Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Any upland game hunters here?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by MrMunster, May 7, 2002.

1. MrMunster

Nov 4, 2001
    Who likes to hunt "Upland" game like pheasants, quail, partridge, and grouse?

What gun(s) do you hunt with?

2. MrMunster

Nov 4, 2001
    I'll start.

I love to hunt quail (and am always looking for new partners!!!!) with my second choice being pheasants. My favorite gun is my 20ga Browning Citori for all birds, but I have gone to a 16ga citori for late season pheasants.

I own two labs that aren't much more than house dogs, but they do bust the brush. By far, my favorite memories are of my uncle's brittany. She was my uncles 10 months out of the year, but belonged to my dad and I for the months of Nov & Dec....I think my uncle still holds a grudge about the fact that his dog always hunted with my dad instead of him...

Beyond that, I live for sunny days on a new fallen snow to hunt rabbits by myself alone in the woods with only my thoughts and my ruger 10/22.

3. GlockM23

Apr 23, 2002

Ahh, thats the life. I'm jealous.
  4. hunt woodcock and ruffed grouse on the property up in cadillac michigan with my dad, and my uncles property near where i hunt in cadillac has a pheasent ranch bordering his property line, so theres always plent of free pheasents to go shoot at over there. i either use my mossy 12 ga but most of the time the benelli nova.
  5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Cochise County, AZ
    last year was my first year of quail hunting and i'm hooked. when i lived in OH there weren't any after the blizzard of '77. definately a rush when you almost step on a covey and they flush. whay do you guys use for upland game? right now all i have is my rem 870 12ga, but i'm looking into and O/U 20ga for the upcoming season. that 12ga is just too heavy for a full day in the field.
  6. MrMunster

Nov 4, 2001
    Not to mention too heavy, even with light loads, for those little quail...

Definitely recommend the 20ga. If you like the 870, buy another in 20ga. I started with a wingmaster and loved it. However, I have gone to the citori because I found that I never took more than 2 shots on a covey rise anyway. Why hump a gun around in the field loaded with 5 shells, 3 of which will never get used...
  7. shrpshtr

Jan 25, 2001
    Sumter, SC, USA
    i love hunting upland game birds, and waterfowl for that matter. around here, mid-SC, mainly doves and quail are the only upland game unless you go to a preserve. only bad thing about that is the birds aren't typically scared and you have to kick them to get the to take off. not a lot along the lines of waterfowl but i manage to hump it out to Arkansas for a week every year to enjoy duckhunting. that is another addiction entirely.

i have been using the same shotgun now for over 10 years. Remington 11-87 SP. i wish i had a clue how many shots i have put through that gun. i have been thinking about retiring it but i believe i would break out in tears if i did. i have shot just about everything you can legally hunt with that shotgun.

i have a lab i am sure all of you have heard me refer to on GT at one time or another. bird/duck hunting wouldn't be the same without him. he has become as much a part of the hunt as the game itself. it's funny, we have been going together long enough that i don't even have to tell him what to do anymore. it's like he can read my mind.....i don't know if that is a good thing or not. :)

i am really gonna love this forum!
  8. shrpshtr

Jan 25, 2001
    Sumter, SC, USA
    by the way, for those avid upland game hunters who also like reading. check out all of Havilah Babcock's books. they are fantastic!!!

Havilah Babcock
  9. sooner pete

sooner pete STOOPS FOR PRES

Mar 5, 2002
    Hey shrpshtr,your choc. Lab looks just like my cocca Dakota dawn. cocca is a 120 lbs.female,with a deep dark choc. color.
  10. LEO2002

Apr 11, 2000
    Black grouse is my favorite game. Hazel grouse is a near second. Just love baiting those hazel grouse with a whistle. Will also take rabbits, waterfowl and other game if I happen upom them.

I like my Rem 870 12ga for brush busting and my Swedish Mauser (perfectly legal around here - no flames please) for those long shots.

No dog. Would love to have one.
  11. shrpshtr

Jan 25, 2001
    Sumter, SC, USA
    that's about what he weighs now...maybe just a hair more. he is getting fatter every year. i swear my wife is trying to fatten him up so he can't hunt with me anymore.
  12. I love to hunt Mtn. Quail up here. A good quiet stalk combined with an appropriate approach can bag you 3 in a shot. Our quail like to sit in the Mtn. Whitethorn with it's 3" thorns you need to walk real quite before you flush em to your shot. try to approach em so they fly into a flat so you can find em. That's the tough part.

The Grouse sit up high in the Ponderosas and need to be approached from at least a 1/4 mile at a slow stalk. I've yet to nail one in season but I've found em watching me. Matter of time now.;)

The Gardener.
  13. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

Apr 20, 2002
    Grouse is my favorite bird. I don't need a dog and they sleep late. And on the rare times that I've actually bagged one they make a great meal. I use a Remington 1100 Special Field 20 Guage.
  14. mzenzer

mzenzer Argus-eyed

Feb 14, 2002
    Ah Quail hunting! Nothing like hunting quail with a single shot .410 to teach you how to shoot. I learned more about shooting from quail hunting (mostly patience verse wildy popping off a shot) than any other method.
  15. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    I'm jealous too. The rabbit hunting around Seattle is rough since the farmlands with great meadows have been pushed out a good hour plus out of the suburbs.

But it's a beautiful idea. I've taken my limit (3 a day) several times last season with my G19 with a .22lr AACK mounted on top. Just walked blackberry ridden ditches along logging roads and jumped the rabbits myself. All shots were within 10 yards or shorter. Many rabbits that hopped off for 10-30 feet and paused. bad for them, good for me!

But I'd like to learn more techniques and other good rabbit land. How do you spot them lying in the bushes? Can do that well yet.

Got a couple of my former college students who also have the urge for some cottontail!

How do you spook up your rabbits and with what? I have yet to really bust out my Marlin Papoose with the red dot scope!
  16. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Ruffed grouse to walking along logging roads on timber land.

Rem 870 12 gauge on the ready! Hard to hunt. Only claimed a couple last grouse season.
  17. podwich

Sep 7, 2000
    Bird: partridge. Gun: Benelli Nova. :)
  18. glockster96

glockster96 Moderator Lifetime Member

Oct 3, 2001
    QUAIL!!! Lots of fun wiht the Ithaca O/U.

I'd like to go pheasant hunting more often, but there just aren't many in this area any more.
  19. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Mar 1, 2001
    Michigan, USA
    I hunt any game bird that flies in Michigan. I use a Beretta 390 & choke accordingly!

I have the pleasure of hunting behind a very good & well-trained GSP that belongs to a good friend of mine.

I take part with a few others in raising over 150 pheasants a year. We release all of them into the wild & get to “harvest” about 25% of those. We do a kind of private pheasant club if you would. It’s very nice to see a lot of birds on opening day.
  20. Schnek

Jan 9, 2002
    SW Michigan
    I like to hunt quail in Southwest Indiana. My dad still lives there and has a Brittany Spaniel right now. He has had English Setters at times also. Dad hunts with a 16 gauge Browning Auto 5. I hunt with a 12 gauge Remington Express Turkey model. Upland is my favorite type of hunting.