close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

any purpose to carrying an extra mag?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by huggytree, Nov 14, 2011.

1. huggytree

huggytree

Nov 9, 2011
    i bought a Glock extra mag holder for my belt, but now i wondering why i did

it just seems foolish to think id ever need more than 10 shots for any situation when the odds are 99.99999% that i will ever even draw my gun

do any of you carry a spare mag?

2. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I do.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Apr 23, 2009
    I carry an extra mag, in large part because failures can usually be resolved by changing mags. It is often said that the magazine is the least reliable part of pistols, so a spare gives you a mechanical backup, as well as extra rounds in the unlikely even that a shooting incident is prolonged beyond 10 rounds.

4. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Nov 23, 2009
    Ohio
    When I carry my 15-round G19, no.
    When I carry my 7-round G36, usually.

5. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Yes, there is a purpose to it.

To calm the irrational fears of the person carrying it. Its just a little chunk of metal - really not a whole lot of downside to doing so, except jerks on the internet will make fun of you for thinking you live in an action movie.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    In vehicle, not on me. I carry a BUG or two, so a reload seems overkill on top of that.

7. Deye76

Deye76

Feb 25, 2011
    If I find myself having to enter "the belly of the beast" (eastside, or southwest Detroit) then likely. Otherwise rarely.

8. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005
    Louisiana
    Whenever I'm traveling I like to keep an extra just in case a table I sit at wobbles.

9. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Nov 23, 2009
    Ohio
    :rofl:

10. ChipM

ChipM

Jan 9, 2009
    In addition to the malfunction-solving capability and the (admittedly small) chance to need more shots, I find that it balances out my belt a bit.

11. This all day long.

Same reason I keep a spare tire in my car. I don't plan on getting a flat tire and have only had one in my 12 short years of driving but I want to be ready if I do.

12. Glockworks

Glockworks Ready/Aim/Fire

Best answer so far IMHO.

And further I never want to need it, but if I need it, I want it with me and not sitting in my safe where it does no good. I usually wear cargo pants and the extra mag goes in there.

:supergrin:

13. Toorop

Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    Pretty much summed up by the above posters. Malfunctions, balancing the belt, and needing more ammo are good reasons. Assuming that you won't need more then 10 shots is fine, but what if you do? I assume you never miss either?

14. 69Charger

69Charger

Jul 25, 2011
    Tacoma Wa
    Extra mag? If you went through all the scenarios that you might need something, you would have to bring it all along in a Semi Truck. Whats your level of paranoia? Do whatever. :dunno:
    Dave

15. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    I suggest that anyone that thinks they don't need a extra mag or 2, take a stress induced training class. You will understand after that.

16. Wolf Spyder

Wolf Spyder Gun Activist

May 26, 2002
    Central Ohio
    And just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water... "Jaws 15" coming to a theater near you...

...Yup, there have been a couple of these types of threads.

It is my humble opinion that if you carry a gun, you should carry at least one spare magazine / reload. If for no other reason than; "It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

What if while your out and about, you do have a need to pull out your pistol and fire a few shots to save your own life... with out a reload, what do you put in the gun for the trip home? There are many reason why I carry spare magazines, but you have to put some thought into why you carry in the first place, especially if you are questioning the idea of having spare ammo, on your person, for your self defense tool.

This is my EDC;

[​IMG]

And this is why I carry a 10mm;

[​IMG]

The 9mm expanded to 1/2 an inch, the 10mm expanded to 1.20 inches. So, the 10mm tripled in diameter, and hits with twice the kinetic energy.

Food for thought.

you can never have enough loaded magazines...

[​IMG]

17. j-glock22

j-glock22

Sep 20, 2001
    Central Ohio
    Was wondering when someone would say this.
    :supergrin: