Glock Talk banner

Anyone been packing heavier lately?

14K views 93 replies 72 participants last post by  Firefightermdc 
#1 ·
or considering it at least? What are you carrying or considering?

My typical load-out is a 1911 and 2 spare mags, which totals 25 rounds of 10MM or .45ACP. Lately I've been thinking about resurrecting an older G20, having the grip shaped at a 1911 angle and putting some new night sights on it. Maybe get a more concealable holster for it too.

With 2 mags my round count goes from 25 to 46. I'm probably more likely to get struck by lighting than face and active shooter scenario like we've been seeing, but I've been thinking that having a heavy load-out sorted out ahead of time for dicier situations may not be a bad idea.

#3 · (Edited)
Don't overthink it. 25 rounds is going to be plenty, as long as you're as proficient as possible. HOWEVER, I have read of shootings where the good guy ran a 7 or 8 shot 1911 dry and the fight wasn't over. I like at least 12 in the mag, with one spare mag. The 1911 is a classic but for the size and weight for it to only hold 8ish? Meh.

#4 ·
I considered carrying my G22 concealed more often but under just a t-shirt it prints too much for my liking. I don't really feel that much more outgunned carrying my Springfield XDm 3.8c

#5 · (Edited)
I'm probably more likely to get struck by lighting than face and active shooter scenario like we've been seeing,
A. That is literally true - far more people get struck by lightning.

B. "like we've been seeing"? There isn't a trend and I really don't get why anybody acts like there is, every time one of these things happens. There was a crazy shooter with a gun - so the world now has one less craxy shooter. Get a grip.

I have been carrying a bigger gun because it's christmas, the high robbery season, and I've been going to place where danger is more liekly. Other than that, nothing special is going on.

#6 ·
Anyone packing heavier lately or considering it at least? What are you carrying or considering?
This time of year, I can easily conceal my G20 and carry it almost exclusively. But like Bren says, I don't consider any one crazy shooter a trend, so it has nothing to do with that. Paranoia will destroy ya. Carry what you are best with and be prepared in your training. In the end, that is what is going to save you when the SHTF.

#7 ·
Nah. I'm sticking with my CM9 and a spare mag with another in the truck. Being that I rarely go to any place any shooter would target (mall, walmart, etc), I carry more for the case of car jacking or robbery at a gas station. And I feel perfectly fine with a single stack 9 full of 124gr +p Gold Dots that I'm pretty proficient with. Plus I don't have to change guns according to dress, I only have to decide on either a pocket or IWB holster.

#8 ·
All I have ever carried is a full size 1911 in .45 acp. My bug is a .357 magnum on my ankle. I feel pretty heavy already.

#9 ·
At the moment I'm carrying a heavier gun - a CZ Shadow, which weighs about 3 lbs, but with just an 18 round magazine.

#11 · (Edited)
Nah, I have my Kimber CDP II with three, 8 rnd magazines with a couple more spare mags in my truck.
Same as I always carry.

#16 ·
Always my G30. Ten+1 of rangers on board with an extra 10 rounds on my weak side. 21 rounds readily available with a gun that has not misfired since day 1. Think I'm good.

#19 ·
Mostly my Kahr PM9 IWB due to comfort, but find myself carrying the HK P2000SK .40 LEM more regularly as well. Both are amazing guns, but I think those HK fans are on to something!

#21 ·
Not a chance, way too much weight. A .45 round weighs approx. 1 oz. You start with a heavy gun then add another gun+ with all that ammo.

I'll stick with my 13+1 G23 or even the 10+1 G26 if I really want to go light.

#23 ·
I actually went down in weight and round count. My former EDC was. Sig P229 with a 17 round mag and one spare 15 rd mag. But I wanted something lighter so I now carry a G19 with one spare mag. Until I can find some 17 round mags I am 2 rounds down.

I do love the fact that the 19 weighs less loaded than the 229 did empty as that really helps my back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.