Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Anybody hunt with an AR-10 in .308?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by GreenDrake, Jun 20, 2011.

1. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Apr 22, 2007
    North Idaho
    Thinking I might invest in one as a dual purpose weapon. For hunting elk and deer, as well as zombies. LOL. Seriously though, anyone hunt with one? I like the optics ready Bushmaster.
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    A friend uses one in Georgia.

3. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    I live in Georgia and have used an Armalite AR10 a little on the heavy side but it worked used an old Leupold 3x9 good combo.
    BTW the bushmaster is a DPMS....
  4. 93GT

93GT The Ogre

Jul 6, 2002
    It is fine for stationary hunting, I find it a bit heavy and difficult to maneuver for moving consistently though. I usually opt for the light bolt action.
  5. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Yes, I used an Armalite AR-10 in .308 for still hunting deer for 2 seasons, partly so I could say I had done it. Idiot game warden wanted to ticket me for hunting with a "machine gun." I have since converted it to .260 and added a Carbon Arms Carbon Feather hanguard to shave some weight. I now use it primarily for long range competition and deer and antelope from a stationary position. I have a deer at 100 yards increments from 100 to 1000 yards excpet 600, will try to get that this year.
  6. i favor the m1a, which is a big heavy rifle, but its not too bad. ive been looking to add an AR10 as well. should be a pretty good all around gun, including hunting.
  7. Minnow

Jan 13, 2006
    It can be done and I've done it with my FAL.
    If your are going to be packing it all the time for every hunt for considerable distances, I advise something else. Otherwise, I say go for it. If you aren't sold on 308 yet, check into the 6.8SPC. 6.8 keeps the weight down with 5.56 guns and gives you the punch you need on deer class critters out to as far as most people can shoot. It can take Elk as well. If your interested, head over to 68forums and snoop around for a while. If you handload, 6.5 grendel is a similar option as well.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  8. PromptCritical

PromptCritical AgentOfEntropy

Oct 25, 2002
    The Beaver State
    I hunted with this last season:

No pesky game guys came around to give me crap.

Eagle Arms (Armalite) upper and lower.
    18" medium contour barrel threaded by Tornado Technologies
    Armalite 2-stage tactical trigger
    Viking Tactics / JP Rifles handguard
    Magpul grip and PRS stock
    Leupold Mk 2 4-12x40 scope
    Yankee Hill Phantom 7.62 QD suppressor

Yeah, it's heavy.

And for the purists, if it isn't Armalite, it isn't an AR-10.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    You're allowed to hunt with a suppressor?

Color me jealous.
  10. G27RR

Oct 11, 2010
    I've used mine a few times. It has a 1.5-5x30 scope for hunting so it's easier to acquire the target. When shooting longer ranges (not hunting) I switch to a higher magnification scope.

11. PromptCritical

PromptCritical AgentOfEntropy

Oct 25, 2002
    The Beaver State
    Suppressors aren't mentioned anywhere in the hunting regs.
  12. i specifically asked my wildlife agency and got a response that suppressors dont matter and the shortest barrel length allowed is 4"

thats when i was trying to decide if a 300aac sbr build would be legal to hunt with.
  13. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

They are in ours, for no real reason they're illegal.