close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Any Subaru WRX people look in here?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by Bullman, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Oct 11, 2003
    SW Virginia
    I was curious what the older WRX's were for stock power. I am looking between the 2002 to 2007 range for right now. Just curious how much power they make and if they are easy to tune, as in good aftermarket performance parts and the like.

2. S*****4

S*****4

Jan 12, 2013
    I think 227 stock hp on WRX

Get an Evo though - better road suspension, sweeter engine, better to tune (argueable)
    ..especially an Evo IX (2006)

3. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Oct 11, 2003
    SW Virginia
    Well, I was looking for that because of the Factory Five 818 kit car. the WRX or Impreza is the donor car

4. Nanuk

Nanuk

Sep 13, 2009
    At home
    I had an 03 and to be honest I saw no need to do anything too it. I had the wagon.

hooligan74 likes this.
  5. hooligan74

hooligan74

Aug 15, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I had a '98 Impreza wagon that I did an STi Ver. 3 engine/trans swap into. I've ridden in tons of stock and tuned WRXs.

227hp is right.

Yes, there are a ton of quality tunes and parts out there for the WRX. Cobb's Access Port is probably the most popular. The trick is to find a WRX from that era that hasn't been beat to **** by some teenaged rice boy.

6. silas303

silas303

Apr 11, 2015
    I recently sold my 2002 wrx. I was (still) a big car nut, but becoming a family man forced me to let her go. Stock they make 227 hp (GDB chassis) They are very receptive to modifications. For little money you can make some decent power. Lots of good companies making affordable, quality parts ( like Grimmspeed and T.I.C.)
    IMHO the real beauty of subarus if you like to tinker are:

1. They are like legos. Very easy to swap parts from one model to another. ie. 2004 STI motor into wrx
    2. Lots of tuning options.. COBB is very popular. I used opensource software. You can buy a cheap usb-> ODBII cable, download some free programs and start tuning yourself. There are also internet tuners who you send a datalog to and will send you back a tune for a reasonable price. Years ago used xpttuning.com. I was very happy with the price and quality of the map.

I still have the cable sitting at home if you are every interested..

7. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Oct 11, 2003
    SW Virginia
    I don't have a WRX. When I made this thread I was looking at the Factory Five website and their 818 project car. It requires a Subarau donor car and I was curious how much horsepower one could reasonably and reliably tweek out of one of those types of motors.

8. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Oct 23, 2009
  9. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

Jun 27, 2009
    Yakutsk, Sakha Republic
    260 is a safe goal. And enough to smoke most supercars. You may want to check the FFR car curb weight again. If you keep the weight down, it'll fly.