soda in water.
    Repeat every two hours as needed, but no more then about four times per day, as it spikes your blood sodium levels.

Otherwise, do this:

Except, continue the vitamin C daily for life.

Also:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  12. Glockaround the Clock

Glockaround the Clock

I have had gout attacks , not had one in 3 years because od diet and lifestyle changes . I stopped taking Allpurinol . A friend of mine is a big beer drinker and got gout, his Doctor told him he was better off with hard apple cider than beer.

13. fgutie35

fgutie35

Like with everything else, it depends on the individual.for me, is a specific type of protein that triggers it. I learned that meats with concentrated amounts of purines are the culprits. For example, if I eat fajitas moderately, Im ok, but if I even smell the ribs of the same cow, I get the attack in seconds flat. If you research, like I did, you will learn that the attack happens after a process or cycle is completed, the key, is to break that cycle in time. The trick is to study your body very well so you can identify when an attack is about to happen, then break the cycle on its tracks. For me, it starts when I feel that my ankle or big toe have to pop then I quickly pop three aleve (naproxen) pills and 8 hours later, another three until ALL the symptoms disapear. I have been controlling gout this way for over three years, without sacrificing my diet. Just know that you need to minimize the amount of those foods you know are bad, and completely skip those that you know for sure no matter how much you eat, they will affect. On a side note, I don't drink beer, so I don't have to deal with that sacrifice.:supergrin:

14. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Allopurinol works very well. I have taken it for 6-8 years.
    I have only had a few attacks in 8 years.

15. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

I'm not a doctor, but gout, as far as I know, is not hereditary. I may be wrong, but I've never heard of it being passed down to kids. When I grew up, gout was a "rich man's" disease. It was caused by all the "dainties" said rich man would eat and or "fine spirits" said rich man would drink.

If you've got gout, you might want to change your diet and or drinking habits.

16. captainstormy

captainstormy

I've had it since I was 20. It runs in my family to.

There is a long list of foods that can cause it, but typically each person is different and usually only a couple of things for each peraon are a problem.

My trouble foods are whole grain wheat, oats and barely (so no beer, but I can drink liquor and wine) and my uncle its processed meat and organ meat. For my grandfather it was chocolate and potato chips.

It will probably be a bit of a trial and error to figure out your triggers. I kept a food journal for the forst year or so to figure mine out. Start by avoiding everything on the list (which will suck) and add stuff back into your diet one item per week. That way when you have problems you know what caused it.

There are some non perscription things you can do to help as well. 1500mg a day of vitiman C really helps as does making sure to eat plenty of flavinoids. They can be found in red fruits such as cherries red grapes (its in the skin for grapes) pommagrantee etc etc.

Red wine btw, contains more per ounce than anything else and works wonders. I make sure to have 1-2 glasses a week and take my vitiman C.

Doing that and watching my diet I haven't had an attack in 4 years. I've even slipped up a time or two on my diet and accidently eaten something I shoulsnt and it wasn't a problem.

Sorry for any typos and such. I was on my phone.

17. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Just reading about it makes me cringe. I've been gout-free for a few years, but still I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Seems like I used Apple Cider Vinegar last time I had it bad, and it worked for me.

18. dango

dango

Wow ,I feel it ,like shreded glass in the joints "urick- acid"!

Have at spell checkers!:tongueout:

19. captainstormy

captainstormy

I'm told that soping it on there with a rag can help the swelling and the heat a bit (for those withou gout, you skin is warm to the touch during an attack) but never tried it. Didn't wanna touch it.

20. GotFour

GotFour

Allopurinol .........its cheap and it works. Indocin will knock out any accute attacks......just have a supply on hand. Didn't have to give up my beer or my seafood.... :supergrin: