close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anybody use Blue Dot reloading .45ACP?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mnhogrider, Sep 26, 2011.

1. mnhogrider

mnhogrider

Sep 10, 2007
    Minnesota
    I use BD in .357 magnum, .44 magnum, 10mm and 9mm. I'm a little long on my supply of BD. I was reloading .45 ACP this weekend and I was thinking of giving it a try just to change it up. I could only find loads listed in two reference guides for 230 gr. FMJ : My Lee book listed 8.5 gr. BD as both the starting and max load. The Alliant guide shows 8.5 gr. as max with a starting load at 10% less.

I didn't use any. Instead I fell back to my old reliable 5 gr. of Bullseye.

I know it's probably not an ideal powder for .45.

Anybody use it? How's it run?

2. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    BD will run in the 45acp but I find it best for top end loads. I have run some 185grXTP around the 1050fps mark w/ good results. Look into the Speer #14 for more data.

3. dougader

dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah, run it max and it runs pretty good. I used to load 200 grain Speer "flying ashtrays" with 10.5 grains of BD for about 1000 fps from a 4" 1911. I strongly recommend against the use of magnum primers. I use Federal 150's.

If you're just plinking, BE is a great powder. I use 231 and Universal for that.