close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody quit watching TV completely?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hamguy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Hamguy

Hamguy

Man, I am just done watching the tube. It's mostly crap anyway. But it's the TIME wasted. Imagine what I can do with an extra 20-25 hours per week.

Plus the cable rate (just the HD package, no premiums) keeps going up. I'm paying $40/month plus an $8.95/month "digital equipment fee" AND I have high speed internet for another $60/month. After taxes and fees, my cable bill is almost $120/month. Not anymore. I'm returning the box to my cable company tomorrow and telling them "turn it OFF!".

2. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

When I was paying my wife through graduate school we didn't have cable or internet for two years.

I could get wifi on my porch if I needed to do something on the internet. We rented alot of movies and spent alot more time playing cards, talking, and um...you get the picture.

I agree TV is mostly junk, and the reality TV ship needs to sail. Its getting old. I now have a dish and DVR a few shows a week, but I dont watch much.

3. bchandler

bchandler

Kind of. I cut cable and use Netflix streaming exclusively now. Most content is HD, it's ad free, and I've never failed to find something to watch. They have tons of TV series, so if you start up a new one you'll have plenty of entertainment on tap for a while.

Best part is it's only $9 a month!

Most of my friends in my generation (mid-late 20s) have done the same. I only know one other person my age who has cable.

4. smokin762

smokin762

I like to watch the local News, Warehouse 13, The Walking Dead and the Big Bang Theory. That’s about it. I am not interested in most T.V. shows.

5. 2bgop

2bgop

I am trying to limit myself to no more than 4 TVs going at once. That count for anything?

6. Gareth68

Gareth68

I watch football. The rest of the year the TV stays off unless I rent a movie.

7. tog

tog

local news sucks
    national news sucks
    network tv sucks

sports stuff is good--can see some people compete at least
    maybe some car stuff as background noise at times

but mostly I can access whatever I want to see online

8. azbuckeye

azbuckeye

I watch very little TV anymore.....no cable, won't pay the $$$ and the networks just irritate the $%&@ out of me.

Just spent a few days with the inlaws, 100+ channels and couldn't find anything worth watching. Mother-in-law asked us to watch Honey Boo Boo with her and it cemented my belief that the TV is a worthless piece of furniture that I can do without.

9. Vince49

Vince49 Aeroscout

About eight years ago. Why do you ask,have I missed something?

10. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

I have done it before. When I turned 18 I moved out of the parents home and couldn't afford internet so I lived without it for 1 year. I maybe got on for a total of 1 hour for that whole year.
    Then 1 year ago I went on vacation in Europe for 2 months. No cable for those 2 months and didn't feel like I was missing anything. Granted I was exploring multiple countries at the time so no time for tv. I did have internet though to keep up to date on news.

11. JW1178

JW1178

No cable here, not even a TV in the house. Funny thing is TV is one of those things you can't imagine not having and you can't imagine how life was before TV, then you go without it for a while and feel kind of relieved. I really don't even want it, but I admit I enjoy it and miss it at times.

I do watch what I want via the internet.

12. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i don't watch much TV:
    Worlds Dumbset
    COPS
    NHRA Drag Racing
    History
    Military

I'd guess it'd work out to 4-5 hours a week.

13. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

I get cable service every fall, and cut that **** off after the Super Bowl. Netflix and the internet takes care of everything else my Bravia needs.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  14. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

*** No...Not at all....because I can... enjoy it and work for it...Got to have my "favorite" news and "special" shows..which in turn frees up my computer for `other` endeavours....enjoying all I can before Dire times `get worse`...`

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  15. boone10

boone10 Glockeologist

Almost done--even my young kids don't watch a lot. It'll be the first to go if money gets tight.

16. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

I canceled my cable not even a week ago. My new BluRay doubles as a streaming device, so I signed up for Netflix and Amazon Prime. Good stuff. :supergrin:

17. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

No cable, and streaming Netflix isn't available this far out in the sticks. I get my Netflix through the mail. DVDs are the only thing we watch on the tv. The kids are limited to one hour per day (one child chooses the DVD MWF, and other chooses on TThSa, and no tv on Sun unless Mr.C picks something for all of them to watch). We Netlfix MMA fights (I think I'm up to UFC#70 now - it takes a week or two to get through one disk, cause we never watch more than 3 fights in a night, and none on many nights) and I'll probably get the current season of The Mentalist eventually. The only other thing we order with any regularity are old b&w movies - the Thin Man ones are the current faves.

I'm not missing anything. I can't believe some of the conversations I hear in the docs office, though - all about the silly tv. and sparkly vampires? and ADULTS care about this? Sheesh.

18. ignantmike

ignantmike

i couldnt do it......sportsmen channel.....ncis,criminal minds,walking dead,blue bloods.....etc. i like these shows...but, they can keep there reality shows....except turtle man:rofl:

19. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

No cable or dish or local tv. If I want to watch something I stream netflix or hulu.

Edit to add: iTunes, Crackle, Amazon, etc, too.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  20. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

FoxNews and the NFL are the only reason to have TV, IMO.