close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any rotary enthusiast?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by 10MMCop, Oct 2, 2005.

1. 10MMCop

10MMCop

Anyone into rotary engines? Its a big expensive hobby of mine. Ive collected RX7s since I was 18. I currently have a 84 GSL-SE a 79 SA, a 87 TII, a 91 Vert, and a 93 Touring. Most of em run...some better than others. The n/a ones are alot more reliable than the turbos..but they are all fun cars to drive.

2. JMF

JMF Millennium Member

I had an 81 GSL RX-7, now I have a 76 Cosmo (small project) with an 88 13B with dual weber down drafts. Those rotory's are fun, looking to rebuild my first engine, hope that goes OK.

3. arrowdriver

arrowdriver

Currently driving an RX-8, used to have a 1987 (hmm I think, maybe 88) Turbo II.

4. dbrowne1

dbrowne1 Senior Member

I love the Wankel engines, especially the turbo'ed ones, but I've never owned one. The 3rd generation RX-7 is one of the greatest sports cars ever made, though, in my opinion.

5. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

My buddies used to work at/ hang out at this place.

http://www.aimtuning.com

They know thier stuff when it comes to rotories (and miatas).

Interesting sidenote: AIM is actually owned by the grandson of Glenn Curtiss (of airplane and land speed record motorcycle fame).

6. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

I love the wankle. When I worked for a dealership there was an old tech that was around from the mid 70's, He only worked on wankles. His sandrail engine was a custom 3 rotor turbo. The thing is an animal!!!

7. Glock-Man-Man

Glock-Man-Man

I've heard the 3-rotors can be Super crazy fast...

8. JohnH

JohnH Millennium Member

Owned a Mazda RX-2 back in the early seventies. I loved that little car. It would top out at about 120 mph, put down four feet of rubber on a second gear shift, and routinely shoot 1 foot flames out the tailpipe when using leaded gas. It did, however, burn quite a bit of oil, as rotories do, and the gas mileage was not great. Recently saw a tricked out RX-2 at the car wash. It had a huge weber down-draft car and headers. It's still a pretty good looking car. JohnH

9. quichedem

quichedem

The 7 is one of my favorites. After almost buying a '93 back in '01, I vowed never to let another slip through my fingers! check out www.robrobinnette.com (i think that's how it's spelled) for 3rd gen 7 stuff. Very helpful.

10. bac1023

bac1023

I never owned one. However, I have driven a few RX-7s over the years. They are fun to drive, IMO.