close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

" Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of firearms. "

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Numismatist, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Nov 2, 2011
    Coast of Maine
    I've searched...is there a comprehensive list of Federal places one is not allowed to carry even with a permit?

My state has a list of banned places but also states:

" Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of firearms. "

Is there a list somwhere? I'd assume Federal buildings, but really looking for a comprehensive list.?

2. oneofthose

oneofthose

May 16, 2007
    I'm curious to see the answers you get here. I think Fedaral building is generally where Federal control ends. The States take over from there.

3. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    National museums?
    National monuments?
    Military bases?

4. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Nov 2, 2011
    Coast of Maine
    These too! Then there's the Post Offices, National Cemeterys, technically isn't the Interstate a Federal Highway?

I really think there should be a list.:wow:

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    As of right now there's also a Corps of Engineers ban on carrying firearms. It's being argued as we speak and they're trying to get it overturned.

One more edit that I'm not seeing immediately is the Federal Reserve Bank. If you don't know specifically what that is you've never had use of one. It's where the banks bank. There are a dozen or so in the US and it is illegal to carry in there.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  7. Huh??? Whuuuut? The Federal Reserve is privately owned...

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    There is a branch here. It looks like the type of place at that one does not just randomly show up and saunter in without having an appointment and some sort of invitation.

9. MotorCityBear

MotorCityBear

Jun 1, 2011
    What about Federal park lands, like the Blue Ridge Parkway or national forests? I have heard (unofficially) you are not allowed to carry in any Federal park.

10. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Aug 14, 2006
    Foothills
  11. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
  12. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Yes but the guards in it are federal employees and they are regularly present to perform their official duties. Now go look at the definition of federal facility.

13. Does this apply to the parking lot of a Federal facility? As an example how about when someone goes to the Post Office or Social Security office and dutifully locks up his/her gun in their car before entering either place? Just a hypothetical situation of course.

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Dunno. No one knows yet. You can find opinions both ways.

I have seen 1 (one, ONE) court case where there was a firearm in the car that got thrown out because a parking lot is not a federal facility because it's not a building where federal employees go for work daily. That's shaky at best.

There's a couple in CO suing USPS to bring their firearms on property. This one's being watched by just about literally everyone:
    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/11/28/colorado-couple-sues-u-s-post-office-over-gun-ban/

15. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
  16. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Jan 17, 2005
    Eagan, MN
    Just not into any buildings on federal park land.

17. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    As I read it, that's onlyi n buildings in a National Park where federal employees work, such as visitor centers, ranger stations etc.
    Restrooms, gift shops are OK unless the're posted.
    Be VERY careful because in some cases he signs are not posted in a high visibility location.

18. Gary Slider

Gary Slider

Nov 16, 2006
    West Virginia
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

Go to this page at www.handgunlaw.us (Link Above) and there is a listing of federal properties that are off limits. One listing is federal buildings. This would be any building owned by the federal government. If you scroll down to National Parks etc Section you will see the federal law stating the buildings must be posted. Seeing that I should have had that federal law in the Off Limits Section I have added that same law that buildings must be posted to the bottom of the Off Limits Section. That change will not show up for a few days though.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  19. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    This is great! Thank you!!!!! I don’t know how I missed this page before.