close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Any prob with 147gr loaded to 125 PF in stock G26

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by machman, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Has anyone had any experience with 147gr bullets loaded to 125 PF in a stock G26. My load makes 127 PF through my G34. I have a match this weekend and don't really have time to do extensive practice/trial with it.

I use this load in my G17 and 34 with a #13 recoil spring.

Thanks for any help.

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Too low PF for the stock springs in a G26, even for a G34 127 is too low in IMHO. I prefer 130 (5% added for cushion) minimum and have actually bumped my loads to 135.
    If your lucky and they cycle... your most likely gonna have accuracy issues with the short barrel. What powder are you using and what OAL?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I know that 147s loaded to 125PF out of my G17 were horribly inaccurate... I boosted to 133'ish. So if you're only getting 125PF out of that short barrel... good luck on any 15+ yard shots.

I was going for a "gamer" load, until I realized this... decided to boost it up and learn how to deal with the recoil..

4. Boxerglocker

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Even Team Glocks Sevigney has 147's traveling at 940 Fps minimum... that's 138 Pf.

5. Thanks fellows. I appreciate your input.

This particular load is 147 BBI bullets, 3.5 gr Solo 1000, 1.130 OAL.

I have shot 115 gr Blazer and WWB ammo for years in until I started reloading this year.

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Iffy for a G26. I load mine to 130PF for my 34 with a 15 lb spring.

7. Boxerglocker

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I loaded Solo last year with a 147g LFP 3.5g same OAL. Horrible accuracy until I bumped it up to 3.7g even then it wasn't great. If you really want to use your G26 this weekend just bump it up to 3.7 you'll do better than trying to stay at you current load with that gun. The problem with Solo is the inconsistency from batch to batch, but being you have a baseline with your G34 just bump it a little to get you by for the match.

8. 1006

Aug 12, 2007
    Newnan, Georgia
    I think it will be hard to make minor in the G-26 with most bullets. My G-19 will not make minor with Winchester Bulk Pack White Box (walmart).

The Sevigney load mentioned above only makes a power factor of 127 in my G-19: it makes a PF or 135 in my G-34. So, I would guess that you need a load that makes at least 137 in G-34 to get 125 or better out of a G-26.

9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    1006 mentioned this... but that PF you mention out of David's gun is probably through his G34 which is going to boost the numbers by 3-4PF I'm guessing. Which puts it in about the same range as my 133PF in G17.

I know that when I was comparing readings with Solo-1000 with Steve (same load), my results were always lower than his, and he has a G34.

10. Boxerglocker

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    That's true the bbl length will make a difference but still even more the issue with Solo... it is very inconsistent from batch to batch... I used 3 different one pound jars last year and each time had to rechrono. In the end I got tired of it and the last batch I just randonly loaded it relatively hot and that's actually when I decided that I liked it up at 138 PF with my G34.

This is true, I checked the batch of TG 124g loads that chronoed out of my G34 for WA State IDPA Championship last year in my G19 which I brought along as a back-up.

G34, 1110 fps average (SD 4) with a 124g FMJ = 138 PF
    G19, 1064 fps average (SD 3) with a 124g FMJ = 132 PF

11. When you guys are saying "bad/horrible accuracy" are you talking about the bullet not hitting where you are aiming, or are you talking about group size?

I guess I have always used the logic, that if the same bullets leaves the same barrel at the same velocity, then grouping will be fairly consistant.

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I can give you pictures. This was late last year when I realized that while my load was nice and soft and easy to shoot... my accuracy with it was terrible. So I did some testing. On the same day, I shot 3 different loads:

1) WWB
    2) My Solo 1000 load, which was right around 123-125PF (I forget now)
    3) A TiteGroup load, which was closer to 132PF

The pictures are attached, and are in the order I listed them.

You will notice, that the WWB and TG groups are WAY better than the Solo 1000 group (the middle one). Realize, this is not a slam against Solo, because when I boosted it to 132PF, that the group with it was better than any of these. The point is that with that heavy bullet... if you don't get it up to speed it's all over the place. My group here looks more like a shotgun group than a pistol group AT SEVEN YARDS.

That TiteGroup group not being centered is my fault, not the load. When I shot these, I hadn't spent nearly as much time practicing tight group shooting as I should have (and have been doing since). So while the WWB and TG groups aren't dead center... they are at least fairly tight groups. I believe I shot the groups in the order that they're displayed also. I do NOT think the reason for the bad Solo group was me... and this wasn't the first time I had done this testing with that load, just the first time I took pictures. Yeah... I'm done with trying to shoot 147s at 125PF type velocity, my requirements are 133'ish, or nothing.

I think I might have "busted" your theory. I guess I'd advise you to do what I did... start doing some tests with the goal of getting *measurable* metrics, as I did. This little test certainly opened my eyes. And to think.... I shot in competitions for about 5 months with that crappy load. :faint:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  13. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    NP, glad I could shed some light.

14. MarkTX

MarkTX

Mar 13, 2000
    Texas, US

Your only real concern here is if the G26 will function reliably -since I doubt your going to a sanctioned match with chrono testing and all. But given the numbers you have here I would not trust a stock G26 to function with that load. If you had time to test it, it might work -but don't count on it until you test it.

My G27 (stock springs) surprised me a few months back when I tested it with very lite 40 minor loads. My G35 would not function with the stock recoil spring, but the G27 ran fine -go figure.

I will also second what others have said here, bump up your load even for your gamer guns. That 13# recoil spring will make even 135pf seem soft compared to factory ammo. Also, remember in IDPA you only have to have a load that makes power factor in the longest legal barrel for that division. So even if you were under with the G26 you could have it clock legal out of your G34 and keep shooting the G26.

15. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    While true... just because it's "legal" doesn't mean it's good ammo. You might not have seen my post with the photos, but I had been running a light "gamer" load for several months before I started suspecting I had accuracy issues. When I finally got around to test it... ugh.

Velocity/recoil isn't the only part of the equation. If you can't hit the broad side of the barn with the bullet... light recoiling isn't going to be of much use.

16. jmorris

jmorris

Apr 13, 2006
    The load I use is 3.1 of VV N310 with a plated 147 @ 1.160” . It makes just over 130 out of a 34 and 17 and still over PF from the 19. I never chronographed the 26 but it runs like a sewing machine with that load. The 19 and 26 are stock the 34 and 17 have different springs.

17. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    [​IMG]

Well no wonder you had bad groups... you had your target turned sideways. Boy, rookies, ya just can't teach 'em nothin'. :dunno:

Jack

18. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Homie, that's how you set the target when you hold the gun sideways.

Old guys, can't teach them anything. :supergrin:

Don

19. Boxerglocker

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    That is true Mark however unless I'm mistaken with the last rule change. Didn't they make it the competitors responsibility to provide a gun legal for the division that they compete in to use for the purposes of chronoing at a santioned match.

Like I said, I've learned that I now prefer the higher PF loads in my primary game gun and the assurance that my loads will make PF in my back-uo too.

Driving all day overnight for a match in Oregon, Idaho or elsewhere and having you gun break down sucks. Not having a legal backup with you makes is worse.