close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody else not turn a wheel today?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by jlw_84, Mar 14, 2005.

1. jlw_84

jlw_84 General Glocker

Nov 8, 2002
    Midwest
    Slow day around the house for me, we pulled the engine and the bus out, washed, fueled, and refilled. Then decided to take the engine for a ride, got something to eat. Then sat around and had intubation races and practiced starting lines on our new manikins.

Anybody else have a nice calm relaxing day?

2. Slinger646

Slinger646 King of Sling

Sep 5, 2004
    In the Mountains of VA
    I vollie one night a week...haven't had a call in 6 weeks.

3. jlw_84

jlw_84 General Glocker

Nov 8, 2002
    Midwest
    Come on now, if you wanna do it, you gotta volunteer more than that. Do you not live near the FD?

I'm taking it you dont and only volunteer the days that you can stay at the FD?

4. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Mar 20, 2003
    Land of the toothless!
    None of volunteer FD's man the stations. They sit dormant until a call comes out.

Anyway, last week I worked a shift where we didn't get a call but had to go to standby four times! I spent more time at standby then I did at the station! ;Q

The next night a call came out and I about jumped out of my skin when they called our unit! It felt good to be doing something besides sitting all night!

5. FlaFF

FlaFF

Jan 7, 2005
    FL
    No calls till 8pm, then 5 calls between 8pm and shift change (7am). Nothing exciting unfortunately.

FlaFF

6. jlw_84

jlw_84 General Glocker

Nov 8, 2002
    Midwest
    All squad runs I assume?

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    jlw_84
    I am a volly for an extremely slow department. When I say extremely slow dept. I mean I "hired on" Dec 20 '04 and have yet to even get a call. The one and only call that I have been on was the one call we got when I was doing a clinical "ride along" with the local ambulance service and that wasn't even an interesting call. It was even a slow night for them when I rode along.

8. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

24 hours of nothing, I hope this trend continues.

9. Slinger646

Slinger646 King of Sling

Sep 5, 2004
    In the Mountains of VA
    I was just talking about my crew, as an officer, we pick weeks to be "Duty Officer" we have to run all box alarms and MVC/entrapment

10. FlaFF

FlaFF

Jan 7, 2005
    FL

Engine runs actually. Rescue runs separately from us frequently, weird setup we have for transports.

As an aside, we had one that dispatched out interestingly. MVC, car in a canal. Sounds good and we get there to find the car floating but the driver is out and on a dock on the opposite side of the canal. Nothing but a bunch of paperwork. Such is life!

FlaFF

11. Glkster19

Glkster19

May 12, 2001
    Lansing, MI
    After 15yrs of doing this full-time, I actually enjoy quiet shifts. I can do whatever I need to in the evening and then sleep all night. Get paid the same whether I do nothing or pull 10 calls.

12. DepChief

DepChief Get Tous's Rope

Nov 27, 2004
    Outer Banks, NC
    I am 9 hours into a 48 hour shift (24 Bus/24 Engine) and nothing yet. I hope it stays quiet until 0800 tomorrow, I much perfer fire to EMS. Living on the ocean, the winters are usually pretty quiet, but as soon as summer gets here, we run constantly.

13. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Oct 5, 2001
    Arizona
    We had a crazy January and then February was as dead as a doornail. March has been on the slow side as well. This month we've only had 24 calls and 4 of those were for fire police. Normally we have 55-65 calls per month. We've got our annual banquet tonight though, so our transfer companies will probably run like crazy.:(

14. jim2037

jim2037

Mar 5, 2005
    SC
    Oh sure rub it in! 14 hour shift 9 calls: 7 transports 2 refusals

15. oldstyle

oldstyle Jeep Pirate

Jan 31, 2002
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I ride the ladder so we usually sit more than the engine guys. Yesterday was busy though, with 4 runs including a MVA, an infant SIDS, and a full on structure fire/ gunshot/ air transport.

The SIDS came last and took all the fun away.