close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody Kill Anything Yet?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gonzoso, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

YW, it rings true IMO.

Hunting yet?

ETA: Never mind, I forgot, you can hunt 12 months a year where you live. :whistling:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. bubba803

bubba803

EHD, not chronic wasting.

3. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

For moose in CO, the straight line preference points is limited to 3 points, with "weighted points" accumulating thereafter. Not clear how it works but it gives applicants with fewer points a chance at the draw (and so the state can continue bringing in application revenue). I have 3 pref points and 10 weighted points.

After such a long term investment in applying, I'm only interested in a bull tag and those are harder to get. I just hope I get a chance before they put me in a nursing home.

4. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

13 years?!?! It would have been cheaper, in hindsight of course, to crack one as a non-res in another State by now.

I'll say a pray for you/your next hunt pick.

Will you lose the points if you stop applying? If not, stop, they have to let you bag one by now.

5. finz50

finz50

It was awesome....don't know what was better, going up the climber and having it walk within 7 yards of my stand and not knowing i was there or the actual kill shot at 25 yards vs rifle range....I was jacked regardless!

6. Hamguy

Hamguy

I killed a spider in the bathtub this morning. Does that count?

7. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

My 4X2 looked OK to eat.
    I haven't archery hunted in 6 yrs. My rotators are shot and I couldn't pull back on even 60 lbs.
    A buddy has been on me to buy a crossbow and I was reluctant to spend as much on a crossbow as an AR.
    While in Mich. he got me to shoot one at a Cabelas. WOW I was impressed. The salesman asked how I liked it. I said "put it in a box".

Anyway I didn't get out the first Sat as I was still finding archery stuff from years gone by.
    I shot about 2 doz bolts at 20 to 40 and that damn thing was money.

I went out last Mon as it was a bit cool and foggy and saw a small buck about 30-35 and angling toward me. I was about 25 ft up. We need 3 points up on one side to be legal (disregarding the brow tine). I thought it was a forkhorn and then thought I saw another small point but just wasn't sure. He walked into a patch of sun and there was that 4th point, small but at an inch, made this guy legal. By that time, he was about 25 out and quartering away. I held a bit high and behind the shoulder a foot. The bolt went through and through exiting the neck just in front of the other shoulder. He reared up and fell on his side, scrambled up, ran down the hill about 40 yds crashing into stuff, then silence.

I went and collected my bolt. The spitfire 100's I took off my compound arrows opened up just like they were supposed to ( I took the 3 bladed ones and left the 2 bladed ones with the Golden Eagle).
    I found him about 40 yds away. The rack was just legal and the deer was small ( I would guess about 130 or so) but it was the first archery deer for me in 6 years.
    Mon AM is supposed to be cool again ( high 30's) so I'll be back out in the same tree. I have 3 more antlerless tags so hope to score again.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  8. cmb19

cmb19

I've been obsessing over getting out hunting for months now. I don't hunt archery, although I'm looking into buying a nice, cheap bow to see if I'd like it.

I went out coyote hunting once, hoping to go again Sunday. None came in, but we had them around us, plus a red fox.
    I can't wait for squirrel season, it's the most relaxing hunting ever, unfortunately my work schedule is going to screw me over a good bit this year.

I'm looking to spend a ton of money on hunting this year...I'm hoping to get a new rifle for deer season. I hate being poor. :crying:

9. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Too damn hot and too many mosquitoes. I just don't enjoy hunting in this weather. I'll fight the mosquitoes and heat for fishing, but not deer hunting, I don't know why. Probably just something in the back of my brain with the whole sweating stinking thing and deer smelling me, even though I've killed them in heat while hot and sweaty. I just don't enjoy it.

10. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

I just set out some ant traps tonight...

11. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

As far as arrow guns(crossbows) being a ton of money, they are new.

But they can be found easily if you're savvy. My Parker Terminator with a red dot site, 24 bolts, quiver, and case cost me 200$ from a guy on craigslist. Shoots great.

The crossbow doesn't really extend the archers range imo. I shoot my bow accurately enough to kill deer out to 50 yards, I only make shots on live deer at 40 though.

The crossbow will go out to 50, but I'd only take it to 40.

The stalk is still the same.

The final shot and kill is just more accurate and sure.

I've got my meat in the freezer now, so I'll be taking out the compound and recurve soon. My goal is to get one with the crossbow, one with the compound, and one with a recurve this year.

A mans gotta have goals!

12. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Most modern compounds have it all over most modern crossbows in range. I say most because there are a few exceptions like that PSE AR-15 rig and some of the Strykers. The PSE thing is way too long for practical hunting IMO. Not sure about the Strykers, but they're very expensive too.

13. cmb19

cmb19

I was going to say I'm sorry for bumping this thread but I'm too excited to care...I got my first coyote tonight!!! :supergrin:

14. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Nice! I saw a big 'yote yesterday, would have been a perfect shot if I wasn't in a Nat'l Park! Bastard was only about 150 yards away, didn't give a **** we were coming up on him!

[​IMG]

15. mike g35

mike g35

Here is an LOL story for you. One of my coworkers at Cabelas came in last week and asked me to go with him after work to help "blood trail and drag" a doe he made a bad hit in earlier in the day. We went our, tracked the deer and sure enough 100 or so yards away the deer was laying, unable to move yet still alive. He looks at me and says "I left my bow in the truck, what now?". I drew my knife and long story short SLICE and there goes the deers throat. I looked back as I waited a minute for the deer to expire and he was upset, tears in his eyes and looking kind of sick. So I told him "here, take my knife and field dress it". He then Informed me this was his first kill and he didn't know how. I told him I would help him and teach him how. Long story short he didn't make it through it, we'll his lunch didn't anyway. A gut shot deer field dressing job does stink quite a bit but watching this "hunter" puke and cry just struck me as hilarious.LOL :rofl:
    Some people just aren't prepared for what happens after the shot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Tvov

Tvov

Son and I have been up a couple times to Vermont for bear, but haven't gotten anything yet. Will be trying again in two weeks. There is a lot of bear sign where we hunt, but we are very new at hunting, so the bears are probably watching us the whole time.... On opening day of bear season, we walked into the woods, set up to sit, and shortly thereafter heard a shot from not too far away. I was betting we had pushed a bear into another hunter!

17. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Some folks aren't used to it, I think for most of us we started small. The first thing I gutted was a squirrel. Not too big of a deal, then I did trout and bass and birds, soon enough I was gutting deer when I shot my first at 16.

The ones with a hole in the gut sure smell bad.

This year something happened where I punctured the gut. When I shot the deer had just seen/winded me so it was alert, I think it might have jumped the string and turned a bit as when I fired it was perfectly sideways. I hit the vitals:
    [​IMG]
    But the arrow went back and put a hole in the gut. It smelled terrible. Deer never smelled that bad to me before.

Even a good shot can get weird sometimes.

18. cmb19

cmb19

Mine was just a little one, my brother thought probably 25lbs. Definitely a pup from this year. We heard a bunch more but they were really far away. Can't wait for next time...hopefully I've convinced my brother to go every Sunday and every other possible day. :supergrin:

19. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Had a TON of pups out on the ranch this year, got a few of 'em with my .22. Had to run up on 'em on the ATVs to go in .22 range, then try to stop, take a few shots, and move on to the next one. Never done anything like it before, was pretty fun, and we got rid of some of the little pests.

20. KingWalleye

KingWalleye

Shot a doe with my bow last Tuesday. Its nice vetting one early in the season. No pressure for the rest of the long season.