anyone convert a S&W 642 to 9mm

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by AWMP, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Curious if anyone has converted their 38 spl S&W 642 to 9mm?

How is the recoil in 9mm?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Has anyone converted a savage mk2 to use 10/22 mags? General Firearms Forum Aug 31, 2013
    Anyone convert A Springfield XD to 460? General Firearms Forum Nov 25, 2012
    Anyone here convert their Draco to an SBR? The Kalashnikov Klub Nov 10, 2012
    Have anyone ever convert your 80 series safety to 70? General Firearms Forum Sep 22, 2012
    Have you converted anyone? The 10 Ring Oct 30, 2011

4. Discussed in detail on the SW forums. It has been done with 940 cylinders into other Js that would fit it.
  5. BillJ

I've owned a 940. The recoil is less, but is for lack of a better term more "snappy" or "quicker". I don't think 90% of people would notice the difference in a small steel J frame. Maybe on the 642 because of the alloy you'd notice it a tad more.

Once you step up to the 547 vs model 10 its completely noticeable.

The only reason to go to 9mm in a revolver is to take advantage of moon clips, for quick reloads. Other then that the 38 spl will do anything a 9mm will do.
  6. My friend owned a 940. It was fun to shoot knowing it was a 9mm, but it's pretty pointless IMO.
  7. I had a S&W armorer/local smith order me a Model 940 cylinder. I fitted it up to a Model 637. It works fine either way. Most of my shooting with it is done with reduced power 9mm handloads; if carried for defensive use it's got 115 grain +P ammo aboard.

No idea if Model 940 cylinders are still available from the factory, cobbled mine together over 10 years ago. By the way that cylinder was oversized in a couple dimensions; I was able to (very carefully) fit it up myself but your mileage may vary as the saying goes.
    #6 Brian Dover, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  8. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

I think the point is that an officer with a 9mm service pistol could carry a 940 (or the like) as a BUG and use his 9mm pistol magazines to feed reload rounds, if neccessary, giving him a revolver, as a BUG, as opposed to another semi, but maintaining the same caliber.
    If a wheel gun doesn't fire, in a gut close encounter, where your off hand is occupied, simply pulling the trigger, will access a new round, where a pistold would require racking of the slide.
    My 2¢.