Any trout fisherman here?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by w30olds, Jun 24, 2013.

1. I started fishing this year and wanted to try my luck at trout fishing. I live in Georgia and there are some really good rivers to fish here. What would be some tips that fellow trout folks could lend me? Any tips, info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    KilgoreTrout. Uncategorized Oct 10, 2008
    KilgoreTrout Uncategorized Oct 3, 2008
    Im making trout pate tomorrow ! The Okie Corral Feb 9, 2015
    Small house for sale near trout river, national forest, and ski area in VT Misc. Non-Gun Stuff Jan 16, 2015
    Hello from North Carolina (Troutman/Mooresville/Statesville) Introduction Forum Oct 6, 2014

3. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero
    CLM

Here is the photo of me fishing the Conejos River in southern Colorado when I still had legs.

[​IMG]

My advice would be to buy the The Orvis Guide to Beginning Fly Fishing: 101 Tips for the Absolute Beginner. It contains a wealth of info on EVERY aspect of fly fishing.

4. I've trout fished with most methods, bait, fly-fishing, & spinners/small lures.

One of the more simple methods would be the common worm offered in a likely hole with some cover.

Small spinners like the 'Rooster-tail' & Panther-Martin or Mepps are great choices, in a size appropriate stream.

Fly-fishing is a fine way to go, not as complicated or hard as some would lead you to believe. Practice a little at home & start with recommendations from the local fly shop.

I like to match my line to the fishing. That would mean 6 or even 4 lb test line for most trout fishing, no need for 20 lb test.

Like a lot of things, experience can be the best teacher, get out & try a few things.

5. Check the regs in your area before trying this one. You can use a spinning set up to fish with colored beads. Use a small barbless hook. Place a small bead about 2 fingers in distance above the hook. You then keep it in place with a tooth pick. Break off the tooth pick after the bead is in place. Try out different colors, you can find them in sewing shops or bead stores. Put enough weigh about 18 inches above the hook to keep the hook down low but don't let it drag on the bottom. All you do is cast upstream, keep the tip of the rod down low and tighten the line. Let the set up drift with the current and follow its drift with the tip of the rod. Try to find areas with holding areas for the fish and fish the current just above a pool. This can be a lot of fun and pretty productive. It works great for catch and release fishing. Some areas the bead can not be held in place so again check the regs first.

6. Thanks guys for the info. I caught a decent rainbow trout over the weekend on the Toccoa river. I caught it using a green rooster tail. It was a lot of fun. Will continue to fish and gain experience.

7. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I dry fly fish for trout in N GA. The trick is finding an area where you're not asses to elbows with other fishermen. Helen gets too crowded. But in that general vicinity, you can find some nice streams. If I recall, NC recognizes a GA license...but you better double check me on that one.

Dick's Creek is a good place. I haven't been there in years. IIRC, you have to drive your vehicle over some rougher terrain. Not sure what you're driving. I've used my Honda Pilot (AWD) and it's been fine.

Good luck.

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Good word !

Man If that ain't a contry boy riggin I don't know what is ! ;)

Stay safe my friend !

CanyonMan

9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Good advice amigo ! Hope all is going good with ya pard.

Man I love fly fishing more than any other type of fishing, I really do.
    I am not real great at it, but I manage. Getting those lines and leaders together with the "correct knots," (as you know) is very important. Knot tying didn't come hard for me, being a rancher all my life, because you have to learn a good deal of different knots arounfd here. BUT, man, there were a ton I never heard of and drove me crazy for a while, and that blame line is "obviously soooo much thinner than a "rope." haha.

Sounds like you could give all of us some good lessons. I'm going to remember you when I get stuck o something and need help ! ;)

God bless ya my friend !
    Stay safe !

CanyonMan

10. After several years in Oconee county, SC...I figured out
    that stocker trout are devil's spawn...give up now lol

they are lots of fun, it's just a matter of finding out what
    they are looking for that day.

11. 9 days..and fifty miles. we went into the back country. backpacks and a fishing rod. we slayed them 3 weeks ago. i think 5 groups a year hit this hard to get to lake. the smaller lake next to it..100%. it got boring getting a small trout at every cast. i dont even like trout fishing that much..but i think i'm getting there!

12. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over
    Millennium Member

I used to trout fish - there are no trout streams where I now live. I miss it on a rainy day.

The streams where I grew up run through woods - no fly fishing. It's hard enough to drop a worm under a branch - or cast a Mepps a small distance.

That said, some of the streams held some very big fish. We'd get one on occasion during the late June May Fly hatch. We did use fly rods for this - but we only used about a rod's length of line.

A bit north of this there were some streams in sand/scrub oak 'barrens'. The streams may only be a mile or two apart, but the native brook trout of each stream would have a different color pattern. Very bright and very beautiful. Small fish - 6-7 inches. But they were fun to catch.

13. Just went to the pond d with the fly rod and brought home enough of everything but trout to make stew. Even got a bass but no trout.

14. duncan

Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Around Seattle in the Cascade Moutains we have some fine lake rainbow trout that can be caught with basic worms and small fly setup with a very light pole setup.

Key is to be there early morning or early evening when they feed,

15. I believe I might have passed Dicks Creek on my way up to Blue Ridge on hwy 60 I believe

16. Caught two rainbows on the White river tonight on the fly. Not bad for a quick stop. Have fish in the freezer so they were released.

17. I trout fish in small lakes in northern Utah. Fly and bubble technique. Black Gnat on a small spin cast rig.