close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anybody own a Henry lever-action?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by mr00jimbo, May 12, 2012.

1. I love my CZ 452 .22LR "Mannlicher" full stock gun, manual cycling .22 rifles are fun.

I had my eye on a Henry lever action .22LR, notably the Golden Boy with brass receiver and octagon barrel.

Wanted to know your experience with Henry lever rifles, both centerfire an rimfire. They all seem to operate the same; tube magazine comes out a bit, load the rounds from the front, re-insert tube, fire and ejects out the side.

I think the Marlin system is more efficient, to just put a round or two or five through the side ejection port. Also, I don't want to go to the range and get reamed out for being "unsafe" for putting my hand near the muzzle when I take the mag tube out and load up the gun (especially since I think the action needs to be closed during this procedure).

I'd love to hear what people think of these rifles, especially the quality and front-loading design.

2. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle

Nov 27, 2011
    I have that exact rifle and really like it. I don't see any problems with the loading system as far as safety is concerned. I ordered the scope mount from Henry and put a Nikon ProStaff on mine, it's a lot of fun to shoot.
    [​IMG]

3. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    First of all, sorry you have to deal with ranges. Out here we shoot in the great outdoors.

I have a well worn lever action Henry .22 standard model. While it uses a pot-metal reciever and at first came with a plastic front sight and barrel band, the rifle is the smoothest action of any lever rimfire I have ever owned or shot. It is accurate, fun and always makes it out to the desert/woods for plinking fun!

henry has since upgraded the front sight and barrel band.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    I have the Henry Mare's Leg 22 and had the Henry 22 pump action. Good guns.

[​IMG]

5. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    I have 2 in .22LR. A Frontier model with a octagon barrel and a standard model with a round barrel. I also have the Mini Bolt in .22LR made by Henry. I am a big fan. Like posted before they have the smoothest action of any lever action I have ever shot. I have heard very little to no bad info about Henry. They are great rifle :)

6. I bought mine because it can shoot .22 shorts and CB caps, super quiet in my residential neighborhood, but still sufficient to knock of tree rats and unwanted cats.

Had mine 2 years now, and no issues at all.

7. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old SoulSoul

Aug 30, 2004
    Illinois
    I have the standard Henry .22 lever action.

That thing has seen thousands upon thousands of rounds of the cheapest .22LR. That's no exageration. I probably shot a thousand dollars worth of little green army men with that thing starting about age 7 when my dad got it for me.

Never had an issue with it, and there's something satisfying about working the lever action.

8. I can shoot outdoors in the woods, too but when I go alone I just hit up the outdoor range or indoor for pistols.

I was a bit turned off to find out that the receiver of the Henry golden boy was a kind of "pot metal" zinc alloy brass plated...I would prefer it to be fully brass.
    My 452's receiver is high quality steel. I know .22s don't need a lot of bulk on the receiver, but it's still nice to know that the major parts of a gun are a high strength metal.

9. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    They are plenty strong 'as is' and have a great reputation. And besides the rifles would not be so affordably priced if they were all brass! There are other options for brass lever rifles.

10. JBL13

JBL13

Oct 24, 2010
    Northern Utah
    I recently sold a Golden Boy I'd owned for eight or nine years. Accurate, high-quality gun. Never missed a beat, and the action was super smooth.

The reason I sold it is I bought a Henry Youth model to toss in the truck. I didn't want the Golden Boy to get banged up, and the Youth model is lighter in the event I decide to hike with it.

11. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    IIRC, the receiver cover plates are the zinc crap, the internals are the same as other .22 rifles. I really like mine too, BTW.

12. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    Haven't owned 1 yet but I think my next Rifle will the Frontier model in .22 mag.Very smooth action and made in the USA.

13. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    The receivers are not pot metal zinc alloy brass plated.
    The receiver is steel & INSIDE the outer receiver cover.
    What you see on the outside is just a removable cover, you can't see the actual receiver.
    Denis

14. pmwglock19

pmwglock19

Oct 10, 2008
    I have a H001 standard Henry and it is a very smooth and fun to shoot rifle. I would buy another one without question.

15. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Jul 19, 2004
    Oregon
    I have the golden boy .22 LA....its a pleasure to shoot and has the smoothest LA I've ever seen. I wish I had gotten the .22 magnum though.

16. Four Knives

Four Knives

Dec 25, 2009

Be advised, Marlin rimfire lever actions are tube loaded as well - their centerfire rifles have the side loading gate.

17. thisaway

thisaway Moderator

Jan 11, 2000
    Soddy Daisy, Tenn.
    I have one of the standard .22 Henrys, and I love it! I just yesterday fired in the Cowboy Silhouette match hosted by the Chatuge Rifle Club in Hiawassee, Georgia. I took 3rd Place in the Rimfire with my Henry, and the Second Place shooter used one also.

They are an excellent value for the money!

18. The next rifle I buy will be a Herny Octagon barrel Frontier Model. Herny's have the smoothest action I've seen.

19. Just1More

Just1More

Mar 18, 2009
    I have the Frontier model with an octagon barrel. Love it!

[​IMG][/IMG]

20. JayAK

JayAK

Dec 28, 2003