close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody running Windows 7 yet?....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by woodz, Mar 19, 2010.

1. woodz

woodz Glock Newbie

Mar 18, 2010
    Florida
    ...just curious about how stable it is and if it is as stable as XP....:popcorn:

2. I'm installing 7 in a virtual machine as we speak, just to start getting used to it (and to find ways to get rid of all the fuzzy icons and menus). The real computer will keep running XP for a few more years.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I put it in Vbox last week.. Runs well. I never tried Vista... XP also ran really well.

IGF

4. Remember the disaster called Windows Millenium? Same thing, just needs a 10 times faster computer. :supergrin:

The best OS Microsoft has made so far, in my humble opinion. Too bad they have to get rid of it to sell us something new.

5. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

<----has major experience with Windows XP.

Experience with Vista 64 bit.

Limited experience with Windows 7 64 bit.

I think Windows 7 does have potential as a Windows OS. It does not repeat some of the transgressions/sins of Vista.

ymmv

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Geez... Windows ME... what a disaster.

XP was, and is.. actually pretty good. I'm not really sure why they are doing away with it. Just keep updating it, etc.. Its solid, stable for the most part(barring retarded users)... I just don't really see what 7 offers, that XP couldn't have offered w/ some updates(think XP SE)

IGF

7. Mak Maven

Mak Maven Lifetime Member

Win 7 = XP on steroids.
    Been running it on 3 computers before release date
    No problems, most stable yet.

8. I've been running since they released it to Technet Users. It's decent OS that doesn't require a Dual Core and 4GB of RAM to run decently. It's stable, easy to use and works.

For the same reason they released Linux Kernel 2.6 when 2.4 was working fine. There was some modern stuff they wanted to do and old code was holding them back.

9. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Going on two months with it in a two year old Dell XPS 760 that was originally an XP machine.

Bought a small hard drive put 7 on it and made the original HD the second drive. Had to buy a new printer due to lack of proper drivers. Took a while to get the sound card running, but now everything is up.

Has been very stable. Some nice manipulation upgrades, not any real negatives so far.

Running 64 bit version on 5 gigs ram.

All in all very nice platform. Glad I managed to avoid Vista totally.

10. ancienthacker

ancienthacker

Apr 25, 2009
    I have it on a netbook at home and on a recent desktop at work. Stable, fast, plays well in a Windows domain. If I can find decent upgrade pricing I'll upgrade all the machines at home.

11. Been running 7 for quite a long time - 9 months, maybe? It's extremely stable and very fast.

It is a very worthy and worthwhile upgrade from XP - it's just a lot more modern overall. Things like connecting new devices; printers, etc. is easier & faster. Connecting to wireless networks is much faster & smoother.

People who are still stuck on XP just haven't given 7 a real good try.

Try it out and you'll like it.

12. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Yes it is very stable, if you liked XP you will love 7 BUT don't upgrade to 7 do a clean install.

13. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

Oct 6, 2005
    michigan
    the only way to go from xp to 7 is to do a clean install, there is no upgrade path.

14. RDW

RDW BTDT

Mar 12, 2003
    PRK
    Upgraded from VISTA 64 to Win 7 64. Except for the interface (learning curve) I don't see much of a difference. NEVER had a problem with VISTA.

15. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

May 13, 2007
    S.E. Pa
    Been running 7 for a couple of months now. No problems at all.

16. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes yes clean install is the way to go. I forgot to mention that.

17. RDW

RDW BTDT

Mar 12, 2003
    PRK
    Why? I installed over VISTA, and don't "think" I have any issues!?

18. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

Oct 6, 2005
    michigan
    I've had the same experience going from vista x64 to 7 x64, no problem since i did the upgrade back in november. Although, I didn't have any issues with vista on that machine to begin with.

I also upgraded my laptop from xp to 7 x86 (it's a 64bit amd processor, but x64 drivers are severely lacking for the old hardware in it) about that same time. The laptop does just as well as xp did, if not a bit faster even.

19. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  20. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

Jan 23, 2000
    My brother gave me a new Dell computer with Windows 7 (64 bit).

The File and Settings Transfer Wizard won't run at all and there are 2 updates that have been downloaded but which do not install properly.

My Microsoft keyboard, 2 Microsoft game controllers, my Intel web-cam, etc. are not compatible. I have no doubt that I'll find more incompatible software as well.

I just had to order a video card and 1 gig of RAM in order to play Borderlands because the on-board video/audio share the 3 gigs of RAM that it has (Borderlands requires a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM).

I wish I had kept my old computer with XP Pro on it. No issues. It was setup just the way I liked it and everything was where it is "supposed" to be (for an old guy like me, anyway).