close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Seattle Cops Here?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by FireCaptDave, Sep 10, 2011.

1. When I visit Seattle I see uniformed cops directing traffic around construction sites and other areas of the city (as opposed to non-sworn traffic people.) Are these or light duty officers, retired, etc?

Most seem a bit older so not sure if it's a gig you do when you've had your fill of patrol.

Thanks and stay safe.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. I can't speak for Seattle, but it's probably an OT gig. If they have pensions based on the last 3 years of pay then the old timers take all the OT to inflate their earnings over the last 3 years.

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I don't know about other states, but in California, OT does not count toward retirement. Differential pay for night shift, detective, FTO and so forth does, but not OT.

4. OT gigs. Some cities (like Bellevue, across the lake) have it codified into city law that any projects going into the street have to have a blue canary standing there for traffic control and anything else.

5. Blue canary. I can use that. :supergrin:

6. Hmmm.... hose head....... I should come here more often.... :rofl:

7. JBaird22

JBaird22

Nov 18, 2005
    Washington
    Ahh blue canary. I used that in this part of the world and they had no clue what I was talking about. Certainly a regional thing.

8. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Jun 8, 2007
    Washington
    They are usually OT gigs. You see a lot of older guys doing those details because Washington's Police retirement (LEOFF 2) is a percentage based on your final average salary for you last five years of service. IIRC SPD's OT gigs are signed up based on seniority too.

9. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Sweet. Kind of like where I work at at the OT jobs. But, OT doesn't figure in for anything concerning pension. But, a person can invest the overage into a IRA or something.