close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone Carried in a Post Office?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DaBurna, Oct 11, 2012.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney
    Expand Collapse

Don't you agree that it would be very stupid to stop the car, take the gun off the belt in plain view, place it in the trunk, walk in the post office for thirty second and ten feet, open the box, and then walk out, open the trunk, grab the gun, reholster without shooting yourself etc? :whistling: Wouldn't it be smarter to leave the darn thing in the holster, walk in ten feet, grab your mail and walk out? :faint:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

What is your take on this?

3. Dragoon44

Dragoon44
    Expand Collapse
    Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

One thing being over looked here.

No state, county, or city LEO has any jurisdiction on federal property. UNLESS there is some kind of arrangement between the PO and an agency or the Post master requests assistance. or makes an arrangement with the agency beforehand.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

SHHHHHH! It's fun to watch the gyrations :)

5. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo
    Expand Collapse
    Amsterdam Haze

My post office is in a privately owned strip mall. The USPS is just another tenant.

6. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Good point, however, that would only make a difference in the parking lot and the sidewalks. Once you cross the threshold of the USPS leased space, you are inside a USPS property by virtue of their leasehold rights.

7. TK-421

TK-421
    Expand Collapse

Thankfully I already buy my postage for packages online, since it's a bit cheaper. Looks like I'll be arranging pickup for my packages too, since they won't let me carry inside of a post office. But I would like to see a set definition of "official business".

8. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye
    Expand Collapse

If only I was a ninja.

Then non of this would matter.

Do ninjas get the tactical badges and sashes too?

9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44
    Expand Collapse
    Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

No, because there is no way to give them to them.

"Looked for they cannot be seen, felt for they cannot be touched."

:supergrin:

10. steveksux

steveksux
    Expand Collapse
    Massive Member

Am I following you correctly? It sounds like there IS no official local LEO business that can be conducted in the Post Office due to jurisdiction (absent agreements with the local agencies).

If that's the case, then the "official" business clause would seem to apply to "official business" regarding what's done at the post office, i.e. buying stamps vs the other interpretation "LEO on official business" at the PO.

I had always thought the "official business" clause referred to LEO in uniform performing official duties.

Randy

#70 steveksux, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  11. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Six days a week, CCW G17 here in VT.

12. TK-421

TK-421
    Expand Collapse

My guess is that it'd be treated like private property, the local LEOs are not allowed in the post office for official duty unless they're invited in.

My advice would be to call up your local police station, using the non-emergency number, and ask them. I'm sure they'll be the ones that will be able to give you a definitive answer, since they're the ones you'd be dealing with if you get in trouble for carrying in a post office.

But if you consider a post office to be federal property, then I'd call your local FBI office, either instead of, or along with your local police station. Because if it's federal land, and you get in trouble, then you'd most likely be dealing with the FBI.

Either way, we're not going to be too much help here, since we're not going to be the ones you have to deal with if you get in trouble for carrying in a post office.

13. Dragoon44

Dragoon44
    Expand Collapse
    Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

The rule does not say for official business it says for official purposes. LEO's are armed for official purposes (Not personal ones.)

14. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

Actually the question might be better asked of either the US Postal Inspection Service or the US Postal Police rather then the FBI.

And in a huge, perhaps majority of situations, local LEOs absolutely do not need an invitation to enforce laws on private property. In fact one of the laws that is sporadically enforced on private property in this state is Obstruction of Justice FSS 843, which well more than once, has found someone seated handcuffed in the back of a Criwn Vic or Monaco or a couple models in between (and possibly before) when they mistakenly thought they could deny the police entry.

But I digress from the topic at hand.

Here is a good treatise on jurisdiction on federal property.

http://www.fletc.gov/training/progr...isdiction-on-federal-property-transcript.html

And with due respect to Ms. Solari and Mr. Perry it seems in practice at least sometimes the Postal Service allows concurrent jurisdiction.

15. sirgarreth

sirgarreth
    Expand Collapse

The post office is a private business, BUT it follows fedral regulations and federal laws. It is considered a federal building.Because of that, it has to follow federal rules. Unless you are LEO you are not allowed to carry in any PO. If its in a mall, you are fine until you step through the door of the PO. If anyone wants to carry in a PO, you go right ahead. I certainly will not. By the way, my uncle was a regional district manager for over 30 yearsand several other family members also work at other facilites. I might have a little insight.

16. TK-421

TK-421
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, should've clarified more. When I said private property, I wasn't thinking home private property. My uncle owns a boat repair shop on land that is owned by the Marina, and they own a huge chunk of land, with a nice road going through it. And apparently the cops won't go down in that area unless they're invited in. Don't know why, maybe it's the only private place where cops won't go, but that's the kind of thing I meant when I said private property.

17. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

Should we be permitted to carry there? Yes.

Are we? No.

Have I ever? No.

Will I ever? Not until it's legal for me to do so.

:wavey:

18. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney
    Expand Collapse

I have never heard of anyone being charged with carrying a firearm on postal property except the one employee. I think employees are told to not carry because they may go "postal". :whistling: It really is a crazy rule and i am sure it is broken daily by many people.