close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anybody ever touched off a round inside?

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by OregonG20, Nov 28, 2011.

1. OregonG20

OregonG20

Sep 5, 2011
    Oregon
    Without hearing protection? With all the other scenarios people train for when it comes to self defense, I wondered how many people realize how loud a 10mm round is when it goes off in a living room.

I know not everybody lives in an environment where they can shoot out their back door without any danger, but I was curious if anybody has.

2. cigarman454

cigarman454

Feb 5, 2011
    Indiana
    I have a friend who owns a pawn shop and had a shootout with some robbers. He said he couldn't hardly hear or recognize voices for 3 weeks. He was shooting a 45 never asked what the other guys were shooting. I don't recommend trying it.

3. TRaGiK

TRaGiK

Mar 17, 2003
    nc
    Never tried it with a 10, but have done so with 9mm, .38 special (snubby....LOUD), .22 rimfire, and .223 (extra loud!).

Don't recomend doing it very often, or at all, and certainly not more than one shot if you're that curious. The times I've done it, my ears would ring for an hour or so.

With that said, on a negligent discharge I had 10 years ago, I barely remember hearing the bang, and my ears never rang a bit. It was with a 9mm.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. Seraph1926

Seraph1926

Sep 14, 2011
    in an actual shooting, you're not going to notice your hearing until later.

5. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    I did that all the times. It's called in-door range. That's the only place where old guys don't wear their hearing aids.

WHAT?

6. OregonG20

OregonG20

Sep 5, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh, I've already done it. :wow: It was pretty loud. It was only one shot, and I can't imagine what a full fledged shootout would be like. I live in an area where I can shoot out the back door with out any problems, and I was curious as to what it would really be like.

A lot of self defense guys train for every possible scenario, but I was curious as to whether or not the loud sound would have any disorienting effects. I would say it doesn't, but again, I only fired one round.

I also like how nobody in any movie or show ever seems to complain about their ears ringing...lol.

7. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    You do well already by thinking about scenarios. The best thing is to continually "acclimate" yourself to it. Practice often. Shoot one hand. Learn how to load mags one hand, right and left. Use your nose, because most of the time, BG smells bad. :rofl:

Realistically, ear plugs are under $2 at Walmart. Have them in different places in the home and cars.

8. LOUD. If you're shooting out the door, much of the pressure will go right out. In a closed building like a range, you can feel the pressure.

9. I tried several times w. my 9mm SD ammo (147gr/1180fps), but only 2 or 3 shots at a time at open range, just to imagine how loud it is if ever happens to shoot in SD. If I'd have to defend myself indoor it sure would damage my hearing but well known SD expert here on GT says:
    "Better deaf than dead. In grave you won't hear anything."
    Once I tried my 10mm 200gr/1250 round. I was planing to shoot 4 hunting rounds on "wild boar scene" but just 1 shot was waaay enough :shocked:
    I put my Peltors back then and finished the rest of cardboard boars.

I read somewhere that if you open your mouth when shooting without hearing protection it helps somehow because sound pressure comes to Tympanic Membrane from both sides (Auditory Canal and Eustachian Tube). With almost equal pressure on each side there's less possibility of damage.
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/different-parts-of-the-human-ear.html

Anyway, I doubt I will remember to open mouth in high-stress situation. But who knows?

10. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    there are thousands of self defense shootings each year where the home owner touched off one or more shots inside their own house......they'd be the ones to ask.

you body shuts down many things under stress. fine motor skills are one (comp I or II loaders help if youre a revolver fan), vision is another, and hearing is yet again another.

iv stood behind somebody sighting in their 30-06 outside in the open, one shot and i had to put my finders in my ears......but when im drawing a bead on a deer or pig and touch one off i hardly notice the sound.

adrenaline is the bodies defense against many things.

11. RRrider

RRrider

Nov 25, 2011
    Michigan
    I've been 5 feet away w/o hearing protection in a living room when one was popped off.

was a .40 cal.

I was hearing every fine, like normal. I didn't hear the pop. All of a sudden I couldn't hear anything except ringing in my ears. took about a min and a half to get hearing back, took a few hours for the ringing to go away.

12. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    what about the kids in the classroom where the professional DEA guy shot himself in the foot? can they still hear o.k.?

13. Never fired of a 10mm indoors, but a few 357's. Too drunk to recall how loud it was though:)

14. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Never have done it myself. However 10mm must be loud. In some IDPA stages that have walled partitions, it can be really loud - even with hearing protection. That is especially true with Blue Dot.

15. ScaryPerryDawsy

ScaryPerryDawsy

Oct 21, 2010
    Had a ND 20 or so years ago with a 12ga. The round was a magnum slug and it was damn loud! My ears rang for and hour or two, getting the smell out of my place was another story. :embarassed:

16. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    Short barrels are loud. So I put an extended on my G29, but every time I shoot my G26 stock I remember how loud and wild the short barrel is.

17. Pro 2A

Pro 2A

Aug 30, 2011
    Read 'On Combat' by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. It talks about what can happen in the adrenalin of a self-defense situation. It covers all the things varying levels of stress will cause within your body so you know what to expect and don't get freaked out by things like loss of vision, or hearing, or bowel control. It also covers what might happen after the event is over, like "memory loss", extreme fatigue or innability to sleep, flashbacks, etc.

You're not likely to hear the shot, just as hunters don't usually wear hearing protection, but don't have ringing ears after shooting something. It's a reaction of the body/brain to an expected loud sound under stress. Some people even find they can hear certain things just fine, like the brass hitting the ground, but can barely hear the gun shots. The body is an amazing thing!

In otherwords, don't bother risking your hearing to practice for something you probably won't have an issue with. Especially when the practice can do more harm than good.

18. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    You mean you had to do laundry? :rofl:

19. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

Feb 4, 2011
    Hoover, AL
    That is true. However, you would need to do more than just open your mouth. Your eustachian tubes exit into your throat, and are usually closed even if your mouth is open. They have to stay closed, or your hearing would suffer due to pressure wave equalization on both sides of your ear drum. When you yawn, you open your throat wide, and it can open your eustachian tubes. That's why your ears sometimes pop when yawning, and why yawning helps pop your ears in an airplane. Yawning while shooting would likely be a better option! It would be like having a speaker or subwoofer in open air. If you have ever tried such a thing, it makes very little sound. That's because it creates sound waves on each side, which cancel each other out (for the most part). If you place the subwoofer in an enclosure or box, only the sound waves from one side are released into the air, creating sound. Your ear drum is like a reverse speaker. Instead of creating sound, it responds to sound. If it receives sound on one side, it vibrates. However, if the sound waves hit if from both sides (ear canal and eustachian tube), they would somewhat cancel each other out, reducing the ear drum's movement. That makes it sound quieter.

I've shot many rounds (outdoors) without hearing protection when younger. I don't remember it being bad. I have fired lots of shotgun rounds, some rifle rounds, and a good bit of pistol rounds without protection, but don't really remember it. The only time I remember was about 8 months ago. I was going to fire a magazine of .45ACP from my G21SF, then some 10mm from my G29. I fired ONE round out of the G21SF and stopped. It was like I just went deaf for a second, then my hearing came back and the ringing started. My right ear got the brunt of it, as I guess my head was cocked.

My left ear was fine the next day, but my right ear was crap for about 3 weeks. It rang for a few weeks, and any loud noises made a sloshy noise. It was annoying as hell. I will NEVER shoot without ear protection again. That one shot showed me that I will suffer later, but it was not especially startling or anything. At least to me, my hearing just cut out. It's not like I felt pain at the shot. I'm not worried about the blast affecting me during a shooting, just after.

20. About 30 years ago, me and a friend were goofin' off at the lake drinking a bottle of TJ Swan Easy Nights sitting in the cab of the truck when he dared me to shoot this turtle off of a limb that he was sleeping on. so I reached over and grabbed the Taurus .357 sitting in the drivers seat and shot over him through the passenger's window and nailed the turtle. He said " Hey, I thought you were going to get out of the truck and shoot it".
    I said...................................

"W H A T " !