close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Volkswagen people??

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by JoJimi, Sep 8, 2007.

1. JoJimi

JoJimi
    Expand Collapse
    Chuck U. Farley

I just bought a 1971 Type 3 and I have no idea how to identify what year the engine is. I already know that its not stock but is there somewhere I can look to find the specific year of the engine?

2. 220-9er

220-9er
    Expand Collapse

I seem to remember the case had numbers stamped in it where the case halves came together, can't remember which end though. I would think that would be your best bet.

3. Gareth68

Gareth68
    Expand Collapse

Post the case numbers and I can tell you. You might want to check out www.thesamba.com for a great VW related message board with tech sections and the best VW classifieds on the net.

Any in depth mechanical questions etc...feel free to PM me. I used to resto VW's for a living. I can help keep you from some of the pitfalls.

Good luck. Just remember, they are very well built cars, but they are 30+ years old. Keep your expectations realistic, and you will enjoy the hobby. If planning daily driving there are a LOT of pieces that need examination and probable replacement before safety and reliability can be presumed. :thumbsup: