close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any use at all for pistol grip only shotgun

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Andy W, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Andy W

Andy W
    Expand Collapse

So I've noticed that Mossberg has a lot of 500 variants sold with only a pistol grip stock. Remington has a few but not as many as Mossberg. Pistol grip shotguns don't interest me at all but does anyone that knows anything about shotguns or gunfigthing reccomend a pistol grip on a shotgun in any circumstances? To me it makes it useless for anything other than hip firing.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood
    Expand Collapse
    GTDS #88
    CLM
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Don't like them. But if you lock out properly, you can shoot effectively from a eye level position.

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn
    Expand Collapse
    The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

I would suggest a bird head grip over a classic pistol grip.

4. Inebriated

Inebriated
    Expand Collapse

It's for breaching.

5. Andy W

Andy W
    Expand Collapse

Yeah but 99.99999% of civilains are never going to have a need to breach a door. However, these guns seem to be marketed exclusively to civilians. Maybe for firing out the window at the dealer cutting in on your territory. Hence the name Mossberg 500 cruiser....its not supposed to be in a police cruiser......Its meant for when you are cruising your territory for Bloods.

#5 Andy W, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  6. Inebriated

Inebriated
    Expand Collapse

99.99999% of civilians are never going to participate in a GT race, yet there's an entire industry devoted to letting them pretend that they will.

Same thing.

7. Andy W

Andy W
    Expand Collapse

#7 Andy W, Aug 9, 2014
  8. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

Breaching is the only thing that comes to mind. I have shot a few in the past. I couldn't hit crap with them and it hurt my wrist.

They look cool, that is the only reason they sell. I would much rather have a youth length stock and a 14" barrel if I had to have one short.

9. Angry Fist

Angry Fist
    Expand Collapse
    *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad
    2. Show Me Glockers

#9 Angry Fist, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  10. Joshhtn

Joshhtn
    Expand Collapse
    The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

^^^ That picture just screams hardcore & badass! :supergrin:

11. azbuckeye

azbuckeye
    Expand Collapse

I tried a birds head grip on one of my 870's but went back to the regular stock. I just didn't care for the grip....they look good, but they're not very practical.

12. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I got one with my 500, but never used it / never saw the need. If compactness is needed, a folding or collapsible stock could be added. I guess that would make it useful.

13. Turn4811

Turn4811
    Expand Collapse

I have a 870 with a pistol grip as my primary home defence weapon - it is a purpose built weapon. It takes a bit of practice to effectively use a pistol grip shotgun. You do need to know the pattern spread at different distances with the type of shells you plan to use. It is great for clearing a room. The sound of a shotgun racking is one of the scariest sounds a home invader will ever hear.

BTW: a barrel less than 18 inches is bad juju with the law.

14. VinnieD

VinnieD
    Expand Collapse

Breaching, and extremely tight spaces, or other cases where you need to keep the length down. A folding stock however accomplishes all of those things. Now a pistol grip WITH a stock is another thing entirely. More natural position for the hand, and greater overall control.

15. TK-421

TK-421
    Expand Collapse

16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine
    Expand Collapse

I have a number of full stock shotguns but I was also a fan of PGO shotguns for some years.

With a little practice a shooter can become pretty good (very good) with PGO shotguns. Especially if they are equipped with a good laser/light like a Streamlight TLR-2.

The last few years my wrist has become too weak to take the beating any more, so I put stocks o all the shotguns.

Recently I bought a 20 ga Mossberg 500 and equipped it with a pistol grip and TLR-2.
    Not bad on the hurting wrist.
    If Federal would make 20 ga flight control wad buckshot the gun could become one of the guns to grab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But now days it's hard to beat these two shotguns. :)

[​IMG]

25 yards.

[​IMG]

#16 M2 Carbine, Aug 9, 2014
  17. Jamesey

Jamesey
    Expand Collapse

Just some random thoughts on the subject. I made a birdshead grip for my Mossberg 500 after watching Hickok 45 having so much fun with his on his YouTube video. MUCH less punishing than the awful grip that Mossberg uses. If Mossberg insists on selling PGO shotguns they should install the birdshead variety, if for no other reason than allowing easier manipulation of the tang safety. With practice and the right technique you can aim your shots fairly accurately, but still not as well as aiming with a shoulder stock. A weapon light throws a beam approximately where the shot pattern will hit. Might work well for in the home defense. These last two points are my own speculation; YMMV. Lastly, my birdshead 500 is essentially a range toy....nothing wrong with having fun on the range!

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

19. Railsplitter

Railsplitter
    Expand Collapse

If you dare to not be tacticool then lose the handle, its just something that could get your shotgun labeled assault weapon if things get sticky in the future, in a more politically correct environment...just saying. Also .22 rifles with high capacity external magazines might suffer the same fate, I only own .22s with internal ammo storage.

#19 Railsplitter, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  20. hunter 111

hunter 111
    Expand Collapse

Run one , love it
    The ultimate DRT tool with 10 yards

#20 hunter 111, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014