close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody else in here don't know how to drive stick?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sierrafast, Apr 8, 2012.

1. sierrafast

sierrafast Coleccionista

Apr 20, 2007
    Southern TX
    I was drinking with a group of friends last night and the topic came up again. Turns out I was the only one in the group who didn't know. For sone reason I have never been interested in stick or had the opportunity to learn. Anybody here in the same boat?

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Man card - revoked.

First car I learned to drive was stick. We had an automatic too, but Dad wanted me to learn the stick.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

3. Viper16

Viper16

Apr 2, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thank goodness I knew stick...my boss had a Porsche 911 in the shop and he needed someone in the office who knew how to drive stick to drive his OTHER Porsche 911 while he picked that one up. I grinned from cheek to cheek that day, as I drove his car back to his house.

4. hammerkill

hammerkill

Mar 1, 2012
    My first stick shift was 3 on the tree. No synchronizers on first gear.

5. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues Silver Member

Likewise... I figure I did enough shifting for several lifetimes on that car .....:supergrin:

6. Al Czervik

Al Czervik My arm!

Aug 18, 2006
    Bushwood
    I grew up on a ranch. All we had were sticks. So, yes, since before I started Kindergarten. Had my first MVA at 6.

7. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    How can you not be interested in learning?

8. Nope. Youre the only one. Sorry.

9. My dad taught me to drive on country roads when I was around 8 and he told me that if I did not learn how to drive a stick he would beat my butt with a stick. I picked up the skill really quick and was soon driving on pavement roads.

10. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY

Those were fun weren't they. :supergrin:

11. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Oct 1, 2001
    north of the equator
    This was as predictable as sunrise in the morning. :upeyes:

12. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

May 23, 2002
    Big Chimney, WV
    There are many like my sister I'm afraid. She can "drive a standard" but cannot for the life of her do it smoothly. Cannot start out on even a gentle uphill slope without using the emergency brake to hold it; thinks even if the car is sloping down hill it must be in first gear when starting from a stop, revs the engine well past the torque curve before shifting and various other transgressions. One couple told her after a short ride that riding in a car driven by her "Was like being in a video game!" It was not intended as a compliment.

13. Algaroth

Algaroth GADM \m/

Sep 2, 2006
    Clarksville, TN
    You're probably in a very small minority. I honed my manual skills in an '85 Mazda GLC for a few months, and then had to sell it (emissions problems). Then I bought a '97 Nissan truck, 5-speed, and been driving it since. That was 9 years ago. I bought it my senior year in high school.

It's still on the original clutch, to boot.

I definitely prefer a manual over an automatic. My wife's Vibe is an automatic though, unfortunately, but oh well.

14. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    Do you want a car you DRIVE or just Steer? I learned really young about manual transmissions. One of the perks of growing up on a farm. When the part of the test came to parallel park, the examiner asked if I knew how. I said yes I know how, I can also back up a 24 foot trailer into a loading chute want me to do that too?

15. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

Back in '78 my first truck was a '61 Intl Harvester Scout (the first year it was a pickup-short cab and a bed) 3 speed stick (252 cu.in. slant 4), then an '82 GMC truck had the 3 speed column shift (250 cu.in. straight 6) and the next GMC truck extended cab/long bed had 5 on the floor (350 cu.in. V8) and now I own my first automatic transmission '06 GMC truck also extended cab/long bed (5.3 liter/327 V8).

If you can drive a stick you can drive almost anything.

The Scout had three sticks on the floor: "H" pattern 3 speed, 4WD-2WD and Low-High Range. I'd love to have that old truck back.

16. All three of my wives knew how to drive stick, before I met them.:rofl:

17. mknpwr

mknpwr

Jul 18, 2011
    Learned on a stick at 11 or 12. Dad taught all 4 kids on a manual and we all took the drivers test with the same car. Spent a few years driving tractor trailer doing heavy haul cross country. 18 speeds with 210,000lbs, 3 pivoit points and a mountain is no joke.

Sent from my rotary dial phone

18. longhair

longhair

Aug 18, 2008
    Growing up with tractors, I knew about clutches by the age of 5. Driving a stick shift was no problem after that.

19. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Dec 30, 2011
    Troy, MI
    I learned to drive on a three on the tree. Only problem was it tended to get hung up between 2nd and 3rd sometimes requiring me to pull over open the hood and unstick linkage asm.:supergrin:

20. BEANCOUNTER

BEANCOUNTER Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1999
    With the A/T do you find yourself mentally keeping track of what gear it's in? Or timing traffic lights so you don't have to downshift or stop? Or pushing in on a clutch that isn't there when coming to a stop?

I recently had a Nissan Altima loaner with a CVT. Good transmission but I missed not knowing what gear I was in.