Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Anybody have experience loading Zero bullets?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by headblade, Jun 21, 2010.

1. headblade

headblade TriggerHappy

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Utah
    I have a bunch of 180gr Zero TCFM (jacketed) for 10mm and was wondering if I should load them according to the Hornady XTP ,Speer, or Ranier specs since there is no load data for small time Zero Company in the Accurate Arms load data sheet (I use AA#7). Any info would be great.
  2. orgnova

Feb 13, 2010
    SW Ohio
    I use their 45acp 230gr, 40s&w 180gr and 9mm 115gr jacketed with no problems. I do the 40s&w 180gr with 5.5gr unique with great results.

3. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Rainier are plated, not jacketed and should generally use or at least start with lead/cast data. Use data for a similar weight/design/profile FMJ bullet. Speer data should be fine. As always start low and work up with a chrono in YOUR gun.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  4. FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    I've been using Zero metal jacketed in my 9 and 40 (180 gr) with good success. I don't load too hot and use load data for FMJs. Powders used have been Unique, AA5 and BE for the 9 and Unique and PP for the 40. I haven't loaded them for my 10, yet, but wouldn't hesitate to use them.
  5. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Use jacketed data for similar weight bullet. Start at the start charge and work up to meet your goal or until you reach maximum.
  6. RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    Use jacketed data, they are jacketed bullets. I have shot a lot of Zero bullets, I think they are a good bullet. I also use jacketed data for Berry's and Rainier plated bullets. That's where they shoot best for me.
  7. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Zero's bullets are true jacketed bullets. Use load recipes for similar weight jacketed bullets. You may have some bullet length variance between Zero and other manufacturer's bullets with the same weight due to differing designs. This should dictate that you start at a minimum charge and work up, as stated above by freak. I would suggest you begin with the maximum COL you can get by with, and reduce COL as needed as you progress thru your development stage.
  8. Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    I have loaded wheelbarrow loads of Zero .357 bullets in .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum loads. The on target results have been gratifying. The consequences for live targets from small to medium game have been extreme. I have not loaded them in 10mm, but that is only because I do not currently own a 10mm pistol. In every caliber I have ever loaded for, Zero bullets have given very good results. If I were loading them in 10mm, as with any other reloading program, I'd pick a starting load and work up with attention to accuracy and pressure indications, etc. JMHO.
  9. headblade

headblade TriggerHappy

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Utah
    Awesome. Thanks for the replies y'll:cool:
  10. plus one. same things that i have seen. i have used many and i like them.
  11. I like them for the .38Super because they have a true .356" diameter. The 135gr FMJs are very accurate, even at modest practice velocities.

A couple of years back a group of us were out for a typical Saturday morning shoot. There was a torso size target, determined to be at 160 yards and uphill. An AK guy began shooting at the target, and I did the same thing with a Para 1911; I had no idea as where the 135gr FMJs were hitting, just shot to the same aimpoint.

When the AK/Para competition was over, score one hit, very low right, out of 30 rounds for the AK. Score 6 out of 10 for the 135 FMJ in the liver area.

Another time while walking to my shooting range out back to chronograph some .38Super, ZERO .356/121gr JHPs, I was charged by 4 legged vermin; instant incapacition shot, through a rather thick skull (oblique angle) at very close range. I typically carry either 124gr/125gr XTPs, depending on MV, for these kinds of situations, but the Zero 121gr JHP saved me from getting seriously chewed up.

I order Zero bullets from Powder Valley,

but they sell out quickly and there is a 4 week to 6 week backlog at Zero's retail distribution website.

You can typically find good JHP loading data, in addition to your handloading manuals at:

and Steve's Reloading Data Pages, set-up for specific caliber/bullet weight;

Bob :cowboy: :supergrin: